Hairline dense packing question

Just a quick question, I want to fill in the corners of my hairline and have been quoted 1700 grafts, the forlock in the middle is solid but is not as long as my hair behind it, so do you think i should have the forlock shaved and have hairs placed there so it grows to the same lenght as the hair transplanted to the corners? :confused:

IMG-20101106-00025.jpg.8c16eaca06555f8280a509f3240fc7c0.jpg

20101107-00026.jpg.899e899756437993f918ab14523c0d08.jpg

personaly i would concentrate on the corners and leave the middle fore lock well alone as once you place hairs in amoungst hairs you may reduce the quality and density of your native hairs... i think you should use the whole of your quoted grafts and any extra left over in restoring the temple sides and then worry about extra density or coverage when the time comes!! as your fore lock looks good and will look even better and thicker enough as it is with the sides filled in.:D

personaly i would concentrate on the corners and leave the middle fore lock well alone as once you place hairs in amoungst hairs you may reduce the quality and density of your native hairs... i think you should use the whole of your quoted grafts and any extra left over in restoring the temple sides and then worry about extra density or coverage when the time comes!! as your fore lock looks good and will look even better and thicker enough as it is with the sides filled in.:D

But wouldn't that look really unatural to have the hair in the temple region longer than the forlock in the middle?

longer?

match the density of the forelock on the sides then the same coverage will look good and in regards to length then get a har cut?

1800 grafts isnt alot and im afraid if you do the whole front it will be to thin?

all hair will grow just some slower than others just grow it out and thencut to same length when the sides have matured..... the last thing you want is thin sides as that will look even more silly

It's hard to assess the quality of the hair in the forelock in those photos. If you say it's not growing as long as the hair behind it then it could be beginning to miniaturize meaning that it might not be around for long. To just fill in the temples and leave that area untouched could make any benefits of the surgery quite temporary.

Are you taking any medication for hairloss?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Mr1986,

Matt brings up an excellent point: are you currently utilizing preventive medications (like finasteride/Propecia or minoxidil/Rogaine)? These will definitely help stabilize the loss (especially any thinning in the midscalp, behind your frontal forelock) and really allow you to utilize the quoted 1700 - 1800 grafts wisely when you do finally undergo hair transplant surgery.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Mr1986,

Matt brings up an excellent point: are you currently utilizing preventive medications (like finasteride/Propecia or minoxidil/Rogaine)? These will definitely help stabilize the loss (especially any thinning in the midscalp, behind your frontal forelock) and really allow you to utilize the quoted 1700 - 1800 grafts wisely when you do finally undergo hair transplant surgery.

No im not taking any form of medication. The hair behind the forlock is fine, it grows long enough that i can style it to where the temples are not showing.

because dense packing is well known to comprimise blood flow in the recipient area tempory during surgery and this results in the shock loss which results in many natural hairs in the recipient area being shocked and shed out leaving you bald and even though it is tempory many hairs that are already weak due to the process of mpb and the effects of dht such as miniturisation often do not grow back (so your forelock would be a high risk area for this). which is why taking medication like finest helps to strengthen hairs prior to surgery to help minimise the risks mentioned above happening! also any natural recipient hairs will grow thicker and longer which will help with all over density! so when you have your hair transplant hopefuly the finest will already have you hair looking thick so the grafts will grow in an look great in due course also:D

because dense packing is well known to comprimise blood flow in the recipient area tempory during surgery and this results in the shock loss which results in many natural hairs in the recipient area being shocked and shed out leaving you bald and even though it is tempory many hairs that are already weak due to the process of mpb and the effects of dht such as miniturisation often do not grow back (so your forelock would be a high risk area for this). which is why taking medication like finest helps to strengthen hairs prior to surgery to help minimise the risks mentioned above happening! also any natural recipient hairs will grow thicker and longer which will help with all over density! so when you have your hair transplant hopefuly the finest will already have you hair looking thick so the grafts will grow in an look great in due course also:D

Thanks for the info, how common is shock loss? i've seen other people on here with the same problem and they have gone ahead and had their corners restored