Splitting Grafts

I had a HT performed about a year ago and the results weren't good. I've visited with another HT doc recently, and after looking at my scar he said there's no way they could have gotten the supposed 1500 grafts out of such a small area unless they split the grafts, which he claimed was a horrible technique. I can't recall for sure if anyone at the prior clinic told me they split the grafts, but it seems like they may have explained how their technique enables them to use less donor area -- which sounds like graft splitting.

Does anyone know more about this? Is graft splitting a poor technique?

Thanks!

Graft splitting can go both ways. Graft splitting IMO should only be necessary if their isn't enough 1 haired grafts for the hairline. All the top doctors on here dissect the donor strip into the natural follicular units, which is why they achieve nice full transplants. I would be upset if all I got out of 3000 grafts was 3000 hairs :rolleyes:

Edited by RCWest

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Rhino,

From what I can tell, many clinics do participate in this practice. However, I don't think there is anything inherently unethical about splitting grafts. It seems as if practices split follicular unit grafts when they need smaller, 1-2 (or singular) hair units for refined areas of the scalp, like the hairline. The controversy comes when clinics allegedly split grafts simply to charge patients more money (on a 'pay-per-graft' type of scale). However, most of the information regarding this practice seems to come from anecdotal evidence via the internet, and I truthfully do not think it is common at all.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

if the pricing system ie pay per graft would be changed then this would put an end to the whole debate once and for all! as then option simply would not be there for splitting grafts for payment!!!! every hair transplant get a hair count it should be pay per hair not graft its the only way to standardise it from patient to patient!!!!!