What are the negative effects of Scar Revision?

Hey Everyone,

As you may know (for those following my web blog) I will need to go in for a 2nd procedure with Dr. Cooley to get a Scar Revision.

What are the risk involved with this procedure?

A few questions come in mind that I'd like your help with

1. When you do a scar revision, will hairs be transected?

2. How invasive is the procedure, Is less than a true strip removal during a HT?

3. How long will it take to heal?

4. How long will the sutures need to be in place? 10 days? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

5. Will internal sutures be used for a Scar Revision?

6. Scar Revision is essentially a 2nd HT, does anyone here recommend just waiting to get a real 2nd HT instead?

7. What drugs will be used?

I've gone already 6 months and everything is perfect except for this scar that didn't heal correctly. I really don't feel like dealing with this right now...

haha, if I sound annoyed, I apologize, I hate it when things don't go as planned. Now I'm going to have to go another 2-3 months of non-physical activity post procedure.

A scar revision is basically another strip surgery,except they arent trying to get grafts this time, just scar tissue. So everything that happened the first time will basically be the same this time. Make sure they re-implant all the grafts that come out with the scar!!!

Is there anyway you can combine the scar revision with a second surgery? Since you have to endure the discomfort of a strip removal, you might as well get the benefits of additional grafts, right?

TC 17.

You sure can, BUT, beware of asking for too much. Before the site changed "formats" I posted a thread on "the double edged sword" of trying to fix a scar and get more hair at the same time. I caution against that but find that 80% of guys, even after a pretty blunt discussion about the risks of not getting as good of a scar result, still choose to do both.

In fact just today I heard from a guy we did from Europe last year. Same discussion.... We got him from about a one inch scar to about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch scar (per the last pic that he sent me) but I think we could have done better....except that he wanted 1500 grafts at the same time.

So in my opinion he traded a very thin to 1/8 inch scar for a 1/4 to 3/8 inch scar in his quest for another 1500.

Now he wants to see if we can improve the scar again.

Remember, in medicine: perfection is the enemy of good. I'll likely advise him that if a 1/4 inch scar is hidden by his hair, and at one time he had a 1 inch scar from a different doctor, he ought to sit tight.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I had a scar revision for my second hair transplant surgery and I have to say that my discomfort post-op was greater with the revision compared to my first procedure. My doctor who did the revision suspected that this was likely the case since he had to dig somewhat deeper to excise the previous scar tissue. It might be a little early to tell, but this second scar seems to be narrower than my first, which was up to 3mm wide in spots. This one seems quite consistent across the entire length, and while I haven't measured it, it certainly isn't 3mm; it's looking like between 1 and 2mm which I can definitely live with. ;)

If you can live with your current scar, then I would be inclined to wait before having another surgery until you are wanting to go for a second transplant (if you even choose to do so). If that doesn't happen to be for another several years, then so be it, but you just never know how the scar will heal. You could potentially be worse off than where you started... Why put yourself through the discomfort again so soon...

Have you consulted with a hair transplant physician to find out what you could reasonably expect if you were to go ahead with a scar revision? If not, that might be a good starting point.

Anyway, ultimately the decision is up to you. I wish you all the best in figuring that out. ;)