Importance of meds before HT??? (pics)

I've gotten some mixed answers to the following questions and wanted some the vets help guide me along here...

I'm 44, never been on hairloss meds, but am aggressively pursuing HT options at the moment. I'm a Norwood 3V, but note I've always had deep recesses (no hair) in the temporal region to the left and right of my forelock (cant wait to change this!!). Some miniaturization taking place in the frontal core and hairline. Good donar area. Don't think I'm necessarily losing it very rapidly. Hope to go the FUE route, if possible. Major concern is hairline. (I attached some pics)

How important is it to go on meds (propecia) PRIOR to HT to stablize the loss (and possibly add some hair)???

Obviously I dont want shedding or shock loss to interfere with the best possible outcome, but would hope not to have to wait another 6 months to a year before undergoing the procedure...

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3957.jpg.1644eb322d1b228173ebb9a4fb294c26.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg.0cadb701fc65e295ae4ef26dd178ccfd.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg.fd7f1a008a2b507815ed0e82c431157c.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg.88504a0df5a2ce9681f47cf9e99ff514.jpg

Yes, I have visited with several Drs and have several visits scheduled in the near future.

I dabbled with monoxidil probably 10-12 yrs ago in the vertex but found it very messy (smelly) and not conducive to styling my hair. I will be starting propecia/proscar soon.

I have visited these boards off-and-on for several years, but only recently have conditions in my life meritted taking the plunge.

best advice and info i can offer is,

finest will reduce the risk of you perm losing your native hair that gets effected by trauma during the HT it will also bring back some hairs that are on the brink of being lost for ever and help reduce the risk of severe shock loss!!!!

inregards to minox if you can get 5mg loniton (oral tablet minox) an take it, it will give u better results than the lotion and no itching or styling issues

throw in some 2% nizoral shampoo every 10 days and some healthy eating and living....

also think about adding some multi vits,omega oil,msm supplements

and that is as good as you can get......... this will help restore dying hairs and all round hair health

also after looking at your pics i would say go for it fue would be the perfect option for you, no scar and only 1000 or 1500 grafts to rienforce hair line would frame your face and no doubt make you look years younger i think go for it....

fue i would strongly consider dr feller

good luck:D

Azjoe,

I highly recommend investigating preventive methods like Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride). Additionally, if you'd like to consult with a physician before utilizing any of these therapies, feel free to review and contact one of our recommended hair restoration physicians.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

azjoe1, I was in about the same condition as you are when I was 44. Meds are tricky. Do a ton of research. If you do decide to take them I think it's best to wait a year to see how you respond. That will give you a better idea on your best HT strategy.

You already wear your hair short, but I'd also recommend going even shorter for at least 6 months to see how you like it and how others react. Some people look great shaved down, which would be the best scenario.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

azjoe,

You sound like you've been around the block about this already and you know the conventional wisdom is to take propecia for a year and see how you respond. Yeah your hairline isn't pretty and I hear you I think. So Minox isn't gonna help your hairline、nor propecia, so why not get a blood profile to see where your DHT levels are at. I found I was at 120% if that makes sense. 20% over the upper level. Then weigh up propecia, if ur willing to try (Propecia is fine with me, Dust was a disaster) get you hairline filled and see what the drugs do for your crown. If you go FUE, you have the option of retreating.

Hey Scar5,

Is a DHT blood level an accurate way to assess your rate of balding??? I never thought about doing that--thanks for the heads up!

Thanks everyone for their insights, much appreciated!