Did I lose a lot of grafts?

Fist off, thank you for this forum! I'm 13 days post-op and have been fighting the post-op blues. This place has definitely made me feel better. Now to my question: b/w day 6-8 my scabs fell off, but it seemed like 80% of the scabs had hair in them. When examined closely the hairs would usually have a bent "U" at the end which made me think they were follicle roots. There was never any bleeding, but I'm still very anxious because one side looks great, but the other looks vary sparse and not very uniform hair angles out of the scalp. Different technicians worked on either side. I'm worried that one did a great job, and the other wasn't very good. Should I be worried? If so how correctable is a job you're not happy with? And finally, what are the chances that the side that looks sparse actually has a lot more grafts in it than it looks like now, i.e. day 13?

Firstly, congratulations on your procedure. I hope you've been able to take it easy during your recovery. ;)

If you lost a graft, you would actually see the hair surrounded by a little "plug" of tissue, and the graft site would typically bleed as well. Having "bent" hair roots attached to part of a scab is normal; this is not a graft.

Having different technicians working on different sides of your head can produce different results I am sure, but this has not been my experience. Hopefully you went to a reputable surgeon who produces consistent results. Certainly if it was a doctor recommended on this site, we could allay your fears. ;)

Hang in there!

Edited by Goldilocks

I have had a similar situation to you. One side I have lost more of the transplanted hairs than the other side, and it seemed like a lot of the crusts that came out had hairs in them. Are you sure you were seeing tissue surrounding the hair, or was it the crust or scab. My head "peeled" a lot from crusts and it didn't always look like scabs but it was just the dead skin from the top of my head. The hairs were definitely through them. I also had a dislodged graft the first day after surgery that was re-placed and I had a HUGE blood blister from it dislodging. I think the hairs will shed and come out at different rates, in the same way they'll grow back at different rates. I honestly think you (and I) will be fine.

The hair coming out with the scabs is a normal part of the transplant process. It happens to all of us. They will start growing back in in a few months. They are just going through shock as they reestablish blood flow.

Who was your doctor?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

No Bleeding normally means no loss of grafts, someone on here took a big chunk of skin out of the top of thier head at about 12 days post op which left a scab and they said they didnt lose grafts.

That sounds crazy! Glad to hear the grafts were okay.