Why is losing your hair so funny to people?

People, in general, love to voice their opinion and point out what their "viewpoint" is. However, those same people, are the one's who many times get highly defensive when a comment is directed towards them.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I can guarantee anyone who pokes fun at hairloss hasn't experienced it!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 3 weeks later...

If you put things in to perspective losing your your hair isnt really that bad compared to what some people go through, Yeah i agree losing your hair does suck but just get on with things and dont let it rule your life, Im a NW5 and have shaved my head for 2 years now and it looks ok, Of course id love the choice to grow it again but shit happens, Life is to short to let it worry you , Enjoy your life.

I was best man at a friends wedding at about 22 and I had experienced some hair loss. Sitting around the living room of the soon-to-be-married-couples apartment, a friend of the bride said to me, in front of a group 'you know you're losing hair but you're still going to look good' (or words to that effect). :eek: She was about 27, older than me and chubby. I know that it wasn't intended to be nasty, but it shows you the ignorance people have. I was pretty embarrassed but I ignored it. I could have pointed out the fact she was a bit of a fatty but I chose to just take it, (It was the first time my issues had been raised as a topic in a group, but not the last!). Oddly she was surprised when I refused her advances and 'romanced' her friend after the wedding reception. Overall though I found a woman will rarely mention it, its other guys who will give you hassles about it, and I think its a fear of baldness itself. There are of course vindictive types who will be quite cruel but thankfully these people are few and far between.

• 2 months later...

To whoever says "You are losing hair dude."

Just say "Thank you, Captain Obvious." (You can say it snidely, humorously or any way you want)

It works well and is not too out of line for you. You can make it funny or vile or somewhere in the middle.

Anyways I think it's also a cultural thing. I'm glad to be living in Vancouver, Canada, the politest country in the world and haven't been pointed out by anyone that I'm losing hair or why I hair a cap so much or that my hair looks funny. I know since I am originally from India and if I was currently living there, I would be a big goat for any one to poke fun at me. They make fun of everybody there and I guess since they make fun of everyone's faults and laugh it off, it kinda helps the person become strong inside since birth and can get ahead in life despite his faults. They have names for disable people. For example, if somebody lost one eye, 'one-eyed' would become his new name among the children and teens and even some adults. Names like baldy, four eyes, shorty, boils (for acne) are pretty common and get stuck to you if you have any of these traits. Everyone makes fun of everyone else. Lucky few don't have anything to be made fun of. This usually goes on till you are about 40. Obviously you hate it when someone makes fun of you, but it's acceptable for you to make fun of them back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mates!

Unfortunately, laughing at the faults of other has become big business in comedy and it seems no subject or group of people are left out. Even rape and pedophilia are used in humor in today's culture so how sad is that. The reality is one's own self confidence and esteem are key to getting by the rude and ignorant behavior of other people. We still live in a society where people look for the difference as a source to ridicule others to ultimately make themselves feel better.

The great things is for hair loss sufferers there are more and more options HT being one on the very best for many. So, don't get down...choose the social correction that best fits your situation; but certainly be sure that people will always behave unacceptably and media promotion of this as funny makes it a reality of life.

All the best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 1 month later...

Some of the most insensitive people are actually medical professionals. When I started wearing a wig to work ;the ICU. nurses actually made fun of me. None of them asked if I was suffering from a disease or even chemotherapy. It got so bad I had to speak with nursing director to bring it to a stop