does the recipient area have to be fully shaved?

I got 600 grafts done at MHR 10 years ago and am researching another session now, here in NYC. I have met with both Dr True and Dr Feller and both were very impressive.

One thing that freaked me out a bit talking to Feller was that he prefers to shave the whole front and crown before performing surgery. For better or worse, this was definitely not the case when I got surgery originally. My hair then was medium length. I don't really want to go from having the appearance of moderate/thinning hair, to no hair on top for 4 months.

So my main concern is how I will return to work after surgery with the entire top of my head shaved. I cannot shave the entire head because I don't want to expose the previous donor scar. How do patients hide this? Dr True never mentioned shaving the whole recipient area. To be honest, it's a major hang-up for me. The first time I had surgery, there was plenty of natural hair that covered the scarring, so returning to work wasn't as complicated.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Shaving is not a requirement for many docs but it will make much easier for the doc and his team if the recipient area is shaved. Mine was shaved for my 2nd procedure. I just wanted to do anything that would make it easier for them. I know you don't want to expose the previous donor scar. This is how I covered it during my ugly-duckling phase. I just told people I cut my own and screwed up. It worked like a charm. Within a couple months I was back to normal. Not fun, but doable.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136508-concealer-donor-w-pics.html

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks Aaron. So didn't the 2nd surgery leave you temporarily bald down the middle but hair on the sides (judging from the pics)? Or did you shave down to the stubble all the way around. That's what I'm worried about, that the effect would be too severe compared to how I wear my hair now. If it came down to it, I could potentially wear a hat and/or work from home for the first month or so.

My Hairloss Blog »

Check out the early months on my blog. It wasn't pretty the first couple of months. I shaved all the way around. But look at the result and I think you'll agree it was worth it in the end.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

>Also... how come the doctor said to avoid cosmetics (Toppik, etc) the first 6 mos?

I had poor results from my first procedure. I think it was because I went to a below average doc. But just to make sure, Dr. Paul recommended that I keep away from dermmatch the first six months (Toppik would have been ok, but since I kept my hair so short it wouldn't have worked so well). There are some theories that applying the dermmatch could effect growth. It's not exactly proven, but better safe then sorry.

Check out the early months on my blog. It wasn't pretty the first couple of months. I shaved all the way around. But look at the result and I think you'll agree it was worth it in the end.

Thanks. So what did you do to cover the redness, bumps, etc, for the first 2 weeks? Did you wear a hat? Did you go right back to work, or take a week off?

My Hairloss Blog »

Thats a question being asked very often. Spex always say this and i remembered this statement that got me over the hump. Focus on wat u have to do, and not wat u want! Often we refuse to do this refuse to do that and yet ask for perfect end results. I know there are docs out there who can perform without shaving. However, i feel that it makes it much much easier for the doc and the team to transplant with a shaved recipient. Its like planting on a bare land or with some remaining but dying trees sprouting out in an area of two. Focus on the end result dude. It will be worthwhile.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

The first two weeks I locked myself up in my apartment - finished a dissertation in the process :) . I had to start a new job at three weeks. I didn't really do anything to hide the redness or bumps. It sucked and wasn't pretty at first. But no one really seemed to know the difference. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. But they didn't say anything.

I had to start a new job at three weeks. I didn't really do anything to hide the redness or bumps. It sucked and wasn't pretty at first. But no one really seemed to know the difference. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. But they didn't say anything.

When the job started, though, didn't they notice the 2 scars in the back? Even with the dermmatch, they still seemed evident in the photos, though maybe I'm noticing because I'm already aware they're there.

My Hairloss Blog »

To be honest, no one said anything about the two scars. Maybe it was my explanation that I was cutting my own hair and accidently gouged out some hair with the clippers.

I'm not trying to make light of the ugly-duckling stage. It was not fun at all. I was certainly not at my best, but my worst. But it was temporary as Dr. Paul gave me a successful HT.