Surgeons in and around Montreal

Finehair1

Hi. I'm a 28 year old Norwood II or III. I'm looking for a surgeon in or around Montreal. I could also go to Ottawa or Toronto, for example, but not much further. I'm looking for a FUT of around 2000 to 3000 grafts (different doctors have given me different estimates). However, I am on a budget. I cannot afford, for example Dr. Rahal. I realise that most advice here on this topic is "do not make money an issue". Unfortunately, I don't have the money and I won't have the money in the near future. I simply do not have $12000. I could spend $5000 at most. Can anyone recommend a surgeon to me? Can anyone warn me away from particular surgeons? Cheers!

Rahal is actually considered cheap! He starts at $4 a grafts and goes down from there. Most surgeons start at $4.50 to $5.00 a graft.

If you are a true NW2 or 3, then that $5,000 will get you enough grafts to do the job with Rahal. He does AMAZING work from what I've seen on here. Everyone raves about him.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dr. Rahal in Ottawa and Dr. Simmons in Toronto are Coalition members and Dr. Rosenberg in Toronto is a recommended physician. You can view their profiles and results and can send photos for an email consultation to see what they recommend.

I should disclose that I work with Dr. Simmons as a hair transplant technician. I hope this helps.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 years later...

I just had a hair transplant last Friday with Dr. Alain Sabourin in Montreal. He was highly recommended by a prominent plastic surgeon in Montreal. It's too early to comment on the results. However, I am quite impressed by Dr.Sabourin's skill as a hair transplant surgeon. He is quite conservative and did not overfill the areas with too many transplant, even though he could easily have done that to make more money.He is very kind and thoughtful and addresses all the patient's concerns.He is definitely the "go-to" hair transplant surgeon in Canada.

He only charges $3 per transplant unit, which is very reasonable. I would not hesitate to go back to him for any of the other services he offers. I also had my eyebrows transplanted.It was ~1500 for the eyebrows and $2100 for the scalp.

Harriet

I personally just had my procedure with Dr. Rahal, and have to mimic what RCWest said in that he is considered inexpensive at $4/graft and then down to $3 after 2500 grafts. Likewise, they help with travel reimbursement if you're not a local....and the entire experience and care of his clinic is top notch! It sounds like you are receiving some other really good recommendations for surgeons closer to you however, if you prefer to stay in Montreal?! I have seen several results from Dr. Simmons work, and he also produces a quality restoration. At any rate.....don't try to get the job done TOO cheap. $5,000 doesn't give you much to play with....and yet if you are a NW II or III you can probably get a lot of coverage for that amount. Option B is to wait a little longer til you save more up, and have it all done in one pass? At any rate, good luck on your transplant, and keep us all posted so we can follow your journey along the way! These forums will be a great resource for you....and you'll find a lot of support here! Welcome!!!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Maybe for FUE....but his FUT prices are very competitive/reasonable....and he'll give up to 50 grafts free!! He's a stand-up physician and his work seems to be second-to-none! (Hope I can confirm that after my grafts start growing, but alas, I'm only 2 weeks out!!!!)

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I'm a Montrealer and I've had 3 surgeries with Dr Chagnon from the Bedard Hair Clinic. the first two were not that bad, the third which I've had just over a month ago was not so good, see Bedard Hair Clinic charges a flat rate per session and they claim that they'll transplant whatever they can harvest, funny thing is they never harvest anything close to what you read on the forums here, which means much more surgeries and much more time to reach the result you want.

After my most recent disappointment, I finally woke up and smelled the roses, hopefully not too late for me to be able to have one more HT with a doc who'll transplant a significantly larger number of grafts than I've had in my 3 previous surgeries (1,200; 1,185; 765).

Please don't waste your money with Bedard Hair Clinic or with any physician in Montreal unless you're looking for a very small number of grafts. For the record, I've seen Dr Sabourin's work and he's no better than Dr Chagnon, the hair will grow, you likely won't get a bad scar, but... it you could get much better results for your hard earned money. I hope this helps.

Edited by MJ2012

Finehair1, I was just thinking of your post and have this to add, Bedard Hair Clinic charges $4,100 per session, they'll never transplant more than 1,200 grafts. I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if Dr Sabourin follows the same scheme. So honestly, your hard earned cash that you have budgeted for this procedure ($5,000) would be much better spent with a physician like Dr Rahal, where you are very likely to get significantly more than 1,200 grafts especially if you consider that they also offer a special discount for out of towners, not to mention the amazing results that Dr Rahal delivers every single time (just look at the posts on these forums). If it's my money, I know what I'd do. Best of luck.

what has been said by MJ2012 is right on. i know 2 people who had HT with sabourin. good results, but they both had to go back 4 times to get a total of close to 5000 grafts.

rahal can do 4500 grafts in one session.

thomas khon is another HT in montreal, downtown on sherbrooke street, i know 4 people in mtl to went to him and had decent results. but again, max is about 1,500/session.

i do not know anyone who went to bedard, but what has been said does not surprise me.

do your research and maybe wait a while to save up for fue.

Dr.Sabourin does transplant more than 1,200 grafts per session. A session could take up to 10 hours. He starts at ~6:30 am and works the entire day. That is why he only does surgery a few days a week. It's exhausting. I will reserve my judgement of the success of my FUT surgery when I can see the results in ? number of months. This forum should not demonize doctors without just cause. I have no loyalty to any one doctor. I just feel that one's career shouldn't be damaged without just cause.

Please check out ratemds.com . Obviously there a number of fake negative and positive comments. The comments on Dr. Kohn are highly illuminating.

Today I went for a hair wash at Dr.Sabourin and discussed the fact that I only received 703 garfts in my scalp. However I also got several hundred in each eyebrow. from the same donor site. I spoke to Dr.Sabourin's sister who is a doctor and also works at the clinic with Alain Sabourin. She said that when they remove the strip they can only use hairs that are not dormant and that are quite viable. In some people they would have to remove such a large strip from the back of the head that sewing the margins together would be quite impossible and extremely painful and dangerous. That is why people have to go for repeat procedures. Every case is different. I have diffuse thinning all over as I am a post-menopausal woman. THey can't try to make my transplanted ten[le areas so dense with hair and then have it thinner over the rest of my scalp. I'd look pretty weird. Also THe pain from a larger scalp would be brutal As it is I'm still in constant pain due to a lack of laxity.

wnorm, not sure if ur post was directed to me, but if it was, let me say that i was in no way sayin anything negative about dr sabourin. if u re-read my post, i said i knew 2 ppl who have been to dr sabourin and had good results. they just had to go mutiple times as dr sabourin does not do mega sessions. that is simply a fact. nothing bad,

Sorry, it wasn't directed at you. I just wanted to clarify why the patient may not receive the desired number of grafts transplanted in one session. I certainly would have liked to get 2x as many grafts last week even if it meant I would have had to pay 2X as much.

• 1 year later...
I didn't shop around for the best price.I just decided to go to Dr.Sabourin, as he was highly recommended. If he charged more, I still would have had the surgery with him.

Harriet

Hello, I am planing to do a small graft in my right eyebrow around 20 to 40 due to an accident. Can you plz tell me about the results you got with Dr.Sabourin, I am really afraid.

Thanks.