Different doctors... completely different graft estimates... why?

I went in person to several doctors here in NYC and then I emailed three other doctors nationally and abroad with detailed descriptions and photos. Each doctor gave me a different estimate of grafts. The estimates ranged from 1,000 grafts to 2,700. Most of the estimates were around the 1,600 mark.

So why all the different estimates? Have a look at my profile to see my pics and tell me what you think.

Basically, I have a naturally high hairline / big forehead. My hair has receded about 2 - 2.5cm in the past 4 years. No MPB in the family except my paternal grandfather. I want to restore my hairline to its original point. I feel like restoring it to the original is reasonable considering that I already have such a high hairline. Thus, it won't be like I'm trying to look so much younger, it'd probably look just like a mature hairline... whereas now it looks like a receding hairline.

Your opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

If you'll look through various before and after photos from different doctors, some treat more aggressively than others. One may like to do what he thinks is the minimum you'll need in one pass while another will dense pack the hairline. Not all doctors do the dense packing of grafts. Some use the minimum number of grafts to save for future loss. Every doctor has a different idea for each patient. Since it is your hairline your best best is going to someone known for good hairlines.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

In your other thread you said you were getting a HT next month. Does that mean you're actually booked with a surgeon? What was was their graft estimate?

I would say that the average estimate of 1600 grafts would be a minimum to achieve the hairline position you want with good density.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Yes, I will put down my deposit with Dr. True this week for an HT procedure in early November for 1,300 grafts. I'll also be speaking with him again this week. He's been great so far. Very professional and patient with me.

Although I've been considering HT for over a year now, when I went in for my initial consultation last month, I hadn't really done my due diligence of research regarding the details HT. So I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted or how to express to him what I wanted. Clearly, Dr. True estimated on the low side by quoting me at 1,000 grafts at least, but that he preferred to do 1,300.

Since then, I have spent the last month on this website on a daily basis. I now have a better idea about what I want, what to expect and what is realistic. So I'm going to bring this up to Dr. True this week and see what he thinks. Maybe he will decide on more grafts once I explain myself better.

I didn't really express to him that I have always had a high hairline / big forehead and that I simply wanted to restore my hairline to it's original point which already appeared as a mature hairline.

I'll keep you all posted after my next consultation with him this week.

To RCWest:

Thanks for your input. I know that Dr. True is a very well-respected coalition doctor. However, I don't know what his policy on dense packing is. I'll be sure to ask him this week when I see him again. So far, he has been just great. He's very sincere and professional. I really like the guy and I like how he conducts his business.

Mattj,

Thanks for your input. Yeah, 1,600 seems to be the average most docs are estimating. I just don't know what that translates to in graft psqcm. What do you think? Would that be dense packing? Of course, I'd like it to be as dense as possible.

I'm actually quite bad at looking at a space and guessing its area. It's easier for me to look at that space and imagine the number of grafts that will be needed based on seeing other transplant patients.

I am not supposed to actually give graft estimates, but I felt it would be alright to comment on those you have already been given. I hesitate to undermine what a doctor has told you, but I think 1000 grafts would be too few for the reasons Surfarosa gave in the other thread. (Although I don't believe you'd need the higher figures that he suggested.) 1600 would probably give you the density you'd need, but ultimately I would seek the opinion of a doctor who knows exactly what you want in regard to hairline position and density. You said that you plan to explain yourself better to your doctor, so that could result in a re-assessment from him. You should ask him what density you would be receiving.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Well it varies. From patient need to patient need, and from doc to doc. For example, a young black guy was here while I was reading this thread. He'd been to 3 other docs and had a list of questions. First off, I thought he needed maybe 1500 grafts to the front only. That way he'd save hair for the future and limit the width of his scar. PLUS, with that curly black hair, he needs way less hair to cover an inch of scalp than a thin haired asian or white guy. In those instances, I told the fellow, I'd be pushing 2200+ and dense packing. I find that not only do black guys and curly haired arab decent folks don't need as much density (due to the caliber of the hair shafts and the waviness of the hair) but when we try to pack it too tight, there is just too much popping when placing nearby grafts.

So there are many factors in determining what is best for each individual...and then different doctors have their own philosophies. In general though, for thin or straight haired men, I suggest lots of grafts packed tightly in that first 3/8 inch of singles, then followed by doubles and triples a bit more spread out. In that hairline area in particular, hair can be like sex or money....with more being preferential to less for most folks.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

corvette, looking at your pics it also appears that your temple points may be receding or may recede in the future. I would definitely be wary of this when transplanting a new hairline, and if it is the case perhaps ask your doc about it. best of luck with your procedure!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

again, they are only estimating. im no doctor, but it seems that it would be pretty tough to guesstimate the grafts needed.

im sure that doctors would want to make your hair more dense. nothing to be concerned about. Good luck!