Dr Rahal or Dr Simmons?

Mike12

Hi guys/girls,

New to the forum. I've recently decided to get a hair transplant and came across this website while doing research. I have to say that it is extremely informative and was the most helpful tool, especially in deciding which doctors are most reliable.

Being from Toronto, I've decided that my best bet for a transplant would be Dr Rahal or Dr Simmons. Looking at past threads, both doctors have achieved excellent results with a few minor critiques here and there.

I'm only 22 at a Norwood 5 and I think that plays a big part in my decision. I've read that Dr Rahal is a bit aggressive with the hairlines of younger patients (in a thread on this forum). But many suggest he's amongst the best in the world. On the flip side of that, there have not been many Dr Simmons threads on this board and I was wondering if any of you could give me any more insight on him. Any experiences with him would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your replies,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was particularly interested in your question as I have had hair transplants done by each of the doctors you are asking about. My first procedure was with Dr. Rahal in 2007 and my second one was this past April with Dr. Simmons.

I have to say that I don't think you can go wrong with either physician as they are both tremendously good at what they do. Both are dedicated to their profession, both have excellent and consistent results

Given your Norwood rating, I suspect that neither doctor could be overly 'aggressive' with your hairline design.

Have you consulted with either doctor? I think it would be worthwhile for you to do so, and in-person if at all possible, but online at the very least. Getting an idea of what each doctor comes up with for a plan for you would be invaluable and you would be in a better position to make your own decision about who you wish to select.

I realize I haven't told you anything about who to select, since only you can make that decision for yourself, but I can say that I have had a positive experience with both of them. ;)

Edited by Goldilocks
spelling

Mike12,

Dr. Rahal shouldn’t be labeled as more aggressive, but he will review your situation in person if possible, and make the appropriate recommendation based on many factors including your age, current and future hair loss, hair quality etc. Dr. Simmons is a great doc as well and meeting both in person and then deciding would be the best route to take.

Edited by Adrian

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

If I might be so bold as to add to what Adrian has said, Dr Rahal would never try and talk you into going through with anything that you were uncomfortable with, and would never place your hairline any lower than you want it to be.

Edited by mattj

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I was faced with the same question being from Toronto. On one hand, Dr. Rahal had a lot more patient result photos available which ultimately gives you the most confidence going into a HT. But, Dr. Simmons was 15 minutes from where I lived and being able to revisit your doctor on a periodic basis can prove very valuable. I'm not 100% sure, but I also think there's a significant price difference between the two.

Truthfully, if I lived in Ottawa, I would have likely have chosen Rahal mainly because I couldn't find one patient testimony on Dr. Simmons and there were tons on Dr. Rahal. But, I felt comfortable after meeting Dr. Simmons and so I took a little bit of a risk and chose the more convenient option (15 minutes vs 4 hrs). After 5 months post HT, I'm very, very happy with Dr. Simmons and would highly recommend him to everyone from Toronto.

Hi Mike12,

As a 22 year-old, you should be careful about hair transplantation because you have many years to lose more hair. I know that Dr. Simmons is cautious and conservative about hair transplantation in young men. You could have a consultation or virtual consultation to discuss all of your options.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Mike, Im Rahals biggest fan but after spending a few years on these forums and checking out many results, testemonial etc etc... I would agree with the other guys posts and say that you cant really go wrong with either Dr. Go meet them and get a feel for them, select the Dr which feels right for you.

Megatron, your hair looks great at only 5 months. Very impressive!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Still deciding on who, but will probably meet both in person or email them to get a better idea.

If I do decide to get a transplant, I will definitely be more active and share my story with all of you. Cheers,

Mike

• 8 months later...
Guest Ian512017155

Personally not yet but I am scheduled; however, I seen his results online and more importantly in person, including a friend of mine who was a class 3V and even my uncle who was a class 5A who received great results at 12 months.

Thanks guys,

When did you get yours done Michael?

How long does one has to be away from work for your head and face to normalize?

Do you wear a cap or how do you manage day to day activity after the procedure?

Any regrets..:)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have investigated Dr. Rahal and there are many positive reviews about him. I do not know much about Dr. Simmons. But a word of warning. This is not the time to cheap out. Do not let distance or price affect your decision. This procedure will affect how you look for a lifetime. Chose who you feel will do the best job for you. That should be the biggest factor in your decision.