Advice for a 2nd HT

Hey all,

Thinking about getting my 2nd procedure done sometime this year. I have diffuse thinning, and it seems to be more prevalent towards the front. My goal now would be to do the front 1/3, saving the crown for a future procedure.

I am currently 29. My 1st HT was in 2006. About 800 grafts in the hairline. I am currently on rogaine and proscar.

I wanted to get your opinions on whether or not I should go forward with this. I already had a consultation with Dr. Siporin, who is recommended by this board. He suggested 1500 grafts in the front third/hairline/temples.

This is a big decision and any help/advice that I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SV-TopBack2.jpg.42ceb08c7a6a2235a20c8487dfe0db34.jpg

SV-TopDown2.jpg.1fed047a262877f220806949d72639b4.jpg

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

1500 is a very conservative estimate, imo. You have thinning all the way back towards your crown, plus it looks like you have straight, thin hair. I would suggest at least 3000 grafts. I would also want to see your pre-op pics from your 2006 HT to determine how much of your hairline is native.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

1500 is a very conservative estimate, imo. You have thinning all the way back towards your crown, plus it looks like you have straight, thin hair. I would suggest at least 3000 grafts. I would also want to see your pre-op pics from your 2006 HT to determine how much of your hairline is native.

thanks for the reply.

are you suggesting 3000 grafts for the entire head, or just the front third?

Between the 2 procedures, I would have about 2300 grafts in the front third alone. Combined with my exisitng hair would give me pretty good density.

The plan would be to do the crown a few years down the line (depending on how I progress).

As of now I cant find any pre-op pics. They were all on my old comp and I cant find them.

I am suggesting 2500-3k for the front, and for the area beyond that (not the crown, the vertex) which is clearly thinning out. I would also place some into your hairline possibly depending on how much of it was native vs. ht hair. One other factor to keep in mind with graft counts though: some guys have more multiple hair grafts, which are great for giving better coverage, especially in the areas that don't require single hair grafts (hairline, temple points). Conversely, if you have more single hair grafts you will need a higher graft count for maximum coverage and density.

At any rate, if your donor hair is plentiful, laxity good, and you can afford it, more is better with HTs, imo.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I am suggesting 2500-3k for the front, and for the area beyond that (not the crown, the vertex) which is clearly thinning out. I would also place some into your hairline possibly depending on how much of it was native vs. ht hair. One other factor to keep in mind with graft counts though: some guys have more multiple hair grafts, which are great for giving better coverage, especially in the areas that don't require single hair grafts (hairline, temple points). Conversely, if you have more single hair grafts you will need a higher graft count for maximum coverage and density.

At any rate, if your donor hair is plentiful, laxity good, and you can afford it, more is better with HTs, imo.

thanks for the advice. Ill talk to the doc about going further back toward the middle/vertex.

I agree that more would be better. However, there are some limiting factors, money definitely being one of em.

The doc felt confident that I would achieve good density from a smaller number. I had originally thought it would be around 2000. Ill see what he says next time we speak.

SV-TopDownDry.jpg.b43063478d85ae63eedcea56bbb1623e.jpg

1500 grafts? sorry dude, i had abt the same loss or less and nothing less than 3k will make a huge difference. I dun concur with your dr's number.

3k seems like a lot given the amount of native hair that I still have.

Ive seen a lot of guys on this site, at much higher NW levels than I am, go in for procedures of 3k, and come out with about the same amount density that I have now.

I figured adding about 2000 should make a solid difference, but I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
I would also want to see your pre-op pics from your 2006 HT to determine how much of your hairline is native.

Hairthere,

found some pics from the original HT. They were on an old thread

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/143360-4-months-spirall.html

either way, I spoke w the Dr and we agreed to raise the grafts to somewhere between 2k-2500. Thanks for the advice/help.

Hey all,

Thinking about getting my 2nd procedure done sometime this year. I have diffuse thinning, and it seems to be more prevalent towards the front. My goal now would be to do the front 1/3, saving the crown for a future procedure.

I am currently 29. My 1st HT was in 2006. About 800 grafts in the hairline. I am currently on rogaine and proscar.

I wanted to get your opinions on whether or not I should go forward with this. I already had a consultation with Dr. Siporin, who is recommended by this board. He suggested 1500 grafts in the front third/hairline/temples.

This is a big decision and any help/advice that I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Spirall,

i would really really really recommend that you go see either Dr. Reed in San Diego or Meshkin in Newport.

• 4 weeks later...
Spirall,

i would really really really recommend that you go see either Dr. Reed in San Diego or Meshkin in Newport.

thanks for the suggestion. have a consult set up w Dr. Meshkin tomorrow.

i think you would extremely benefit from using a concealer...I use TOPPIK...at least for now especially if money is an issue as you indicated above. It literally changes your whole appearance and due to the fact that you at least have some hair throughout your head it will work wonderfully...u should at least try this...it could hold you over while you save up some cash...