Fine hair and transplants

Guest Nicko3105

Guest Nicko3105

If anyone can help me with this i would be very grateful :D

I have a transplant booked with Dr Feller in New York and I cant wait cause he is an amazing hair transplant doctor. The one question i have is that i have very very fine hair. I am getting 2000 grafts to the hairline and would like to know how much coversage this would give me and the density???

If anyone has any pics of really fine hair transplants. could you please post up some pics as i can only find one or two members pics with really fine hair and the outcomes :confused:

Thanks for your help

Nick

I am getting 2000 grafts to the hairline and would like to know how much coversage this would give me and the density???

The issue with fine hair is that it is much easier to get a completely natural result even with low density. However, if density is the goal it takes more grafts of finer hairs to achieve a thicker appearance due to the limitations of the hair shaft diameter. How 2000 grafts will look on you is unknown because there are no images of your loss to go by. This question is completely dependent on the size of the area you are dealing with. The "hairline" to you may be three or four centimeters of recession or it could mean .5 cm of recession so any answer to your question may or may not be completely wrong.

You should talk to Dr. Feller or Spex about this as they would be best qualified to answer your question since they have your photos.Dr. Feller knows what he's doing so I'm sure his recommendation for 2000 grafts will work out fine for you.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I don't think your hair is that fine from that pic really i was expecting a lot finer from how you were talking about it. :D

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Hi Nicko,

As Spex advised, check out my most recent posts.

I don't know anyone who has hair as fine as mine, and it has been the bane of my life, even before I started losing hair! In fact, I could talk FOREVER about fine hair.

I initially had frontal recession similar to yours I guess, and had 2,167 grafts with Dr Feller in 2008. Due to the extreme fine-ness of my hair though, I required a further bulk up of 1,100 grafts into the hairline, which I had done at the end of last September. I'm now exactly 6-months through that procedure (still very early days), and it's still tricky to tell exactly how my end results will be, although there's certainly been a steady and noticeable improvement since the 3month mark.

Really, I'm just hoping that I can get to the stage where I can style my hair quickly and easy, without having to 'borrow' hair from other sections to conceal fine areas :)

If you have very fine hair, dense packing is essential, and do not set your targets so high - it's very possible that you will need a second bulk up, so ensure that you keep an open mind when going ahead. As Spex told me the first HT is providing yourself with a platform which you can then build on.

Of course that's not to say you will need a second HT - everyone is very different!

Good luck with it, you're in very capable hands. Dr Feller is first class. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

I'll probably post some new pics around the 8month pic, as hopefully they'll be some clear difference between that and my last 4month pics.

Take care!

S

Here's my 4month pics. As I say, I'm at the 6month stage now. It's certainly thickened slightly since then, but because my hair's so fine, I don't think pics do it justice.

Will hopefulyl get something up in a couple of months :)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159321-dr-feller-1-100-hairline-bulk-up-4-months-update.html

Looking at your picture it does seem your hair isnt that fine. 2000 grafts in that area seems a bit low to me I would probaly think that 2015 grafts would be more better ;). Being serious your will have a great outcome and in good hands with Dr. Feller. Maybe when he sees you in person he may change the number a slight bit...good luck!!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Guest Nicko3105

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replys they make me feel alot better :D I am not worries at all about Dr Feller as I can see by his results that he is class at what he does. I am just aprehensive as I had a HT last year and i really thought that would be it for a few years, as i said i dont think my hairloss is that bad and in terms of transplants it wouldnt be that difficult to fix my hairline... obviously with my choice of HT doctor the last time, i was mistaken lol...:P

I didnt think my hair was that fine until the transplanted hair began to grow and for some reason it Looks ALOT thinner than my origional hair (if that makes sense or if that is possible)

I am probably just being really nervous this time or as we call it in ireland " in the horrors" LOL but im sure it will be fine this time around....ill keep you posted anyway :)

Thanks spex for the pics as i am not really good with computers and it took me 2 hours to put those pics up in the other thread :)

Nicko, I agree with those who said that your hair doesn't appear to be that fine. I think that 2000 grafts will give a good result within the marked area.

Were those photos taken prior to your transplant last year? It doesn't look like you've had any work done there.

I'm in the same boat and I have a consultation scheduled for May 9th with Dr. Rahal.

I'm pretty scared that I won't be able to get a reasonably dense hairline because of my very fine hair....

Your hair might not be as fine as you think it is. But Dr Rahal has performed many hair transplants on patients with fine hair. Just make sure you bring up the issue during your consultation.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

How far into the existing hairline are you going? 2000 grafts is quite a bit for that ~3/4 tall area that is marked out.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Your hair might not be as fine as you think it is. But Dr Rahal has performed many hair transplants on patients with fine hair. Just make sure you bring up the issue during your consultation.

I know what you mean Matt but I have ALWAYS been told by hair dressers that I have VERY fine hair but loads of it.

We'll see I guess, my hair looks similar to Skinnyshaft's maybe a slight bit thicker....

Guest Nicko3105

Thanks for your replies :)

@mattj: no those photoes were taken 3 weeks ago after my HT last year, my previous HT didnt do much to my hair , it looks exactly the same now as it did before the HT last year if not a little worse in the hairline....... :confused:

@RCwest, I want to go as far into the hairline as 2000 grafts will go as i want to cover myself for future hairloss, ( basicly i just want to get this procedure done and then forget about my hair for a few years if that is possible, i am sick of worrying about it all the time :mad:

Nicko it was same with me I was sick of worrying and camouflaging so I thought let's do this.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Guest jamesdweaver

As a general rule, the finer your hair, the more grafts you'll require. Thicker, wavy hair tend to do good even with fewer number of grafts.

From the looks of it though, your hair looks okay to me and not as fine as you make it out to be.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nicko3105

thanks for that, bonkerstonker , your transplant looks great.... yea two weeks now till i get mine done to hopefully the front third of my head...... jesus i just wanna get this over and done with lol