Looking at Surgery: Opinions Please

7DRR

Hello,

I'm a fellow hair loss sufferer wondering if I could solicit a few opinions from the more experienced members of the forum. A little about me, I'm 30 years old and I've been balding for about 5 years now but only recently started doing something about it about 8 months ago. Though this is my first post, I've done quite a bit of lurking and research regarding this topic here and on other forums about drugs and restoration surgery and would like to think I've done my homework(knock on wood).

I've been on proscar/dutas for about 8 months now, I think it has helped some but I'm fully committed to getting the procedure done with Dr. Feller and will be scheduling the consultation as soon as I raise the amount for the surgery. In the meantime I would like to submit a few pictures I've snapped just recently and would like some feedback from others in the forum. What Norwood scale would you classify me as? Am I good candidate for surgery in your opinion? Is FUE even a possibility at this point or would I go with the Strip? Any wild guesses on the number of needed grafts?

I realize these are questions that can really only be answered by a professional. Nonetheless I know many forum goers here are pretty experienced in these areas and any of your opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Without further ado, I attempt to attach some pictures. They are taken in the bathroom, with flash. Apologies for the quality as I admittedly know nothing about photography.

Thanks for reading

IMG_2181.jpg.64976fb752659b2ad8003cfab0e82356.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg.b0b443e94fe9bf0f68815647f81ee2f1.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg.d2be06cb340fdfe8650f76b84e3dfc8a.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg.4c7a3719694cf6e46444f33a626a5694.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg.0b6aa92467a973469fe38e30fc506fe5.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg.20970c1e08c4b84b39f23069b3f9134d.jpg

I personally leave the graft estimates to the doctors, but I'm sure someone will give you a figure.

I'd say that you're a NW2. Couldn't put you any higher than that; although you do have thinning through the top of the head too (as I'm sure you know.) Presumably you are only seeking hairline work.

So you're using a Fin/Dut combo to fight hairloss? When you say it has helped, do you mean that it has re-grown hair for you or that you've noticed a stabilization of your hairloss? As you won't be having surgery immediately you'll probably have a better idea of exactly how successful the treatment has been by the time you've raised the money.

As you've settled on a doctor, your best bet is to ask him about graft numbers and whether he considers you a viable candidate for FUE. Until then, you won't even know how much money you need to save!

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the reply Matt. I was thinking more NW 3 but I appreciate a second opinion. I am thinning all over the scalp but the fin/dutas has really seemed to put a stop/reversed that trend and when my hair is even medium length you can't even really tell.

I'm not actually combining both drugs, I usually take one or the other at any given time, just recently switching back to the proscar. How much it's helped I can't state as empirically as I'd like. I was given the advice to get on one or the other and don't even look at my hair for at least a year, which for as much as I had been obsessing over it seemed welcome advice. I can only say that my hair seems thicker and to cover more than it did before on my scalp and crown as well as at the margins of my hairline. Thinking of adding Minox, but worried about shed.

Thanks for the feedback.

The NW scale is open to different interpretations. Some would put you at a 3. I tend to reserve 3 for when the recession is a little deeper.

I'm not sure that switching between Fin and Dut is a great idea, although it apparently hasn't done you any harm so far. Dut is a much stronger drug than Fin and switching can cause shedding. 8 months is still quite early into treatment, and presumably you changed to Dut even earlier on than that, so you never really gave Fin a chance to show you what it would do for you.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

What is your family history of hairloss? I would definitely hold off on HT surgery until your hairloss pattern becomes a bit clearer. Perhaps grow your hair out a bit more and still differently--it will give you more coverage/density.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hi Guys!

May I chime in?...

Hi 7DRR and welcome to the forum.

From looking at the photographs you have attached to your post I would personally say you are around the NWII spectrum (at best), the hairline seems to have maintained a solid shape would you say that this area was lower during earlier points of your life? Or possibly the hairline has been in a higher position? I am not doubting that there may be diffused loss throughout the hairline region, however unless my eyes have been swayed by the accompaniment of a few bottles of Sav Blanc tonight I fail to see any strong recession at this point. Seeing as you have only been on meds for 8 months I honestly would wait it out, many others will state 12 months is the standard minimum time to observe full results but from a personal perspective I managed (slight) ongoing results into the second year period. (Utilising one of the medications you describe, Proscar)

Are you self medicating with your Dut/Fin combo? I would highly recommend having a physician monitor this, self medicating is not an intelligent ideology.

I agree with Matt’s statement regarding the idea of giving Fin a shot on a sole basis and documenting the process. I could be biased as Dut is a far stronger drug as previously noted which I would not use. Just my opinion.

You haven’t stipulated if you are seeking hairline restoration or additional work to be performed by your chosen physician…I am guessing hairline?

You may find it difficult having the vertex area where there is potential early signs of thinning/miniaturization planted into. I too am seeking somewhat similar work but alas I am sadly realising it is indeed a dangerous game when disturbing the native areas.

Matt is correct, only the chosen Doc can truly give the correct estimate of grafts, taking future loss into consideration will most likely be the Doctors initial concerns, especially if you are seeking to have the hairline lowered.

Maybe toy with the idea of trying out Minox? You could always start off by one application per day in the preliminary stages, that way it may not have an initial impact or cause shedding.

Cheers,

Edited by MusoInOz

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

I'm finding it difficult to form an opinion on this, because I think you have a pretty good head of hair but (like me) a fairly prominent forehead.

I would suggest sticking to one medication for another few months, it is pretty clear that your hairline won't improve but you may thicken up further at the top/crown.

You are a good age for a transplant, and a doctor renowned for great hairline work might be able to give you a really nice result, but bear in mind that transplanted hairs are going to look coarser / more wirey than your existing 'soft' transition zone.

Definitely try to meet some past patients to have a closer look, I imagine doctors will be advising you to fill in the sides / temples to complete a new hairline but I understand this is a very tricky area to get right.