How many grafts can the average person get?

I know this depends on variables, but Im just speaking on averages.....How many grafts can an average person get? And on FUT how many times does that equal being cut from basically ear to ear in the donor area?? Please help

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I know this depends on variables, but Im just speaking on averages.....How many grafts can an average person get? And on FUT how many times does that equal being cut from basically ear to ear in the donor area?? Please help

i think the average is probably 6 to 8 thousand grafts a per but some people have 10 thosuand with above average density...my doctor told me I have above average density

NEWHAIRPLEASE,

Adam is right on target. As you say, there are variable involved but I'd say 6 to 8 thousand is a good generalization.

This can relate to any number of procedures. It may only be two megasessions or a patients may opt for several smaller procedures due to cost or other factors.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Newhair,

David and Adam both provided accurate assessments, and I just wanted to mention that there are also other variables to consider: density (as Adam mentioned), laxity (looseness) of the scalp, tendency for scar stretching (although this technically wouldn't limit the number of grafts, it should limit the width of a strip removed in follicular unit transplantation), etc.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

6-8 thousand via strip sounds about right, however, you can maximize your donor potential with fue surgery once you are "stripped out."

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Yep, it's important to remember the FUE potential on top of strip. The numbers above sound about right, but you rarely see that full potential reached. How many 7000+ graft cases do you see? Obviously they exist but they are relatively few and far between. It makes you wonder if patients' financial limits are reached before their graft limits. Or perhaps patients' needs are usually met before their donor is maxed out. It would be interesting to dig deeper into this.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

It is really important extract as many grafts in the first session. This is very important.

And matt, great call about the $$. This also needs to be taken into account (no pun intended).

Each individual surgery is different so just because one person had 7k grafts removed doesn't mean you will.

Great thread everyone!

Hi friends ! Though I've an average sized head, as can be seen in my thread, my doc says that there's a potential of about 8000 units. According to him, I need about 5000 at present. How should the donor be handled/utilized to save some for future rainy days ?

• 2 years later...
6-8 thousand via strip sounds about right, however, you can maximize your donor potential with fue surgery once you are "stripped out."

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but have I read this correctly out of curiosity, you can get 6,000-8,000 grafts from FUT, and yet still get more grafts from FUE? If so, are they from the scalp and how many hundreds/ thousands of grafts would be available after using up all strip grafts?

I always assumed that you simply limited to this amount of grafts, regardless of whether you do FUT or FUE (or both), and that the the scalp was limited to this amount of grafts with any extra amount having to come from the body, e.g. from the beard area below the chin.