What does scar stretching look like?

I was reading some recent comments by members like John Malloy who seem worried about their scar and its stretching. And worried that this is noticeable to people they first meet.

I got surgery from MHR 10 years ago and the scar has never been my concern because my hair grows on top of it and it's invisible. *shrug* So why is this a point of obsession for some? And what happens when it stretches, how does it look any different?

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Questions -

So even if your hair is grown out, the scar would be visible?

Do you mean it stretches vertically so that there is a visible lack of hair?

Can anyone post a picture?

Can that kind of scar not be revised?

My Hairloss Blog »

Look at My Hair Loss Website, "Day of Hairline removal and scar repair - Pre - op"

You can see me scar there, the reason I didnt have a revision is because it is below the ocipital bump, and was advised that scars stretch more when placed this low.

So in that last pic, is that evidence of a stretched scar? When the hair lay flat over it (as opposed to pulling the hair up, as in the photo), was the scar not covered up at all? Sorry to be dense, just trying to get an understanding of what it looks like.

My Hairloss Blog »

sparky ,

Six procedures all strip so stripped out ! your scar looks good was it scalp hair or beard hair just out of interest

thanks

ej

I've noticed you've had a lot of work, but posted no pics. Any reason?

Also curious how in 6 procedures (!) you're not to a point where you're satisfied. Or are you?

My Hairloss Blog »

Hi Multiplier ,

I will get round to starting a blog and get some pics up . Back in the " good old days" before the internet you had to rely on Drs being honest about there skill level and results, being young and naive I had a procedure of about 130 plugs circa 1991 . The Dr stated it was state of the art long story short my journey has been one of repair since then , have a look at google www.thewislangcase.com ( hope its ok to provide a link if not please accept my apologies and remove )

I had 2 procedures in the uk to repair, at the time a procedure was 400-500 minigrafts , i think it would be fair to say the work i have had done in total , could today, be done in 2 -3 procedures ,I had 1000 single hair grafts in the USA to the hairline and a couple of years later I made the mistake of going to a company in Greece who really damaged my donor . When you look at scars sometimes you see just a white mass upon closer inspection some scars like mine are stretched but the cosmetic damage came also from permanent shockloss were the hair did not grow back, leaving the scalp looking white I think the term is necrosis , this is why its important to view live results and not solely rely on photos.

I had a look at Sparky`s blog and others and its great to see good results with fue into the scars I think thats an option for me , I cant go with scar revision as I dont have the laxity , on a level of satisfaction Im getting there !

Regards

ej

Thanks you guys for the info and answering my dumb questions.

Sparky I just read your comment, "....one to remove the worst of the grafts from the hairline and use those and normal fue into my scar..." That makes sense, although I didn't even realize doctors did that. So for someone like John Malloy, fues into the scar would solve the problem well, no?

My Hairloss Blog »

Scar stretching looks like this attached photo. Often a combination of high skin tension after closure and genetic potential for producing poor scars.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

9.jpg.a67b00b890f580241acd0fc570488c1c.jpg

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I would like to know the answer, too. Also: how often is the scar stretching the result of doctors' practices, and how often is it the patient's physiology?

My Hairloss Blog »

• 2 weeks later...
The move after seeing that would be to cut it out and re-suture it with a tricho closure. I'd assume Dr Linsdey would use stitches as hes done about 800,000 of them!

Hi: Long time lurker but first time poster.

In your opinion is a re-suture and/or FUE TS the only feasible options in cases like this to remedy the scar?

A year later after my FUT my scar looks just like this. I have to leave my hair at a 6 or 7 cut in order to hide mine. From reading this thread I must have poor healing properties that I was unaware of.

I'm extremely self conscious about my scar being that I have to deal with customers and vendors all the time. But I'm also not excited to have to be seen with a scabby suture that I have to apply dressing to that makes my hair look all mashed up and greasy for weeks.

I'm also worried that a re-suture may end up just like the original scar but only worse.