Hairline Work

For those of you who've had hairline work done (either FUE or strip) and are far along the post-op phase, I was curious how much a difference you think it has made to your overall appearance and how satisfied you are with the results. I would think even a small procedure would make a substantial difference as the hairline is big part of someone's look.

Hairlines are important, just look at bad plug jobs in Joe Biden and Chuck Schumer, they're bald behind their frontal hair plugs but still you see their bad hair plugs ahead of their baldness.

Think how good a well done transplant can look in compare.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

The hairline sets the tone for the whole job. It frames the face. A good hairline with thinning behind it looks better than a badly receeded hairline with thick hair in the middle.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

i agree that the hairline is the most important aspect of hair but when people are paying the prices they do for HT's I think the expectation is the total pacakge...hairline, mid-scalp, crown, etc...

also the hairline is the first thing to go in MPB...therefore getting a HT when there are signs of hairloss in the temple areas is probably not the best idea...as the hair behind the transplanted region will likely be lost.

hairloss and HT is a fickle conquest...

Thanks gentlemen for the responses.

Moses0324, I can see where you're coming from though I have to respectfully disagree with regard to getting a HT for only the hairline area. For instance, in my situation the Propecia is able to maintain the crown and mid-scalp regions and there was only some loss in the crown area in my family during the later years in life as opposed to just the hairline. It's understood that with the typical MPB pattern I will likely have to commit to HT in the future should greater loss occur but that's not necessarily something I'm opposed to.

I do think you are spot on about expecting the total package though.

Moses0324, I can see where you're coming from though I have to respectfully disagree with regard to getting a HT for only the hairline area. For instance, in my situation the Propecia is able to maintain the crown and mid-scalp regions and there was only some loss in the crown area in my family during the later years in life as opposed to just the hairline. It's understood that with the typical MPB pattern I will likely have to commit to HT in the future should greater loss occur but that's not necessarily something I'm opposed to.

what happens when your body stops reacting to the finasteride and DHT resumes its effect on hairloss. i have read that finasteride loses its effect after 7-10 years. then what. your hair continues to be lost with no real solution in sight. you have built your hairline but the mid scalp and crown are bare. that would look a bit silly to me. who knows maybe you even progress to a NW 6 or 7 at which point a HT is not advisable. instead all your donor hair is in the front (awkward looking).

nothing with hair ht's is a slam dunk. everyone should know that going in. to convince yourself otherwise is silly and ir-responsible.

Under that logic then to you it would not ever make sense if there was any further progression in hair loss which is inevitable for most which I don't believe makes sense. If I rebuilt a hairline and the Propecia stops working after ten years and gradually over the next several years the other portions erode, that's at least a decade and a half of improvement. Because something isn't there 100% should not detract from its value.

With regard to no real solution in sight, why couldn't I just have another HT in a few decades? If I progressed to an NW 7 where this is not a good option I'll cross that bridge when I get there but I find that hard to believe for the sake of argument that this is everyone's predicament.

For instance, in my situation the Propecia is able to maintain the crown and mid-scalp regions

One of the difficulties is that no individual can really know whether finasteride is actually "working" for him or not. It's possible the finasteride isn't really doing anything for you, and you would have maintained the same amount of hair even without it. It's also possible you'll still lose the hair even though you are taking finasteride. It really is a crap shoot -- finasteride is helpful for men who are just trying to preserve their existing hair and nothing more, but it's very tricky when you're depending on it to maintain native hair upon which a HT is based.

Because something isn't there 100% should not detract from its value.

That's generally true, but hair is often (and unfortunately) one of the exceptions. Sparse or thnning hair can look worse than no hair, which is why many men with MPB choose to shave their heads.

You certainly may be right about Finasteride maintaining the crown and mid-regions. One observation I noticed is that my recession mostly stopped when I started taking the drug about three years ago and the front (not the temples but the center) had some regrowth which was noticeable. Needless to say, I am happy with the result for now as it seems to be lasting.

i think all we are saying is like i mentioned

"nothing with hair ht's is a slam dunk. everyone should know that going in. to convince yourself otherwise is silly and ir-responsible. "

so to try and respond responsibly to the threats we are bringing to your attentioned is ill advised...not trying to deter you from a HT just know that there are many unknowns. which is why i am holding off for now...hoping something better comes along.

Actually, I did have very, very slight thinning in the crown area before I took Finasteride and now that seems to have recovered. So at least for now, I know for fact it has been working to some extent in my situation.

Actually, you don't know that. It's possible for hair to sometimes go through temporary thinning and regrowth for reasons unrelated to MPB.

I disagree. I absolutely guarantee I'd lose more hair if I stopped taking it. I experienced shedding an a small amount of regrowth after a few months. Family even commented on this. To attribute this to something else is highly improbable. Believe me, I'd stop taking it if it was so iffy. What is your experience with it?

HAIRLINE HAIRLINE HAIRLINE... Thats the most important feature, thats why you see doctors being names kings of hairline etc, its the art and the beauty, have you heard king of crown or king of midscalp, nobody cares so much, hairline is so important cause thats what they will see in a photo, IMO i guess if i didnt have enough grafts from my crown or midscalp, easy i would shave all of my head. Atleast i would have sprouts of hair in the front that will give the illusion of not being bald andno more shiny mirror you can say lol. There is no medicine proven for hairline, hair transplant is the only only answer. plus wait for hair clonning in the future to fix up the rest of the scalp but by now. HAIRLINE period.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]