Recovery!

Hey everyone, I had my surgery done on Sept. 17th with Dr. Hasson in Vancouver. My only regret at this point is not allowing myself some time to check the city out, it's beautiful up there. I think I'm coming along well, but wanted to get everyone's opinions on a few things.

I had about 3600 grafts done, filling in my crown to mid-scalp and bringing my right hairline and temple in line with the left. It's been almost a full week, and the only thing that drives me crazy is sleeping on the staples. How long do you think I should wait before I start sleeping on the recipient area - at least a little bit?

Also, I'm scheduling my staple removal for 2 weeks - is there any benefit or harm if you take them out much sooner or later? Ultimately, having a tiny 1 mm scar was Dr. Hasson's projection, but I figure you can never be too careful. Thanks!

i started sleeping on recipient area about 10 days post op(after staple removal),and area is still a bit tender, use aloe vera, and try not too scratch the scar(aloe vera helps with itching). You had a surgery form the best surgeon in the business so you should follow his directions for staple removal, you should get great results, now comes the hard part, the WAITING period.

juanc

1000 grafts with dr rosanelli

1000 grafts with Dr. Peterson

1600 (july 17) with Dr. Ochs

i will agree with hairlust. i also had my procedure done with hasson and feel that he did an excellent job. my procedure was about five months ago and dealt with staples for two weeks. i have heard people leaving them in longer, but would advise you to follow the doctors instructions.

i unintentionally caught myself waking up with my recipient area buried in the pillow. i was immediately stricken with panic, but in the long run it had no effect on my growth. i think you need to be cautious but try not to drive yourself crazy over the issue. some people have chosen to sleep in a recliner in order to keep head in place, others position pillows on the sides of the head so not to roll over onto the recipient area.

i began washing my head normally at about 10 days. you will be tempted to pick the scabs on the suture line once you get your staples out and i would advise against this. the scabs will slough off on their own. there will be tenderness above the suture line for some time to come. after 5 months i still have some spots above the suture line with no feeling. it takes time to get total feeling back.

unlike most, i didn't experience a lot of shedding with my procedure. i don't know if that was a function of the doctor or because of my individual characteristics.

i am still fairly new to my procedure and anticipate further gains.

p.s. how was the local anesthesia? the pain for me was unbearable.