Should I be concerned?

It's been around 15 months since I had a strip procedure of around 1000 grafts and the top of my head is still a bit numb, and the scar at my donar area is still sensative. I'm wondering if these issues will eventually go away over time or if these are going to be permanent post-surgical affects since it has been around 15 months? I also wonder if the reason that the scar area is so sensative is because of scar stretching? However, let me brief you a bit on my tp history. Before this session, I originally had about an 1800 graft session on my frontal hairline and temples. After about a year, I was underwhelmed about the results and went in for a touch up of about a 1000 grafts. Thus, since the first scar came out perfect with the tricho closure, and the post surgical effects went away within that year, I thought that the second procedure would be no problem, but apparently that didn't happen. Anyway, even though I digressed, does anyone have any helpful advice on this situation? By the way, My clinic is highly recommended on this board in case you're wondering, and I don't want to mention the name since I'm contemplating some more touch up work as well as some work on my crown, but I'm not sure that's a great idea unless my current issues subside. Thanks.

it is really hard to give advise on your situation with out pictures im affraid!!!!

but in general 15 months post ht you scar should not be sensitve although evry one is different

also whay did you go back if the 1st procedure didnt give you your desired results

pictures of the final results of both HT 1 and 2 and some of the scar would really help us advise you as.... we just summising otherwise im affraid

also have you spoken to the clinic about this as if you have now had 2 not good results why would you consider going back a 3rd time???????? personaly i wouldnt go back if i had 2 underaverage results...... may be only for a free scar revison if the scar was that bad

Edited by j1j9j85

Well, the scar isn't huge or terrible, it may be 1.5-2 mm in width, which is still acceptable, especially at the length that I wear my hair, but it isn't as undetectable as the first procedure. I guess that my issue is that it still feels a bit tight and it's still sensative to run a comb down, and yes, I did see my dr. this past summer and he thought that my discomfort would subside. Also, he did offer to do a free revision, but we both agreed that cutting my head open again probably wouldn't make that much of an improvement, especially if I was thinking about getting another procedure. As to why I went back a second time is that I went in a class 4v, the dr. told me he'd only be able to get around 1400 grafts and ended up with around 1800. Thus he filled in the hairline and temples. Consequently, I knew that I might need another procedure somewhere down the road, especially if I wanted to fill in the crown, so I went in for around a 700 graft touch up and wound up with around 1000 grafts . Now, however, I'm thinking about getting the crown done, along with adding more density to my hairline, and the dr is reasonably sure that he can minimize the scar, too.

Is your scalp only lax enough to do 1000-1500 at a time, or are you doing it as money allows?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

buccap,

I can't speak to long-term or permanent numbness from hair transplant surgery but I can speak from experience regarding numbness from another type of surgery. About 4 years ago I had orthognathic jaw surgery to align my upper and lower jaws. I was told prior to that surgery that there was a small chance that nerve damage would occur and I may permanently lose some feeling.

As it happens, the feeling in my right side came back in the first month while I've experienced a degree of permanent numbness on the left. It sucks but not bad enough that I would exchange the feeling for my former condition.

I would assume that this type of damage is possible in any type of surgical procedure including hair transplants.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for all the replies to my post. To answer some questions, I was told that my scalp is somewhat tight, I can't remember what he gave it on a number scale, so that probably does have something to do with my situation. Also, from what I've researched on my dr, he does take a bit of a conservative approach, which I don't mind because it helps financially and it does give me a wait and see approach down the road to get more work done Iif I choose In fact, he did inform me that he'd like to reserve the right to work on me in a couple of years to fill in the bridge between the hairline and crown which would probably thin, which it is. I guess the bottom line is that I never did get a substantial amount of grafts to start with, I want more density in my hairline, (greed- most balding people would be happy with what I have), and I want to chase the balding pattern and possibly fill in the crown area, but I'm concerned that if the tenderness and numbness don't go away... Thanks again and any more input would be appreciated :)

Well, I hope it's not permanent. Although I'm concerned about the slight numbness on the top of my head, I'm more concerned about the tenderness of my scar. There is specifically one area on the scar that is very tender and the tissue is very soft in that area, almost as if the tissue hasn't healed, and sometimes it's difficult to sleep on that area. Now I know that this isn't normal after 15 months, but I'd like to know if my window of healing has completely passed? Anyone? Any doctors on this board who'd like to comment or advise?

Again , not HT related , but i had a op on my leg and a inscision was made up just below the inner left part of my knee (only about 1.5inches), that was in 2005 , to this day there is hardly any feeling going over , across and down my shin (when touched or scratched) so MY guess would be when incisions are made through skin passing through certain nerves, theres a chance things like this can happen

Hmm..., TTP mentioned jaw surgery and you, mentioned knee surgery. Those were probably surgeries of necessity, unlike a ht, which is superficial and selective. While I see your analogies about possible nerve damage complications, and I get it because I've also had surgeries on my knee, I guess I'm disappointed with my situation because these possible compications were not really brought up with any of the consultations that I had with the different surgeons I visited, if at all. And yes, I know all the info was in the disclaimer that I signed and everything, but again, I feel that the possible complications were really understated. "Yes, cutting skin in surgeries can cause nerve damage but it's extremely rare!" from what I was told by my surgeon, and they've never seen it happen, too. All I want to know is if my situation might resolve over more time, and if it won't, is there anything I can do? Would any surgeon/moderator/guest like to adivise or join in?

Edited by buccap
spellin mistakes

Well, I guess I have to come to the conclusion, from the responses to my thread, that nerve damage can be a consequence of any surgery. Therefore, since ht is a surgery, one should be aware of the very real chances the they'll have some sort of long-time post surgical complications. Consequently, although I'm pleased with my outcome, I would strongly councel anyone asking for ht advice to weigh the pro's and con's of having more hair vs. the pro's and con's of having possible long term scalp discomfort. Again, I'm hoping my situation changes, but after 15 months I'm not really hopeful:confused: