Have you heard of PropeciaHelp.com?

Robert7

PROPECIAHELP: Unresolved Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects info & forum

I came across this last night and, have to admit, it's disturbing! Anyone know if this info is reputable? Obviously there are gonna be risks with any medication, but the attitude on this site (and others) is relatively nonchalant compared to that site.

Thanks in advance for any info/thoughts.

Although I wouldn't totally condemn that website I'd say it represents about the most fundamental dislike and disdain for finasteride you can find on the web. I would take a lot of it with a pinch of salt; whilst I don't doubt the stories of some of the people on the website they often post up theories, therapies and ideas that are, frankly, bizarre. Some of them are on dozens of different drugs and supplements in an attempt to re-balance their endocrine systems, often on the advice of other equally unqualified suggestions. In other words, I wouldn't dismiss it completely, but the extreme views posited by a lot of those users represent a tiny, tiny fraction of the finasteride-taking world.

The simple fact is that finasteride is mostly safe and mostly sife-effect free for what would appear to be a big majority of its users. It's generally accepted that finasteride (whether propecia, proscar or generic) is taken by millions of men; let's say for argument's sake it is 4 million. If it's true that, on average, a reported 2% of men will experience some sort of side effects, that would be 80,000 men with some sort of finasteride related symptom (ED, loss of libido etc.). If we say of those 80,000 around 5% experience "moderate" to "extreme" side effects, that would be just 4,000 men with what they would consider severe and/or long term problems.

Obviously those numbers are largely plucked out of the air, but my point is most people who take finasteride seem to do just fine. The remainder of people that do experience problems generally have mild or temporary symptoms. There are some, however, that do seem to experience quite significant side effects that do not resolve. The number of those men is tiny in comparison to the overall user base - but just because it's tiny it doesn't make those particular sufferers feel any better!

Basically, this is a hairloss site, where as propeciahelp is a site very specifically for men who feel they're experiencing intolerable and long term side effects from the drug even after quitting it. As you can imagine, the users of propeciahelp are very angry about the drug and will look for any evidence from any trial of any size that suggests the drug may be dangerous or more severe than the FDA acknowledges.

The simple fact is the jury is still largely out on finasteride. It appears safe and usable, even in the long term, for most men. But the Merck study, even though it was large, couldn't possibly account for how the drug would effect everybody. Indeed, it would now seem some men have perhaps genetic or medical issues with their own endocrine system that finasteride wreaks havoc with and causes all kinds of problems. This is not medical fact at the moment (in another words it's not an independently observed medical phenomenon), but there are enough people claiming serious side effects to make a convincing case that a tiny, tiny number of men experience major problems with the drug.

In short, if you take finasteride you're much more likely to stay fit, healthy and side effect free, or to have mild symptoms that disappear or cause you no problems. This website represents what I would call a pretty 'average' range of finasteride related opinions: most people tolerate it well, some have minor side effects, very few have reported more major side effects or longer term issues. Propeciahelp is purely, purely for those who feel they've been hit hard by the drug. Therefore I see it as essentially as a real but bias community (and I mean that as no disrespect to them). On the surface it looks like a lot of men having serious finasteride problems. In context, however, I think its user base is only 1-2000 big, a tiny fraction of the overall finasteride taking world.

You unfortunately have to make your own mind up on finasteride. I'm still on the fence with it myself. I am not taking it and even though my logical brain tells me it's been trialled, approved safe, and there's very little chance I'd experience problems with the drug, there is a part of me that sees some issues I still don't feel are resolved. Genuine long term data for thousands of men hasn't been collected. In addition, it can't be forgotten that it still essentially works by artifically altering the balance of your endocrine system. Most men don't seem to notice any problems, but it's quite a fundamental bodily change for what is essentially a cosmetic issue. I would be happy taking medication which works in less invasive ways (minoxidil, for example), but finasteride requires in my opinion a more profound decision on whether you're happy to have about 60-80% less DHT in your system for the rest of your life. I know I'm wasting time by not getting on the drug, but personally I haven't quite built up the courage or comfort in knowledge this is the best trade off. Many people on this site have taken the drug with nothing but amazing hair growth or stability, and have been that way for a decade or more.

It's sort of like anything in life though. If something affects you positively with little or no negative repercussions you'll gladly tell anybody it's great stuff. If it negatively effects you in a serious or long term capacity, however, you'll be angry and frustrated that such a drug could even be on the market. The vast majority of people fall into the former camp; that doesn't make it any easier to be in the latter camp though.

Keep researching on finasteride and make your own, informed opinion is my advice. Propeciahelp might be worth a read but it's the strong views of a tiny community - not some sort of underground 'truth' applicable to everybody on the drug. Keep objective and keep your opinions unbiased and you'll hopefully make the right decision on finasteride for yourself!

Robert,

Because that forum does not appear to include any blatantly promotional services, I will leave it up for the time being. However, I must say that I feel it is biased and that you should really pool your research regarding Propecia/finasteride from a wide variety of sources. Additionally, promoting an agenda can be just as detrimental as promoting a product or service, so keep in mind that this link could potentially be removed in the near future.

Personally, I would keep a few things in mind: first, remember that the most vocal individuals are going to be those who did have side-effects from the medication. It's far more likely that someone who's had a poor experience is going to comment compared to an individual who took the drug, stabilized their hair loss, and didn't miss a beat ( over 97% of users). Second, according to most reputable sources, less than 3% of finasteride/Propecia users experience any sort of side-effect, and nearly all report a complete reversal after stopping the medication. Additionally, it seems like persisting side effects in some individuals could be caused by a psychological issue associated with a general anxiety toward hypothetical side effects in the first place.

However, I don't want to make any crass assumptions or dismiss the stress of those who are suffering side-effects from Propecia. Like any prescription drug, there are pros and cons associated with taking the medication. In this instance, I personally believe the pros outweigh any potential cons, but all hair loss sufferers have a right to decide this for themselves and chose how they express their feelings toward any issues. Altogether, if you're considering using this medication (or having anxiety toward potential side-effects), I highly recommend consulting with a physician specializing in hair restoration and really asking tough questions and deciding whether or not the medication is right for you.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for taking the time guys; very helpful. For the record, I started Fin three days ago (after much thought), so I'm just trying to get over any lingering uncertainty.

Blake, please feel free to take down the link - didn't mean to break any rules.

There's nothing wrong with the site. Its people voicing their experiences on Propecia on the forums. It also contains doctors blogs voicing their opinions and what they have seen from the use of Propecia with their patients.

If you think about the amount of people that take Propecia, there's bound to be enough people having side effects to start a discussion forum.

Don't let it bother you if you aren't having severe side effects, which the majority of people on this website will be having.

I've read the website before and it is scary, but only if your having bad side effects, after being on Propecia since about 2002, i've only had very minor sides.

Sparky has it spot on. Propeciahelp is for the most part 'reputable' strictly in the sense that patient and doctor reports are true and honest, but it represents a small minority of millions of propecia users. The problem with the site lies not in what is said, but in the bias representation of propecia it gives.

It's a bit of a silly comparison, but think of it this way. Somebody could create a "Pro-propecia" website strictly for men that have seen dramatic increase in the hair all over their head from the drug. You'd probably have a rare few thousand men sign up to that site, posting pictures of their hair and waxing lyrical about how much they love propecia and how it's given them a new head of hair and new lease of life. And then you could take propecia and find like, for the mass majority, you in fact have only mild or moderate regrowth in the crown/vertex area, or perhaps only manage to hold on to your hair rather than grow any. The the pro-propecia site would look dubious to you; all these men bragging about how amazing propecia is! You'd think: "I took it and it was pretty good but not nearly as dramatic, are they really telling the truth?".

The point I'm trying to make is that propeciahelp is not a "bad" website, or in any way false, but as a standalone site it is misleading. It makes you feel propecia is some drug that is secretly ruining the lives of many young men and the whole use of finasteride is some corporate scam where everybody stands to lose out. But the point is, propeciahelp represents a tiny (though unfortunate) number of finasteride users. In the same way very few people are likely to experience total, dramatic hair growth just by taking propecia, similarly very few people are likely to experience severe or long-term repercussions and side effects.

So, yes propeciahelp is a "real" site, but it's a tiny majority of men discussing their views of the drug. The choice will still ultimately have to be yours regarding the risk of using finasteride, but context is everything with the internet.

i was a member once looking for some general advice in regards to finest and found the site to be full of the most negative and helpless people i have come across.................. i would take what ever they say with a pinch of salt!!!! make your own opinions and just try the medications out:D

Hey guys,

I just wanted to state that I don't think any sort of message boards for Propecia patients or website where individuals voice their concerns regarding side effects is a 'bad thing.' However, I just want hair loss sufferers (especially on this site) to be aware of both sides of the coin (like Sparky mentioned). Additionally, my comments about removing the link was on a potentially promotional level, nothing to do with censoring content.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted my experience with Propecia in another thread but let me just say here the official stats for how many patients are experiencing problems with Propecia are BS. You'll find many people supporting the use of Propecia are actually experiencing side effects but they would personally rather have hair and put up with the sexual problems. That doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, it's just that they are OK with the side effects. Personally, I was not and would never be OK with loss of penis functionality no matter how much hair it grew.

I posted my experience with Propecia in another thread but let me just say here the official stats for how many patients are experiencing problems with Propecia are BS. You'll find many people supporting the use of Propecia are actually experiencing side effects but they would personally rather have hair and put up with the sexual problems. That doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, it's just that they are OK with the side effects. Personally, I was not and would never be OK with loss of penis functionality no matter how much hair it grew.

Agreed, do not buy into that whole 2% experienced side effects fubar, I can assure you its much greater then that. There are much more then 2% of the ppl on this site that have side effects, now apply that to the entire population.