Please explain

With all this talk about hair density at 40-60 etc to get illusion of density, if you have thinning in the frontal third or temple points etc and have plenty of donor hair why can't you have coverage that equals 80-100 so it is as real as it used to be? I never understood that cos if you have the supply to fill in a Norwood 2 or 2a then why can't it be done? I don't mean thick teenage hair on a 60 year old head but close to it if you have the supply and it fits your age and face. Thanks.

That's exactly what I'm wondering, too. I need to have only my very frontal zone restored and already asked in another thread if the surgeon will give me a guarantee that a certain number of grafts per sqcm will be implanted. I think that 70-80 grafts would be ideal, because it can't be "too much" if you still have dense hair on the rest of your head, even more on the sides and in the so-called safety-zone. More than anything else, it would ensure that you won't have too little density to style your hair in any way you wish (I want to style it UPWARDS!!!), without that typical see-through appearance. I certainly DON'T want to have those gaps in the hairline where you can see the scalp!

Edited by CopaSurfer

Hairloom and CopaSurfer,

In my opinion, there are several issues with transplanting follicles at a density of 70-100 follicles/cm^2 (close to natural, unaffected density):

1. I'm uncertain that the blood supply to the balding areas is sufficient to accept and properly nurture grafts at that density. Because of this, the graft survival rate and scalp trauma could both be greatly affected.

2. Transplanting at this density could affect surrounding native hairs.

3. Transplanting at this density would require a large strip or various extractions for a small area, which is going to create unnecessary scarring.

4. Transplanting at this density does not take progressive loss into consideration. It seems like a great idea to densely pack/lower a hairline at 23, but the results can be very unsatisfactory when/if future loss occurs. It also depletes precious donor units.

5. Hair transplantation is truly about creating the "illusion of density," not recreating a completely juvenile hairline. Fortunately, talented hair restoration physicians are able to carefully plan cases and create significant, impressive results without needing to implant at dangerous densities.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks guys! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask (in this thread or by private message)!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.