Helpp !! stuck on what to do 1000 grafts or 2000 grafts ??? t

Hy everyone ,

I’ve been on this site for quite a while now, it’s been my source of information for every niggling question i’ve have surrounding hair transplant surgery, which has helped me out so much :) . After months of research and checking out the cr?me de cr?me of hair surgeons, I’ve made the decision that getting a hair transplant is something that I 100% want to go through ,and make a reality and stop dreaming about. But I have a couple of questions that I hope you could help me with.

My story

My reasons for wanting to get a hair transplant was due to a hair salon visit gone wrong when I was 16. I don’t want to go into details because it just makes me feel angry, and leaves me with feeling of helplessness every time I think about it. A couple of weeks after attending the hair salon my hair began to fall out like crazy and my hair line receded as well. Everyone knows hair is a woman’s crown and glory, so you can imagine at 16 how one would react to their hair falling out. I was mostly really affected by my hairline receding, that really got me and hurt me quite allot emotionally. I tried lotions and potions and pills to get it to re-grow over the past 4 years wishing that it would grow back to how it was but nothing worked :(. over these past 4 years I’ve seen my life go downhill my confidence ,my self esteem , my social life .I basically became an outcast a huge contrast to the person I used to be, the most confident ,outgoing ,bubbly person you would have met . My years in secondary school and sixth form consisted of me hiding under hats and headbands (still do to this day), the bubbly outgoing person I used to be was in hiding, I was embarrassed about my hairline and that I had a massive forehead because of it too, I couldn’t stand people looking at me, and hated it when people would comment on my hairloss (girls can be really mean). it affected me so much to the point I hated my life, it was at this point I promised I would do what I could to get back to how I was, and get my hairline back, I wasn’t going to let my hair loss take over my life, and that I did. I found out about hair transplant and knew that this would be my only way of achieving my goal, i got a job at 17 and have been saving ever since for the transplant.

I’ve had online consultations with the top doctors such as Rahal, Shapiro, Hasson and Wong, Feirduni and many more who estimate that I would need 1500-2000 grafts which are around $10,000 . I’m in the UK so I have to take into account all the extra things I needs to pay to get the surgery done abroad. I’ve saved up half of the amount needed for the surgery but it’s not enough to cover the costs. I really want to go through with it ,so I was wondering if you all think it would be possible to go for just 1000 or 1500 grafts instead so it would be more affordable but my issue is would i still get a good result with density and fullness ?

MY Question J

I’m worried that i will not get the results that i desire for a full hair line if i do this , can you let me know what you guys think , 1000 grafts is still alot of money for normal person like me but i’d rather get good results than just fork out for a hair transplant because im desperate for one, but the thing is i really want to get it done, i cant go on like this and i canat wait another year.

i would really appreciate you advice and what you think ?

thank you

samii :)

Hi Ava

I completely understand your situation as will most of the people on this form...Do what every you may but dont take half measures with your HT....if you do a 1000 graft transplant you risk having a less dense hairline since you are planning to lower your hairline..i would ask these doctors exactly how many grafts you need to achieve a dense hairline and go for it...wait if you have to till you feel comfortable with your finances...maybe you could put some of it on your credit card, get a second job or something..but please dont take half measures...you might end up worse than where you were before

Do you have photos of your hairloss that you can post ? This would help with advice on potentially how many grafts you may need.

I think if you primarily just have hairline loss that you could likely get it all resolved for good in one pass with a great doc/clinic. Being a female, if the loss is not from hormones and is exclusively related to the salon that messed you up, then IMO you are very lucky compared to most of the men here who will always have to worry about future hairloss post-HT. :rolleyes:

Sami (Ava),

I know you joined back in November of last year, but since is this my first time responding to you, welcome to our community :-). Thanks also for adding a profile picture.

Several members have given you some good advice already. However, allow me to add some of my input.

Being a woman with only a smaller area to cover, I imagine that you'd want to restore your hairline in one procedure right? If that's the case, I think you should make sure that when you're finally ready to undergo surgical hair restoration, that you have the money to get the amount of grafts you require rather than a smaller procedure now which may leave you wanting more density later.

All of the surgeons you mentioned are first-rate and assuming you're a good candidate (which it sounds like you are), should be able to harvest enough grafts to cover and densely pack the area of concern, creating and restoring a natural and dense looking hairline.

I do hope that if you proceed with hair transplantation that you chart your progress with us and share monthly pictures so we can provide you with support and encouragement.

If there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to reply here or contact me via private messaging.

Best wishes in restoring your hairline,

Bill Seemiller

Ava,

Thank you for sharing your story. It was truly touching, and I both applaud your decision to proactively make a change and wish you the best of luck with your hair transplant journey. The good news is that you've come to the right place, and consulted with some fantastic hair restoration physicians. As you probably know, Drs. Hasson, Wong, Rahal, Shapiro, and Feirduni are all well-respected and recommended by our community. With regard to the number of grafts, I have a few items for you to consider:

First, I've heard differing opinions concerning grafting a smaller number of follicular units now and undergoing a second procedure versus implanting a maximum amount of grafts in one-sitting. I think it's reactionary to simply assume it's better to undergo a large surgery in one instance, but here is a post from recommended physician Dr. William Lindsey that offers a different opinion.

Second, it may be somewhat helpful to try our graft calculator and see how many grafts may fulfill your current expectations. The model clearly isn't a female patient, but it may be useful nonetheless.

Third, it may be helpful to review some of the work performed by Dr. Sheldon Kabaker. He specializes in female hair transplantation and reviewing some of his cases or reading his website may paint a clearer picture of appropriate graft numbers.

Fourth, feel free to utilize the forum's search function to research female hair transplant cases.

Good luck, and I hope this helps. Please keep us updated on your progress.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.