How gentle do you need to be to recipient area after a HT?

Hi there, new poster here. I have been considering a HT for quite a while now and have been reading this site for a long time but haven't posted until now.

I've got pretty much all of my questions answered but there is one thing I'm really curious about I haven't seen anybody talk about. After the procedure is done, what prevents the hair grafts from getting pulled out? Are the donor hairs long enough to show or are they flush with the skin? All I can imagine is rolling around in my sleep the night after getting a HT and pulling all the hairs out. Obviously this doesn't happen but... why?

Thanks!

SupaG,

Welcome to the forum!

Once transplanted, the hairs will have the appearance of a buzz cut until they eventually begin to shed and the new growth cycle begins.

You have to be very careful with the recipient area post-op. Your doc will give you specific instructions but, typically, you will sleep at a 45 degree incline for a week to ten days. After 10 days, the grafts should be firmly anchored below the scalp.

For more on sleeping after a hair transplant, I recommend reading the following article from our Hair Loss Q&A Blog:

How Can I Sleep Comfortably and Still Protect the Grafts After Hair Transplantation?

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

After the procedure is done, a crust forms on top of each graft and it is your body's healing mechanisms that secure the grafts in place. The important parts of the grafts would be underneath your skin - although you will see short hairs above the skin, as David mentioned above,"the hairs will have the appearance of a buzz cut".

You would need to be very careful for the first few days as a graft could be dislodged if you accidentally bump your head. Each clinic has developed their own post operative care instructions which should be carefully followed.

Generally speaking, the (frequency/chances) of losing a graft (postop) are remote if you follow your clinic's post operative care instructions.

I hope this helps.

Louise.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

After three days of post-op healing, it's pretty difficult to lose the grafts from normal activity. From most of the post-op instructions that I have seen, most only require sleeping at an elevated position for three days. The goal is to keep the recipient area moist and maintaining an optimal healing environment.

The crusts that develop are the tips of the grafts above the scalp line which will eventually dry out and fall off after approximately one week of healing. Typically the stubble of hair within the graft will come out with the crust. Usually the post-op instructions will instruct the patient to pour a mixture of shampoo product and lukewarm water over the recipient area without scrubbing the area. No pressure rinsing either. After 7- 10 days, normal shampooing can resume.

If any crusts still remain at 10 days post-op, many suggest the patient getting more agrressive in scrubbing the area to remove any remaining crusts.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It is definitely common to lose some grafts in the first couple of days.

Louise is right, each doctor has different instructions for proper care of the scalp. Usually a book is provided that shows exactly what the doctor wants.

Typically by 48 hrs the grafts are well secured. That isn't to say they cannot be dislodged, but it would have to much more than just an accidental "bump" against a hand, pillow, etc, etc-

As for those first 48, as per above, most clinics have similar guidelines involving elevation of the head of the bed, post op washing, etc. I've got to say, I myself am still amazed after all these years that the procedure is so consistently, successfully, reproducible! It really is a great procedure!

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors