Taking Finasteride Twice a Day

SkinUpPinUp

I've not spotted this question before, so I'll mention it here.

Given the half-life of finasteride, is there any benefit of splitting your dose so that you're taking it twice a day? If, for example, you take 1mg of finasteride every morning, would splitting it so that you take 0.5mg in the morning and evening be more efficacious?

If the half-life of fin is 5-7 hours, do we know how long it takes for DHT levels to return to normal to the point where it would start aggravating MPB again? If it takes less than 24 hours in total, would twice-daily administration of finasteride help prevent that spike of the drug and keep a more balanced suppression of DHT over time?

Any thoughts or experiences would be very much welcome.

I have recently started taking it twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, in an attempt to see if it would help reduce the oilyness / sebum production issue I've experienced after my HT.

(Proscar 1.25mg each time)

So far it seems to be helping a little. Forehead is not so oily when I wake up in the morning now.

Not sure of the DHT reduction or hair growth benefits though.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Low dose Spironolactone (50 mg) will take care of any oily skin without causing bad side effects. I have a VERY oily T zone (forehead and nose) and when I was on 50 mg daily until I ran out and it worked dramatically to reduce that.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 8 months later...

Here is the actual thread I started a few months back about this: Bill provided this link for me on the half life of finasteride!

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159310-finasterde-2x-day.html

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website