Number of scars

Two part question, if you have more than one fut do you have a scar for each procedure, ex two ht two scars, also since propecia usually is good for the crown area and the donor area usually comes from that area and is moved to the frontal area or top wouldn't this hair be benefited because it originally came from the crown area and propecia would treat it a crown area hair

Horses,

1. No, you would only have one scar, even after two hair transplant procedure. In general, the area in which a strip of follicular unit grafts can be safely harvested (the universal extraction zone) is fairly limited, and the second strip would be taken from essentially the same area as the first. Because of this, it means that your original strip scar would be removed with the additional (surrounding) tissue containing the follicular unit grafts, and a new closure would be applied in its place (meaning whatever sort of scarring occurs here will be the only strip scar on the back of the scalp).

2. Propecia is definitely effective in the crown. However, the area from which follicular unit grafts are harvested is not usually defined as the 'crown.' The reason why follicular units are taken from the back of the head is because this region, for all intents and purposes, is extremely resistant to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) the hormone that causes male pattern baldness. Since these grafts aren't as susceptible to DHT, they can be safely implanted into balding regions and will not fall out. However, the implanted hair 'staying put' has to do with its genetic immunity to DHT, not the fact that it's more easily influenced by Propecia (finasteride). In certain instances, finasteride can be used to help vitalize the donor area before transplantation, but this usually isn't necessary.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Agreed, bad docs would do that.

I've just had my 2nd HT via strip on Friday and Dr. Feller replaced my previous scar with his own. Hopefully the tricho technique will mean this new one will be less visable.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Dan72/albums/496

July 2002 HT #1 - Bosley NY - 1800 Grafts

Feb 2011 HT #2 - Feller Medical - 2372 Grafts

July 2012 HT #3 - Feller Medical - 1702 Grafts (no pics as yet)

I have four scars, one each time. Luckily I heal well and they are hard to find even though the trichophytic closure wasn't around back then.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D