facial surgey 3wks after HT

im concerned that having corrective facial surgery to my nose and jaw 3 weeks after my HT with hasson and wong will be detrimental to the success and yieled of the grafts etc.

i broke my nose and jaw in a rta and now require surgery to correct it. last time i had surgery my whole face swelled up like a pumpkin and went purple. i very worried that the swelling and trauma to the face will result in grafts being damaged or killed???

the surgery is booked in for 3 weeks after the hasson an wong HT. will this be a problem? or should i leave it longer???

• 4 weeks later...

just a little bump as didnt really get a answer?

its now 1 week after my hair transplant with dr hasson. im due to have surgery to face in around 3 weeks and i just wanted to know from you guys your views?

mainly on whether or not it will effect the growth of the grafts in any way and how to avoid such an issue???

im worried about swelling and bleeding and stress and pain all combined and whether it will have a bearing on the grafts at 4 weeks post HT op?

if not then great butif so how do i avoid it etc etc

any help appreciated

j1

J1,

I've tried researching your question for quite some time this morning, and I'm having trouble formulating a solid answer. On one hand, I completely understand your concern and could see how the additional trauma could affect the outcome of the hair transplant procedure. On the other hand, by day 10 the grafts should be anchored, so I'm uncertain if that much significant damage would be done by undergoing another operation (though I supposed blood flow to the new grafts could be affected).

I know he was (most likely) not your hair transplant surgeon, but you may want to send Dr. William Lindsey a message on the forums. He's formally trained in facial plastic surgery and is very helpful with these type of questions. I hope this helps! Please keep us updated when you get an answer. Good luck.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

j1j9j85,

I hope you find your answer. If you already have, please share.

I have a similar question myself: How soon after HT surgery can a person have a facial rejuvenation procedure performed using a fractional CO2 resurfacing laser that will treat the entire facial area, including, but not limited to, up to and/or near the hairline region?

Would this laser procedure damage the grafts if it was performed 1 week, 2 weeks, or 1 month post HT surgery?

i contacted H&W and they seemed to think i should be fine if all trauma ie cutting etc was well away form my hair..................

im having surgery roughly 5 to 6 weeks after the HT so im still bit worried? i hope it wont hurt the grafts growing etc?

i think il prob jus email h&w again to be absoultely sure

lol

Though the real estate is close, anatomically you are dealing with two different areas. By that time your grafts should be well secured. The only way that surgery on your nose and jaw could affect the scalp is by spillover post-operative edema. So the important thing is to minimize any spread of swelling to your scalp. This means being extra-aggressive with the post-operative instructions given to you by your surgeon to limit swelling. After my HT, my surgeon gave me a tennis sweat band to prevent edema from coming down from the scalp to the peri-orbital region. I'm sure a sweat band could also be used to prevent the opposite, facial edema from spreading up to the scalp. When I do blepharoplasties (eyelid surgery), I keep my patients on cool compresses very frequently for 48 hours as the cool compresses cause vasoconstriction of your superficial blood vessels which decreases swelling. After 48 hours, most of the swelling you're going to have has been determined and cool compresses lose their efficacy. At this point, I have my patients switch to warm compresses to get rid of the swelling that is already there. Now, doing oculoplastic surgery is probably different than other forms of facial reconstructive surgery, so double check with your surgeon about how they want you to manage things. But even if you had some swelling in your scalp, I don't know how much it would harm your grafts. In theory, physical and emotional stress can accelerate shock loss, but I far from an expert on that. I wish you luck on your future surgery and with the growth of your grafts. In my opinion, you are already in a good position, as the best thing you did for your grafts was entrust them to one of the best surgeons in the world