Shampoo washing advice please...

jdhillon

Hi,

I haven't had a HT or taken any medication for my hair loss just yet. However, I had a general query...

For past few years I have tended to shampoo my hair very carefully in the area I have most hairloss (top and frontal areas). Almost dabbing the shampoo in. The reason for this is whenever I try to massage the shampoo in as most of the recommended instructions on shampoos, I find that I end up with a load of hairs dropping out and stuck to my hands... just the sight of this really blows my morale and confidence as it feels like my hair is falling out in my fingertips...

I'm sure hair is also falling out when I lightly dab the shampoo on my hair but at least I am not seeing it so it kind of isn't so bad.

My question is, what do you recommend on how you should apply the shampoo?

I am thinking of going onto Nizoral and Proscar, do you think a good test to see if these are effective is to visually compare the results of how much hair ends up in my fingers after massaging the shampoo into the scalp before and after say 3-4 months of using the medication and shampoo?

Thanks in advance...

Regardless, you lose hairs daily. If your hair is weak, it will fall even during the wash. But the best way to wash hair is to gently massage it all over, it improves circulation, and for a minute or two with shampoo. So it cleanses the scalp well, and washes away oils that may cause sebum etc.,

Use a good cleanser shampoo, and Nizoral. But Nizoral shouldn't really be applied daily from what I have read, rather it's like a 2-3 times a week only thing.

Another shampoo that may be good, is Nioxin. I have used it along with Nizoral and found it to work well. In my personal opinion, it does make the hair stronger and thicker. But I have noticed that only with Nioxin system 1 cleanser. Proscar will probably keep existing hairs and possibly regrow some. Have you thought about finisteride?

good luck

Trying Finasteride and Nizoral shampoo a few times a week is a reasonable plan to start out with. You should give it at least 6-9 months before re-evaluating. You can alway make changes to your regimen or consider hair restoration surgery in the future if necessary. Prevention is the key. Gently messaging the scalp while shampooing is the correct way to wash. Just use common sense and don't pull to hard on fragile hairs that are in areas of the scalp that are already thinning.

Lots of good advice from Sean, Dr. Charles and Spex.

If you are trying meds you ought to commit to giving it a year to see any changes.

And for my money, its hard to beat Nutrogena T gel shampoo. Inexpensive, fixes most benign scalp itchiness, and I've used it for years.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Yes a year. Even if it works perfectly for you, how long does it take the newer thicker hair to grow out so that its clinically noticable? A year for most people.

Its a painstaking wait. Much like watching the golf channel is to a non-golfer like me.

I'd much rather watch NFL, or even WWE.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians