My Hair Nightmare

you need to give the Finasteride (fincar/propecia) 1 full year at least, and you need to take the full 1 mg dose everyday.

if by then you haven't seen the loss at least slow down then just shave it down and forget about HTs alltogether.

the finasteride is really your only hope IMO.

Thanks for the reply, disheartening but probably a reality. What really confuses me is that there no nw6-7 in my family at all. My great grandfater just died at 90 with a nw 1.5, my father is a nw 1 still at 46. My mothers father shaves his head and is maybe a nw 3 at 67. How in the hell did I end up with this!!

I'm considering taking lontien if my real propeica doesn't kick in. I just started month three of it. I took cipla 1.25mg for ten months already. Do think there is a possibility that it was fake? Also does minoxidil lose it's efficacy if pre mixed with folligen?

So a hairtransplant is beating a dead horse you think? On Dr Madhu website I've seen guys balder thank me get decent results, at least that is what the pictures suggest. I've aslo seen other transformation on this site. Why am I a lost cause epileptic?

Thanks

I couldn't disagree more. I do believe you need to give Propecia a full year and assess things when you reach your 1 year mark; however, I wouldn't necessarily say you should write off a HT altogether. You have diffuse thinning hair which makes it hard to transplant into that area because the Doc will have to plant in between existing hair, thus increasing the chances for shock loss. I'm not saying you should get it done right now, but I wouldn't completely write off having surgery down the road. Best of luck to you

Thanks for the support fingers crossed. That's my plan now I will continue with my genuine propecia for ten more months, by that time I'll be almost 29 years old and can make a better decision about a transplant.

Does anyone know about the mixing of folligen and minoxidil? I put them together in a spray bottle for easy application but I'm not sure if the minoixidl degrades once mixed together.

If anyone else wants to chime in that was in a similar hair pattern situation as me, please do.

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't mean to come accross so harsh. I do believe you have hope, but you are so young with a diffuse pattern that looks very aggressive. Therefore, halting the loss is imperative IMHO -- before proceeding with any kind of HT.

I see so many young guys under 30 coming here looking for the "final solution" or "cure" to their hairloss issues, and they want to seek a HT before they even try any other options. I wish it was that easy too, just get a HT and no more hairloss worries and no need to take meds. But it just aint that simple, and many have to learn the hard way unfortunately.

Edited by EpilepticSceptic

I know you don't want to wait 5-10 years down the road to get a HT done, but just imagine what the technology will be like in 2020. Ten years ago, the hair transplant industry was pretty much a joke (with a few exceptions) but by no means was it anywhere near what it is today. I would continue taking the Propecia / Proscar and maybe begin using concealers for a while (Toppik would be my preferred choice). Dr. Hasson advised me against using Dermmatch; he believes it accelerates the hair loss process, and I agree with him.

jimmybald,

I think you've gotten some good advice here. Taking your age and degree of balding into consideration, you really should give Propecia a chance to work for you. If the medication fails to stabilize your hair loss you may want to think twice about hair transplantation for the time being.

You're right, there are lots of very impressive transformations on this site posted by both physicians and patients but the best ones on a NW 6 or 7 typically involve a "perfect storm" of age, hair quality and physician to pull it off.

You may eventually become one of these success stories but I'd recommend waiting to see how your hair reacts to non-surgical treatment before proceeding.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the advice, I will duly follow. So let just say, hypothetically, my hair stays like this after 12 months on genuine propecia, would it be viable to proceed with a hair transplant? Do you think I would experience significant shock loss?

I have good news about the new propecia I'm taking. My hair has slowed down in shedding and I see a few hairs sprouting around the hairline that weren't there before. I'm not getting my hopes up yet but it's a good sign since my hair on generic fincar continued to shed at the same rate.

I know the generic fincar vs. real propecia has been discussed to death, but do you think that by chance it could of been fake or miss dosed? I'm hoping it was fake actually.

Hi, if you worry that your cipla fincar is fake then where did you buy it from? maybe that pharmacy is not legit and sells fake pills!

and if you worry about mixing the minoxidil with folligen then my advice is simply to avoid that, better be on the safe than on the unknown.

Where is Dr. Madhu located? in India?

Judging by your pictures I don't think you will regain your hair fully back with the current regimen if it didn't happen during the last 10 months. I don't know if your fincar was fake or not, but theortically you have been using it for almost one year so it doesn't seem promising. there are other treatments you can always try like a stronger minoxidil solution etc.

• 5 months later...

Quick update, I'm pulling the trigger on a transplant next month. I've been on propecia for 8 months will be 9 at time of surgery. I have stopped losing hair in the shower for the past 3 months. I think it might have stabilized. I'm committed to continue use of propeica. When I took the above picture that was my worse and I believe it is because of the propecia shed. My hair is thicker and the crown is looking much better. I think I am only going to deal with the front 1/3 during my transplant and let the meds continue with the crown. I might address the crown sown the road but i think it's too risky now with possible shockloss.

I've decided with Dr. Pong in Chiang Mai. I have been in contact with him for about a month. His website is legit and he has over 150 results on it. He uses all the latest techniques and has done over 1200 surgeries. Plus his staff has been there since he started 9 1/2 years ago. The price is right plus I can relax in Chiang Mai for two weeks after surgey.

I am slightly nervous getting a surgery in a foreign country but I have researched and feel that he will do a successful job. I will detail everything. Wish me luck

Hi mate

Good to hear. Let me know if you want some info regarding Chiang Mai e.g hotels recommendations nearby, taxi fares etc. The first time I caught a cab from the hotel to the clinic (5-10 minute walk), they ripped me off as I didn't know it was so close. The fare was more expensive than the fare from the airport to the hotel. The next few days, I walked and found a few shortcuts which gets you there in 5 mins if you're a quick walker.

Quick update, I'm pulling the trigger on a transplant next month. I've been on propecia for 8 months will be 9 at time of surgery. I have stopped losing hair in the shower for the past 3 months. I think it might have stabilized. I'm committed to continue use of propeica. When I took the above picture that was my worse and I believe it is because of the propecia shed. My hair is thicker and the crown is looking much better. I think I am only going to deal with the front 1/3 during my transplant and let the meds continue with the crown. I might address the crown sown the road but i think it's too risky now with possible shockloss.

I've decided with Dr. Pong in Chiang Mai. I have been in contact with him for about a month. His website is legit and he has over 150 results on it. He uses all the latest techniques and has done over 1200 surgeries. Plus his staff has been there since he started 9 1/2 years ago. The price is right plus I can relax in Chiang Mai for two weeks after surgey.

I am slightly nervous getting a surgery in a foreign country but I have researched and feel that he will do a successful job. I will detail everything. Wish me luck

Good luck! You have clearly done all the proper research here and you should have an outstanding result. Keep us updated on your progress.