1609 Procedure by Dr. Rose @ Shapiro Medical

Justin,

You're looking great my friend! You may remember I had mine done at SMG on Dec 15,2003 so I think you and I are right there together. One thing I found out is that even though I had 2460 FUs my actual "Hair Count" was 6041. That's a bunch, man!

Janna had to get on me from time to time for wiggling my foot when she was putting in the FUs. But I had an absolutely great experience with all of them, the ladies are an exeptional bunch. You and I are gonna be very happy campers pretty soon!

I had Janna working with me also! She's a really nice person and fun to give sh*t to. She had a really good sense of humor. She got after me a few times too for sitting up when she was working with her graft tool. I was so out of it that I kept forgetting they were working on my head. Most of the hairs have shed at this point, but the wait for growth isn't really bothering me at this point. I thought I'd be impatient, but I am rather relaxed about it. Hopefully we will be singing songs of praise in the upcoming months when the re-growth begins.

------------------------------Transplant performed 02/18/2004 by Dr. Paul Rose of Shapiro Medical Group.

• 2 weeks later...

Justin -

I think you will be singing songs of praises in the near future. It's kind of fun around the 6 month mark. Congrats on choosing one of the best clinics, and I'm glad your documenting your experience. Unfortunately not everyone does their research. After some time you'll probably not spend as much time on this forum, but hopefully you'll remember to keep everyone updated periodically, especially around the fun mark of 7 or 8 months.

I'm considering going back for a second to SMG, just not sure yet. It's not a need at this point, but a little greedy.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been 2 months and 2 days since my procedure with Dr. Rose @ SMG and I have definitely shed every hair that was transplanted. I have to say that shockloss was not an issue. Now I am just sitting here waiting it out until the 4 1/2 month mark where I am expecting the growth to really begin. I have to say that the wait is starting to get irritating, but not too bad. I just hate having to wait so long for something I have looked forward to since the dreaded loss began. If it weren't for Dermatch, I'd be really impatient. I know that the results will be great, but the wait is just terrible icon_smile.gif. Well anyways, I haven't been here on the forum for a while because not much has happened since the shed. I'll keep this thread update in another month.

BELGIUMDUDE:

I'm thinking of Rose. Keep us posted!

Avodart: I switched in March 2003 from Propecia. No change, but then I went through a major shed after 10 months, and I seem worse off. Strange. I suspect the .5mg just isn't enough, and that higer doses pose too many riosks. What did Shapiro say about the feedback he's getting??

When I had my procedure, Dr. Shapiro was actually interested in my experience with Avodart because he didn't have many patients that had taken it. He said that he was going to be sending a letter to his patients saying that the results had mainly been negative in the cases he's seen and that he didn't advise Avodart for hairloss. It's not that .5 mg isn't enough. It's actually too much in my opinion, which causes the shock shed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been here in a while. For some reason I can't access it while I'm at work. I'll try to get some updated pictures ASAP. The hairs are slowly appearing in the transplanted area. It's kind of funny because you can definitely see the hairline forming. When I use Dermatch, it looks as if I need no work at all. I'll try to get some pics within the next week or so. I was thinking on June 18th, since that will be the exact 4 month mark. The donor area is impossible to detect even when shaved down to a #2. My hair stylist said she couldn't find it the other day when I had my hair cut. Things are really looking up a this point. With the Dermatch, I would be happy if this was the final outcome, but things are only slightly beginning!

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been Nearly 5 months and the area is really filling in now. I totally apologize for not getting any pics up to date, but I am having difficulty getting my camera to work and really don't want a friend to take pictures of my head if you know what I mean. I'll try to get you all something ASAP!

At first I thought it was really conservative and wanted something a littel more aggressive. After seeing the growth, I know that anymore aggressive would have been a waste of donor hair. I wear my hair forward, so it really covers well and I'm only at 4 1/2 months! I'll get pics up ASAP!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a few of the question that i had (for the whole board to see):1. how many fu/cm2? 2. do you feel that the density is enough? 3. why don't you want to grow your hair long? 4. when it's longer it it obvious that it's different hair from your forelock? 5. how did you choose smg? 6. how did you choose dr. rose? did you have an in-person consultation before the actual ht day? 7. were you comfortable that rose and the smg clinic performed surgeries on pattern 3 mpb? 8. why didn't you gowith dr. shapiro? 9. are prices fo dr. shapiro different from dr. rose? 10. what did he graft wind up costing? 11. how many days did it take before the scabs fell off and you looked relatively normal again?

sorry for the deluge of questions, but i'm seriously considering a procedure and frankly i'm scared. so i'm just trying to do as much homework as possible.

thank so much

Howard, I can answer a couple of your ?'s. Dr. ROse is approx 50 cent per fu less than Shapiro ($4.50 vs $4.00)-- that was a few months ago. Dr. Rose does good work and was personally trained by Dr. Shapiro, they use the same staff. Personally, I feel like 20-25 fu per cm gives a decent coverage. A person might want to go 30-45 fu in hairline and lessen to 20-25 as you go back to the crown. YOu look at a person with lets say 35 fu per sq and one with 50 fu per sq-- you can not tell the difference-- if both had lateral slits done.