Being gentle with recipient area and flakes' accumulation

Hello All,

I am at 2 months post my HT. My doc had advised me to be gentle with my recipient area for about a fortnight and then wash the are with circular motion using your fingers. From what I have read, this is common practice

Now, since a week, I could see and feel areas in my recipient area and those close-by where dandruff like flakes have gotten accumulated. And, they aren't easily removable as I have repeatedly found many such areas even after a thorough shampoo wash. When I use a little force, I could see small lumps of such flakes come off, but I also found some grafts/old hair (I guess most were the recipient grafts) attached to them. Is this a normal occurrence? Is this experience due to my being too gentle on the grafts while I started washing them resulting in them getting accumulated along with flakes? Is there any need to worry? Any pointers appreciated. Thanks

I added a small image of the lump I had mentioned in my post. Apologies for the poor quality, it was clicked using an average mobile cam...

DSC00278.jpg.4790014d7758f43d86764c70930c7152.jpg

Edited by hairsprint
Added an image...

I am in the same place right now (and this is my 3rd HT). What you are seeing is totally normal. Those are the hairs shedding, and the grafts are in a dormant stage underneath. IN a few months they will begin to start sprouting and will do so for up to a year. You can shampoo a bit more vigorously as you do want your scalp to be clean and to get rid of the scabs/crusts. I know it's tough to see those newly acquired hairs go, but it's inevitable. Good growing to you!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I was told I could rub the transplant area very gently after a week or so. Are you saying that you still have these "lumps" now, after 2 months? I think after 2 months you should be able to scrub any flakes off with out doing any damage.

Frank

3 HT’s with Dr. Steven Gabel

2004- 2,855 grafts

2007- 2,789 grafts

2010- 2,010 grafts

View my hair restoration site

I had this same thing happen, but in the donor area. It's because I left my staples in for a long time and when I finally took them out I had accumulated built up dandruff. When I removed it from my head a lot of hair came embedded in it just like in your photo. I'm hoping the hairs were shockloss (I mailed the clinic and they think this was the case). So hopefully these hairs will grow back in the next few weeks/months.

So, anyway, I'm getting this too.

Thanks all for responding..It was really reassuring. I was a little concerned about the lumps' coming off that too with some hair. Now, I understand it is normal. Since my last post, I have had several such experiences, each time less number of lumps coming off than the previous wash and now, finally none. Its now time for the sleeping grafts to sprout out :)

Hairthere - Yes, sad to see all new hair go away. There should be a way invented to retain all hair and the same look you have just a week post HT :D It would look perfect!

Frank - Yes, its after two months. I guess I had been a little too gentle with my hair wash all this while. I started using tips of my fingers only after a month and that too I was too gentle, before that, I was just using my palm to gently pat/wash the recipient area. I guess I should've started applying some pressure earlier than I have