Weird hairloss.

Hi, I'm only 16 years old and I have a question.

For some reason at 16, I have a receding hairline. This does not run in my family, my dad is losing his hair however it started at around 40. My mom did mention something odd, she said her father who was is dead from a heart attack or stroke at 35, had gray hair in his 20's.

The weird part of my hairline is it is receding, which is odd at age 16. It started at 15 and I didn't really notice it until people mentioned it to me and then I did some research. The really strange thing is I actually did not lose the hair. It's just not growing. Theres really small hairs in my receding hairline, that look normal but they are just not growing. It covers the whole receded part of my hairline on both sides. I am losing no hair at all in the back or thinning.

I am a 1-2 on the nordic scale.

Anyone know what is going on..?

Any advice.. ?

Maybe your just getting a mature hairline early?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

It could possibly be an early maturing hairline. Genetic balding essentially happens when genetically susceptible hair follicles are sort of "strangled" by DHT and other chemical and hormonal culprits. What happens is over time the follicle produces progressively weaker and usually smaller hair until eventually it might stop producing any hair at all.

Seeing tiny "vellus" hairs in the hairline would indicate that's what's happening to those hairs. Most men - even those who don't go bald - end up with a slightly receded hairline. It's possible that your hairline has just receded at quite a young age. If you see no signs of loss in the back or any other thinning then perhaps that's all it is.

Although in the last couple of years I have started thinning when I look back the hairline at the temples started to recede slightly when I was probably only 18-20. It didn't notice at the time (because I wasn't concered I was going bald) but in reality that was probably just my 'maturing' hairline (unfortunately my body has decided it wasn't mature enough and has kept going!). To some extent I think that was separate from my actual pattern baldness because I went between the ages of 18-25 without any appreciable further hairloss.

Hairloss is complex but I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, just be vigilant. Feel free to post some pictures if you want more detailed opinions and, of course, get to a doctor if you want further examination. Although your Dad didn't start balding until his 40's you may not necessarily take his genetic traits with hairloss and you may experience more hairloss than him (or less, it's equally possible).

Do you tie your hair back or keep it pulled taught in any way? There is the possibility it could be traction alopecia or something similar, though that doesn't sound like it's the case. Ultimately I'd say keep an eye on how things go but don't worry about it - chances are you're just maturing and your hairline is showing it, perhaps at a younger age than most. If it gets any worse or causes you too much concern, see a doctor and talk options!

• Moderators
The weird part of my hairline is it is receding, which is odd at age 16. It started at 15

I started losing my hair at 15. My mom noticed it first because she used to cut my hair when I was a kid. At age 16 I had a lot of thinning in the crown. By 17 I had to start doing a combover as I then had a lot of thinning over the entire top of my head from front to back. By 18 I couldn't cover the bald area in back no matter how I combed it. By 19 I could no longer cover the top or front with a combover either.

Now at 43 I still have a lot of tiny hairs in the corners that don't grow.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

have you tried any product already? You are at the young age where you can try a lot of what is out in the market and if it doesn't work by the time you are in your twenties, perhaps if you were so inclined consider HT.

Just my opinion obviously from the outside