Dr Gabel patient – 3405 grafts to the frontal scalp and temple restoration, 1 session

This patient is a 61-year-old gentleman who desired to have his hair restored. His main priority was the frontal and mid-frontal scalp. Examination revealed a Norwood Class V/VI pattern. He had only wispy hairs in the mid-scalp. The donor area hair was black with a moderate amount of grey hair as well. The hair caliber was moderate in size. During the initial consultation, I demonstrated to the patient the value of also restoring the temples. Since this patient had significant recession of his temples, it was important to restore that area as well which would help in the overall framing of his face.

This patient had 3405 grafts placed in the hairline, frontal and mid-scalp, and grafts to recreate his temples. The breakdown of the grafts:

1’s: 704

2’s: 2045

3’s: 644

4’s: 12

The following photographs show the preoperative planning lines, which were drawn the morning of surgery, the immediate postoperative photographs, 3-month postoperative photographs, and 6-month postoperative photographs. At the 6-month mark, the patient’s hair was really starting to grow well.

The regrowth of hair following a transplant is nicely illustrated with this patient. Since he is only 6 months out from his procedure, he can expect to have a lot more growth over the next 12 months. He is currently using minoxidil on a daily basis. He plans it to let the current transplant grow out for at least another year and then return to fill in the crown.

Prefrontal1.jpg

preheadtilt.jpg

preheaddown.jpg

preleft.jpg

preright.jpg

Immedfrontal.jpg

Immedheadtilt.jpg

immedheaddown.jpg

Immedleft.jpg

Immedright.jpg

3mfrontal.jpg

3mheadtilt.jpg

3monthheadtilt.jpg

3mleft.jpg

3mright.jpg

6mfrontal.jpg

6mtilt.jpg

6mfulldown.jpg

6mleft.jpg

6mright.jpg

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

This will be a very nice lookinig job when it finishes growing out. One question though, will his scalp always be pinkish? I notice his scalp hasn't returned totally to normal and I've seen that a couple times although rare.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Nice work dr. Gabel!

Rc: the pinkness in my scalp lasted until about 8 months. I'm sure this patient's will eventually fade completely too.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Nice work dr. Gabel!

Rc: the pinkness in my scalp lasted until about 8 months. I'm sure this patient's will eventually fade completely too.

Thanks! Usually redness is gone a whole lot sooner. I guess fair skinned people takes longer to return to normal. I wonder if getting a good tan before a HT would make the redness blend in better and heal sooner? Seems like darker skin either heals quicker or blends in unnoticeably.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

This will be a very nice lookinig job when it finishes growing out. One question though, will his scalp always be pinkish? I notice his scalp hasn't returned totally to normal and I've seen that a couple times although rare.

Thanks for the positive comments.

In terms of prolonged erythema (pinkness), it varies between person to person. I’ve had some patients that the redness was gone by the time the sutures were out in 7 days; I’ve had others where it lasted several months. I wish I could predict who is going to have longer erythema and who is not, but I explain to patients that it all eventually fades away.

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dr. Gabel,

Excellent work on this patient. Given his degree of hair loss and I think those 3400 grafts are already offering him quite a transformation. I look forward to seeing what the next 6 months bring. Please update us when he returns for a follow up.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Lindsey and David - I appreciate the positive comments.

This patient has been absolutely thrilled with the results and has been great coming into the office for periodic checks and photos. It allowed me to show his progression and growth.

Thanks.

Steve Gabel, M.D.

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Dr. Gabel's Website