Polysorbate 80?

Davis

What are your thoughts on Polysorbate 80?

is it effective in prevention?

Any sides?

Thanks

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.

• Administrators

Doing a quick searc h on Polysorbate 80, I found that it is really used as an emulsifier and does not appear to have any relationship with topical treatments.

"Polysorbate 80 is frequently used for pharmaceutical formulations as an emulsifier, solubilizer and stabilizer. Improving its characteristics (color, odor, oxidation stability, cytotoxicity and hemolysis) by ultra-pure Polysorbate 80(HX)TM is very suitable for pharmaceutical application."

More information can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysorbate_80

Hans

Webmaster

Right,

however I had found other links which a few people had claimed that when used topically it helped to stabilize their hairloss.

Other links found certain side effects which is why I am wondering if anyone here had tried it?

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.

I have never really used this, but I was considering it. I will be checking this forum to see if it would be worth wile to do so.

Unfortunately, I do not have any more information about this topic from my lack of experience. Does anyone else know anything about it?

Some info

Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw popularized the use of polysorbate 80 for alopecia in their best-selling book, Life Extension: A Practical Scientific Approach. In their book, Pearson and Shaw report that use of polysorbate 80 in studies has resulted in an average of 60 percent hair regrowth after just six months of daily use.

Although histamine is usually considered the culprit behind seasonal allergies, in actuality this substance is essential for cell growth and reproduction. In fact, since histamine is a growth factor, applying to the scalp a substance that triggers histamine release may also promote hair growth. In animals, administration of polysorbate 80 triggers the production of histamine in mast cells and plasma histamine concentrations rise after administration of polysorbate 80. In humans, the administration of polysorbate 80 causes effects in the body similar to the body’s response after histamine administration. One way polysorbate 80 may result in hair regrowth may be through its ability to trigger histamine release in the scalp, stimulating cell growth

Polysorbate 80 may also remove dihydrotestosterone (DHT) from the scalp. Excessive levels of DHT are thought to cause hair loss. In addition, polysorbate 80 may

affect genetic activities in the hair follicle cells due to its ability to reverse early tissue damage that occurs at the beginning of toxin-induced carcinogenesis.

Doing a quick searc h on Polysorbate 80, I found that it is really used as an emulsifier and does not appear to have any relationship with topical treatments.

"Polysorbate 80 is frequently used for pharmaceutical formulations as an emulsifier, solubilizer and stabilizer. Improving its characteristics (color, odor, oxidation stability, cytotoxicity and hemolysis) by ultra-pure Polysorbate 80(HX)TM is very suitable for pharmaceutical application."

More information can be found at Polysorbate 80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Um. Its actually being use in a lot of topical formulations for awhile now