Dr. Bernstein

When the best doctors are discussed in this forum, there is usually some mention of Dr. Bernstein, but not nearly the number of comments or level of enthusiasm as some of the others. Is this simply because he is more cautious with donor hair thinning over time and conservative with the number of grafts recommended?

I am very curious because the pictures on his website (and he has posted a lot of them) appear to be superior to most of the other doctors, especially when I view the number of grafts. He seems to do a lot more with less. I am inclined to have a second procedure with him, but want to go wherever I can get the best possible results... natural hair without a visible donor scar when I am 60.

Is there something that I am missing? Has anyone had a negative experience with Dr. Bernstein?

Thanks!

Dr. Bernstein is a great HT doctor. There is not question about that. I think that most people gravitate to other doctors because they specialize in different areas of HT.

That said, you can not go wrong with Dr. Bernstein!

One reason Dr. Bernstein isn't talked about a whole lot is because he is one of the higher priced clinics. He charges $6/graft where other clinics charge $3-5/graft. He gets good results just at a higher price.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dr Bernstein has done extensive research on hair and follicular unit transplantation, techniques and procedures associated with it. He's not only a very good HT doc, but also a researcher and as such he has earned my respect.

I'm sure that other docs put their efforts and time perfecting their techniques and they too deserve recognition....

my 2 cents...

I think the responses here are a bit misleading. It isn't "just" a matter of Bernstein's price; it's his philosophy and results. He's very, very conservative and circumspect when it comes to hairline design, and in my opinion, his graft estimates are usually way too low.

Why pay all that money to go in as a NW4 and come out as a NW 3?

Seriously? I wonder if you have you seen any of his results because they are far better than you are suggesting. I would be more concerned with a doctor offering a megasession to a young client with mild hair loss who could eventually be on their way to a NW or NW 7.

Dr. B is very very good. He is just very conservative in my opinion which is not a bad thing. It is just his philosophy. If your looking for a 5000+ mega session, I would say look elsewhere. He does do a great job with the number of hairs he does move. I would say he does more with less better than anyone.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Dr. Bernstein is not conservative, he's simply cautious when the situation requires caution. I've seen interviews where he has said that one of the reasons why he hasn't had a hair transplant is because he's not a good candidate. I'm sure that there was no way for him to know that he would evolve into a bad candidate when he was 25 or 30 years old. Understanding that, it's easy to see why he turns away younger patients, won't lower a hairline, won't bring temples forward, and won't touch a crown on younger men.

I for one applaud his ethics, and I wish all doctors were like him. Unless there is an unlimited supply of donor hair coming soon, I firmly believe that a lot of the people who have had work down, especially those younger patients, will one day live to regret it.

Dr. Bernstein is not conservative, he's simply cautious when the situation requires caution. I've seen interviews where he has said that one of the reasons why he hasn't had a hair transplant is because he's not a good candidate. I'm sure that there was no way for him to know that he would evolve into a bad candidate when he was 25 or 30 years old. Understanding that, it's easy to see why he turns away younger patients, won't lower a hairline, won't bring temples forward, and won't touch a crown on younger men.

I for one applaud his ethics, and I wish all doctors were like him. Unless there is an unlimited supply of donor hair coming soon, I firmly believe that a lot of the people who have had work down, especially those younger patients, will one day live to regret it.

After my second procedure, I am now expecting to go from a NW6 to a NW3(vertex). Given my age and donor hair, I believe that I will feel more comfortable with a thin crown/bald spot than concerned that my scar will one day be visible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...