Blood test for DHT level?

decisions2011

For those who take propecia, have you ever had a blood test to measure your DHT level? Is there even such a test?

If it is easy to have this blood test done (via PCP/PMD), would it be adviseable to get a before and after result when restarting propecia?

I am thinking of restarting propecia after a 9month break and was thinking it might be useful to have my DHT level tested now and then again when I am back on the medication (if I decide to restart it).

Certainly. They can test DHT, testosterone, aldosterone, etc. I wish I had thought about it before I started Finasteride. It would be interesting to see a before and after, plus what the initial level was compared to that of the average male.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I had mine tested and i was 120% - in otherwords, 20% over the upper limit of what is considered normal.

BE AWARE that your DHT levels fluctaute throughout the day! Mine was tested at 11am, said to be pushing it. I was told 9Am -10Am is best!

It would be great if there were are reliable DHT home test.

Background

My MPB is chronic. I don't know if there is a scale for MPB aggressiveness, but on the Scar5 scale of say 1-6, 6 being bad) I was a six! or at least a 5.5. Receding temples at 18, by 19 minaturized front, Nw3 at 24.

I'm 47 now. (going on 14!) In 2005, after having dropped Dut (side-effects), losing the hair I had maintained and grew, I decided to approach Fin (Propecia in the form of the generic Fincar (I chose Fincar because it seemed to be the one that didn't require prescription and could be ordered straight off the net))

Just before I started dosing up (1.25mg a day) I took a test. I got so many things tested I can't remember. But the biggie was DHT and the result was interesting, or rather confirming my worst suspicions.

If only I went of prop when my first doc recommended it way back in 1994, I would probably not be on this board being such a bitch. Saying that, recently, I'm losing again.

BE AWARE that your DHT levels fluctaute throughout the day! Mine was tested at 11am, said to be pushing it. I was told 9Am -10Am is best!

Very interesting! Testosterone levels are highest in the morning. So if levels max out between 9 and 10 roughly, then I guess it's best to take the pill when you first get up.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Slightly off topic, but related.

I took a DHT test after I quit Fin (it was part of a test of all things due to my sides) - of course I don't know what the level was whilst on it, but 3 months after I quit it, my level was 3.36nmol/L (with the range being 0.32-1.64!!!)

It took over a year before the levels got back down to 1.25....

My Hairloss Website

HT#1 - Dr Pathomvanich - 2900 Grafts

HT#2 - Dr Pathomvanich - 1500 Grafts

• 1 year later...
a great study would be successful hair transplants vs non-successful and level of dht ..3 of 4 dr's i have had consults with dont recommend dht inhibitors.

Why the heck would a RECOMMENDED HT physician not recommend a DHT blocker??

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

• 1 year later...
Slightly off topic, but related.

I took a DHT test after I quit Fin (it was part of a test of all things due to my sides)

Hey man, have you completely recovered from sides and how long did it take? I would very appreciate your answer because I'm currently suffering from the sides this completely insane drug caused and hoping that recover is possible.

Get your testosterone and free test levels checked too. These can be affected and very important to have base line data before your start.

The fact that Dr's and others dont significantly advise people to do this is disgraceful. They just tell people to pop a drug powerful enough to alter your whole hormone endoctrine system like an aspirin.!

People are left in limbo when sides kick in with no base line data to measure against.

• 2 weeks later...