Dr. Beehner; Temple restoration in 43 y/o male

This 43 y/o male had approximately 500 FU grafts placed in each side temple area over three sessions, along with transplanting the front half of his scalp on top. He came by for a visit today and his recent photos are shown in the "after" views displayed here. There is a 7 year time span from the very beginning "before" shots up till now, when the "after" shots were taken.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

File0002.jpg.ec756cc9fca8ec9986caba9ec11c1744.jpg

File0003.jpg.36fe5707fd4b2c5e3c1dbaffdb80eb45.jpg

eeghj.jpg.b3f87cf52a150ffcbb583bf34c476e52.jpg

DSC_0985.jpg.20e5742183591c0bee467af4cdce2645.jpg

File0001.jpg.f1cd970c761b4a5807c141dd8279065d.jpg

ouytty.jpg.39336ee0b2fb5fc54015cb73ddbe4ed5.jpg

DSC_0988.jpg.c88dd6a5d3b7e0badc6ce7de94edf068.jpg

Edited by Mike Beehner, M.D.

Dr. Beehner,

A great example of the longevity of a well executed hair transplant procedure. Nicely done!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

That is some crazy hair in the before shots, but I can see where puting hair in the sides makes it complete.

Is the same hair that you put on top put also on the sides? It seems, looking at my self, that the hairs are more random in direction on the top, but on the sides, they all go down.

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealth you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Jawaharal Nehru

Mercury,

In reply to your question as to whether the same type of donor hairs (from the same place) were used in the side temples as on top, the answer is that they are all from the same place, mostly from the rear flat wall of the scalp in back and then just around the corner on each side around half way up.

His hair is obviously wavy and curly. How curly the transplanted hair will be later on,regardless of where it is placed, is largely a function of how long the patient lets it grow out. Temple hair is usually kept somewhat trimmed down and so doesn't exhibit as much "wild" curls as the top area might, where it is usually left a little longer to overlap and be directed either toward the back or from one side to the other.

Getting a natural result in the temple depends largely on keeping the angle of the recipient sites very acute with the lateral slit blades and directing them in the proper direction, usually down and slightly rearward.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Excellent work Doc! Do you recall how many grafts were used on top? Why did it take 3 sessions to do the temples? Or am I reading that wrong?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

We usually take only two sessions to complete the side temple areas, but he had a large almost totally bald frontal area, which we took three sessions in trying to add density. Whenever I am working on that area or the crown in back or whatever, I almost always try and put a couple of hundred FU's in and around the hairline border or the temple border to make them even better. His temples were essentially done in two sessions with around 430 FU's each side between the two sessions, and 35-40 were added to each side on the third surgery just to "spruce" them up a bit. His surgery was started in 2003 and our surgery session sizes have increased quite a bit since then, so there's a chance we could have pulled all of this off in two sessions if he walked in the door today.

I will attach here a before and after photo from the front-oblique angle, which shows the amount of filling in that was needed to complete the frontal region.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

File0001.jpg.4742af2524ccfc4e11c895804b3d161a.jpg

File0002.jpg.fcfe1dc899b15a15a0e2eed81a411239.jpg