Post HT Toppik usage

Hello All,

Its been a month and a half since my HT. I was experiencing a receding hairline and most hair was placed on the front portion of my head. I had a haircut about ten days back in an effort to make rest of my hair about the same length with respect to the transplanted hair. However, since I didn't want the scar at the back to reveal itself, I had to stop short cutting my hair too short. I have been thinking of using a concealer till the time the new hair grows to a decent length. Now, to my questions,

1. Is there any harm in using a concealer after about 45 days after a HT? (if at all I can use it after a HT)

2. Will the concealer harm/hinder the growth of new grafts that have been transplanted in anyway?

To more generic questions on concealers in general,

1. Based on user experiences, which are the best brands? Are Toppik, Nanogen and Dermmatch the top three popular and used brands? And, which is the most widely used? DO all brands behave the same way in conditions such as excess sweat/windy conditions etc?

2. How much of supply would someone need to use the concealer for about a month's time?

3. Also, does one also purchase a locking mist/liquid with the concealer? I see it getting sold separately

I appreciate your expert comments. Thank you for your help :)

Note - Since this post also covers generic questions on concealers, I have posted the same thread under 'Non Surgical treatments' section

Edited by hairsprint
Added a question on locking liquid

In answer to the second part of your post, I've found Toppik far better than Nanogen - particularly when used with the Toppik pump-dispenser and the hold spray. I've used it for some years and it's been brilliant - barely detectable when you have longer hair and it's not too thinned out already.

I'd like to know the answer to your first questions myself, as I'm just post-HT and I'm worrying about looking thin between shedding and regrowing - I was told not to use any chemicals on my hair for a month following surgery, and I'm counting Toppik as chemical. Dreading my hair looking thin and not being able to conceal it before the month's out, though.

I can also comment on the second part of your question and concure that Toppik is the best I have used. I tend to buy the 'fibre hold' spray from the same place. It seems fine in the wind and fine rain, although it certainly wouldn't hold out in a down pour! I tend to take an umbrella with me if there is a chance of rain, just incase!

I would also be interested to hear whether it is safe to use it post HT since I am due for my HT next Friday.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Dan72/albums/496

July 2002 HT #1 - Bosley NY - 1800 Grafts

Feb 2011 HT #2 - Feller Medical - 2372 Grafts

July 2012 HT #3 - Feller Medical - 1702 Grafts (no pics as yet)

I can also comment on the second part of your question and concure that Toppik is the best I have used. I tend to buy the 'fibre hold' spray from the same place. It seems fine in the wind and fine rain, although it certainly wouldn't hold out in a down pour! I tend to take an umbrella with me if there is a chance of rain, just incase!

I would also be interested to hear whether it is safe to use it post HT since I am due for my HT next Friday.

Dan,

Just be sure to wait until your epidermis is healed before re-applying Toppik post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for your comments. I found a couple of pots online on concealer usage after a HT. can-i-use-toppik-after-a-hair-transplant and is-toppik-causing-my-hair-loss-to-speed-up. I guess the general opinion is that its safe to start using any concealer after about a month after your HT to be sure it doesn't harm your grafts ,though I have read about doctors advising usage even after a week's/ten days' time

I read about Toppik resulting in green colored sweat :confused: when you are working out or out in the sun. Has anyone experienced such a situation? Does Naonogen behave the sane way?

Also, how REAL does your hair look after the application? Can someone standing close to you figure out something fishy happening with your hair?! I have only seen demo videos, does it look good under real harsh lights too?

Edited by hairsprint
Corrected a spelling!

I've never had green-coloured sweat, but when wet and in the sunshine the mid-brown one I use can sometimes appear yellowish. That's the only drawback I've had.

Trick is to try and avoid getting the fibres directly on your scalp - the best results are when they stick to the hair shafts themselves to thicken their appearance up - then just lock them in with the fibrehold spray. Those problems with sweating / rain making it run don't really occur when the fibres aren't lying directly on the scalp too much.

Would DEFINITELY fork out the extra for the special applicator though - makes a HUGE difference from just sprinkling it on.

Cool, thanks gillenator :)

hairsprint, I think the overall effect depends on how much hair you have for it to attach itself to. I also find that it looks alot more natural at the crown and top than at the frontal hairline. I always avoided talking to people up close when out in bright sunlight or overhead lights.

Funnily enough, after working with one of my colleagues for over 7 years, I finally mentioned to her that I was having a HT due to thinning and that I use a concealer to mask it. I was really expecting her to say "OOOOHHHHH is THAT why your hair looks strange" or similar, since I was always so paranoid that she was looking at my hairline. She said she had honestly never noticed anything at all and that whatever I was doing, it worked really well. I was shocked to say the least! Amazing what your own paranoia does eh?

As for the green sweat, I have experienced that! I now never use toppik when I am at the gym, I always wash it all out and wear a baseball cap. My hair is very dark brown so I wonder whether the green effect only happens on the darker toppik shades? Unsure.

The only other thing I would mention is that if you are using a fair amount of it, it does have a tendancy to look a bit matt coloured, rather than having shiny and various tones within if that makes sense? To counter act that, I use a tiny amount of wet look hair gel over it, just to give it a bit of a natural shine.

My hair is pretty thin at the front and crown so alot of the toppik would end up on the scalp, but I can imagine that if you have more hair, the result is pretty decent.

Hope this helps :)

hey,

Never used toppik before so wanted any advice on the following:

is the spray attachment you can purchase any use?

same for the hairline comb applicator?

what colour to go for eg: same shade as you hair or lighter/darker?

i have read that the old spray applicator was more effective than the current new one?

Thank in advance,

Haha am exactly the same Dan72 - part of my reason for finally getting the HT is that I'm sick of worrying about whether my hair will get wet and the Toppik will run... ;)

LOL, gawd what a palava! I'm so sick of the routine, seriously. I can't stay over at a mates house without taking a towel to lay my head on and make sure I get up earlier than everyone else so touch up the bits that have rubbed off. Paranoid about the rain (it's a running joke that I take an umbrella if there is 1 cloud in the sky!). I HATE putting that stuff on my hair and am sick of worrying about it. I am looking forward to not needing to use it again.

Oh, and how romantic when a girl wants to run her fingers through it..... :rolleyes:

Dan72, I totally share all that! So fed up of packing all the applicators, sprays and such like every time I go away - have forgotten the meaning of 'travelling light', lol...

Would echo what another poster says above about the matt colour - good tip about using another product to give it a more natural sheen. One thing I'm paranoid about is sitting under direct lighting, as it kind of shows up the unnatural finish - looking forward to not caring about that any more!

In reply the question about the applicator / hairline widget Toppik sell, I'd DEFINITELY recommend the spray applicator - get the newer one with the rubber pad on the top (think this is the only one they sell now) as the older one (which had the rubber pump to the side) had some issues getting blocked in my experience. Not good if you're in a hurry and hoping to get ready quickly!

The hairline template isn't a lot of use in my experience - using the applicator you can get whatever result you want without fiddling with that. Definitely get the fibre hold spray though - it isn't the same as normal hairspray (I did wonder and tried normal spray too!) so it's well worth it despite the cost.

hey,

Never used toppik before so wanted any advice on the following:

is the spray attachment you can purchase any use?

same for the hairline comb applicator?

what colour to go for eg: same shade as you hair or lighter/darker?

i have read that the old spray applicator was more effective than the current new one?

Thank in advance,

I can't comment on the spray attachment since I've never used it. However, I would say don't waste your money on the hairline comb thing, it's ridiculous! As soon as you move it, all the fibres fall on your forehead anyway so it is of no help whatsoever in my opinion. I would say use the same shade as your hair. My hair is dark brown, I tried light brown which looked daft and was impossible to blend in, and also tried black which looked very unnatural.

• 3 weeks later...

If u r talking abt toppik, there is defn this green sweat thing. For those who said they have not experienced, maybe u did not check in detail. Just sprinkle some black toppik into the sink / toilet bowl and leave it there for half an hour. The water and fibres will turn into jet green :) very very dark green but definitely not black. When mixed with saltish sweat, it will turn into lighter green which can be a distress at times. Nanogen does not have that problem though :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• 2 months later...