New Hair Growth Gene (Lhx2) Identified

A research team working at the University of Sweden identified a new gene that may prove important in the fight against hair loss. Scientists found that the gene, Lhx2, is crucial in regulating hair growth during a hair follicle’s expansion, or Anagen, phase.

As many members of the community probably know, hair follicles undergo three natural phases, or cycles – the Anagen, or growth phase (where follicles are active and hair growth occurs), the Catagen, or transition stage (where the growth cycle stops), and the Telogen, or resting phase (where follicles are no longer active and the static hairs shed). After the resting stage is complete (usually a period of 3 months) a new growth phase begins and the follicular cycle continues.

Researchers have discovered that Lhx2 is present during the Anagen (growth) phase, follicles cannot produce new hair in the absence of Lhx2, and the gene can actually activate the growth cycle. These findings make Lhx2 and its effect on follicular cycles and genetic hair growth an important tool in future balding research.

Definitely exciting news!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

Great information! Thanks for finding and posting that. Let's hope this leads to an exponential growth in the advancement of hair loss treatments.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

This is some of the best news I have heard in a long time!

Now scientists can focus on manipulating this gene specifically to turn on, and all will be whole again in the universe!

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.

I dont suppose HT surgeons are in favour of any advances that will make them redundant though. I think there is more money to made from treating baldness rather than curing it, I wouldnt be suprised if they are a lot further ahead in terms of curing baldness than we know.

Sparky,

I understand what you're saying. Everyone has a vested interest in maintaining their source of income. While I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist per se, I sometimes wonder why it's been so long since a major disease has been cured and why we can't seem to get off the oil standard.

That said, I don't believe that hair transplant physicians wield the kind of power and financial resources that it would take to suppress a cure for baldness. If and when it happens, it will be worth billions.

Also, depending on the nature of the cure, we may find that we still need hair transplant doctors to refine hairlines, etc.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I dont suppose HT surgeons are in favour of any advances that will make them redundant though. I think there is more money to made from treating baldness rather than curing it, I wouldnt be suprised if they are a lot further ahead in terms of curing baldness than we know.

No offense however this is a pretty false statement.

Here is why..

HT surgeons make up only a small % of those "treated" for MPB through out the world.

Even products like rogaine, propecia.. are peanuts in the scheme of things in terms of their reach..

Plus, this potential procedure is something everyone will have to go through, even future generations, so money will be made forever.

Don't kid yourself, something like this will be a trillion dollar product

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.