Advice: What can I do prior to HT to optimize results?

Its interesting that many people on this site have so much in common. Many are serious about working out, take a descent amount of supplements, go extra lengths to improve image and are successful (10k for a HT is not chump change). Oh, and the obvious are all battling hair loss :)

HT #1 Unknown Butcher (1998)

Total about 1500

-------------------------------------------------------------

HT #2 Dr. Alexander (2011)

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

I found the scalp exercises really did help me this go around. In addition to pulling a strip Dr. Feller had to excise my old scar, plus I had a lower scar from a previous surgery to deal with. He said my laxity was excellent, and I honestly could feel that my scalp was looser from doing them. I started mine religiously about 2 months prior to surgery for 10 minutes/day.

Regarding being in shape: before my last HT I was not much of a runner (although I did hit the weights) and when I had the painkillers the adrenaline rush was crazy--my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. Since that procedure I became a runner over the past 3 years ,and I think my body reacted accordingly as there was no rush this time around.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hey Hairthere, I ran a marathon a few years ago but it was easily the hardest thing physically for me because I am basically built like a linebacker not meant for distance. I was my goal for the year and I did not quit.

I am stretching the crap out of my scalp and its getting sore. I am doing it at like 80% of my strength is that right or are you just supposed to kind of move it around at grandma strength.

Having two scars must have sucked. I am loooking forward to one that is not a big lump that hurts whenever I lay down on something hard. I can't wait weeks from today!

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

wow! your taking alot of stuff. If you use the big three to keep your hair does it actually stop hair loss period or it just slows it down dramatically. when am I safe to use the the other two? I'm currently one month pass operation. Heard of rogaine and propecia but what is nizoral shampoo? do most doctors recommend it? all my doctor told me its fine using propecia.

I am just covering all my bases. Since I am spending 10k for a good HT I might as well spend $50 a month to keep as much natural hair as I can.

Actually, just for the last 12 years the Propecia pretty much stopped my hairloss or at least slowed it down to an EXTREME extent. You are totally safe to start the other two bt just like Propecia you will need to use Rogaine for the rest of your life or you will lose the results.

The Nizoral is really just a anti-dandruff over the counter shampoo that has been found by many people to also promote growth. Out of everything I mentioned this is the most uncontroversial. Its like choosing Vidal Sassoon or Dove Shampoo the only difference is you are supposed to use it twice a week but many use it every other day.

Well Rogaine is proven to promote hair growth so for sure add that and the Nizoral is kind of the thing that many people use but is just not tested for hairloss extensively yet.

Like I said Proscar, Minoxidil and Nizoral will cost you $10 month you really have nothing to lose.

I am taking alot but I am having the HT, on Atkins and I am a pill popper anyway :) I would rather take them than prescription meds.

I am seeing a nutritionist today so and I will probably modify my regimen.

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

thanks for the info on rogaine and nizoral! I will definitely try it out, like you said nothing to lose.

before I got my first hair transplant I thought i would have hair almost as natural as a regular person from it. from what you said I think my expectation were unrealistic so It made me very disappointed and depressed

seeing your 7 photos and your profile picture! your hair looking very good compare to before. when and where is your HT procedure?

I kind of thought my hair would look "normal" too. It have heard that you only need half the density for your hair to look normal and good doctors can totally do that. Even though you won't be in a hair product comercial your hair will probably look normal unless some is cutting your hair or one inch from your face.

I used to care alot about what people think my whole life and the last few years I kind of realized even people that care about me really do care/notice if I gain weight or lose a little hair.

I am having mine from Dr. Alexander in March. Check out his patients pics they all would make me happy and he is doing enough that should give me one of the all star hairlines I hope. If not its round 3 in a few years and maybe they will have a cure for baldness by then.

You should takes some pics of your hair wet looking as bad as it can. It actually feels good to let it out of the closet and I bet your hair looks much better than you think. Just cover your face if you want and no one will have a clue who you are.

You are amongst people going through he same thing.

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

Yes, Troy did some great price research &I will be ordering the secretagogue online from now on and save$$$. What is your age Once Shaggy? Cos if yer under 50 this is a great route to go, effective and affordable (compared to injectable HGH, which is around $240/mo).

Troy, thanks for the link! Much appreciated. GotHair, I am 26, so I am not going the real HGH route right now. I've had one HT to my hairline and am currently on generic propecia and some various vitamins. I am aiming to have another one to thicken up my mid-scalp and fill in my temples in around 2 years.

The secretagouge sounds really interesting to me. I'm not looking to get real bulky, but rather a bit more lean. Did this substance do anything positive for your skin? Thanks for starting this thread gents.

I am actually in the process of buying it now. I found this information from a website that does not sell the product. If it does a quarter of that I am happy! I just bough it here herbspro.com and its reallly $41.

"Now, HGH IS truly an amazing substance that has been shown to have numerous, clinically proven benefits. Various studies have actually confirmed the facts. In fact, studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine prove that HGH can:

* Decrease Bodyfat

* Increase Muscle Tone

* Boost your Energy, Strength, and Endurance

* Reduce Wrinkles and Create Tighter, Smoother Skin

* Help sound healthy sleep

* Improve Sex Drive and Performance

* Improve Immune and Heart Function, Bone Density, Healing Time and Cholesterol

* Improve Brain Function, Memory and Mental Focus"

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

Hello Shaggy, yes, the secretagogue HGH WILL definitely improve your skin; ie-make it thicker, thereby reducing/preventing wrinkles plus it REHYDRATES your skin...look at a baby and the reason they look so plump and wrinkle free is because a baby's skin contains around 90%water, whereas our skin (as we age) contains maybe 20% water, depending on your age and lifestyle choices (alcohol, drugs, smoking all decrease water in the body).

The secretagogues will aid in the production of your own natural HGH production (which is not a foreign substance to your body, it is just MORE of your own helpful HGH). Do some research and u will see that I am advocating RESPONSIBLE usage of HGH that is AGE SPECIFIC...if u r 20-40 hrs old, try secretagogues and evaluate your progress in terms of your goals.

hope this helped!

I'll take some pictures and have you guys give advice on it. I noticed when I look at myself in the mirror the lighting and angle of my head makes such a big difference on the density of hair I got. I don't know what to feel excited or sad. I'm kind of scared of what other may think, never really open up and showed anyone before. I basically go to bed with my hat beside me.

Today when I was reading a newspaper I saw an ad for Hair loss. it say Spectral DNC- the world's most effective hair loss treatment. I never heard of this product before. I was wondering if any of you guys use this product and if it really works.

SteelCurtain43,

You can read about Spectral DNC here at the Hair Loss Learning Center. In my opinion its simply not worth the money when compared to generic minoxidil. The added ingredients have no proven effect on hair loss.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi Shagster, I assume u r referring to a specific brand of HGH secretagogue as I know nothing about fin, rogaine, etc since I don't use any of them. I personally use AGELESS since it also contains several somatostatin inhibitors that short circuit the HGH production shutdown in the pituitary gland when the presence of HGH is detected; in other words, you will produce MORE HGH naturally even though your feedback loop would normally tell your pituitary to shut down HGH production. It is very important to cycle usage properly; 5 days on and 2 days off; 6 weeks on with 2 weeks off. This type of cycling will allow your body to remain healthy and not burn out your pituitary gland since you are allowing it to rest regularly.

When you restart a new cycle after 2 weeks off your pituitary is tanned, rested and ready to run! This is the same cycle you would follow if using injectable HGH. I use AGELESS at bedtime on an empty stomach (crucial to uptake) and inject HGH upon arising in the AM, thus maximizing my own natural production of HGH at night and augmenting my levels in the morning. I am in my second resting week now and am still seeing fantastic results in my HT progress; I also see amazing body comp/skin improvements during these off weeks as well.

I highly recommend having blood panels done before and after 6 months initial usage to monitor your IGF -1 levels; you want to know what increases in HGH levels you are achieving. Then you can tweak your protocol to achieve maximum results.