Hey all. I'm new here, and have a few questions.

I'm a 41 year old male, and I've always had a good head of hair, and never thought I would 'suffer' from hair loss until I noticed during the summer last year (2009), that I could see my scalp in between the hair on the top of my head, where I hadn't previously. My very experienced hairdresser, that I've used for around 6 years, said she hasn't noticed a thinning in my hair, but it's not the hair thickness, it's the gaps between the hairs that is increasing.

Ever since then I've been trying everything, except Minoxidil to slow the loss down, but even thought the Nioxin treatment I use seems to thicken the hair effectively, it hasn't stopped the shedding, and I'm now at a stage where it's starting to become noticeable, or have the impression it is, anyway.

I'm young looking for 41, and would like to carry on looking as young for as long as possible, and my hair is very important to me. I'm not grey anywhere yet, so can get away with being 10 years younger most of the time, which will deteriorate rapidly once people notice the loss.

I'm willing to give most things a go, but haven't tried using Minoxidil with Nioxin, as I wasn't sure of their compatibility, but I've now seen Rogaine foam, so may go for that as a treatment as the next 'experiment'.

I've also read on here about the Nizoral, Minoxidil and Nioxin combination, and have found that of interest, as cost is also a major factor too. If there is anything else worth trying, then I would like to know too!

Any help would be appreciated.

AndrewOW,

I would definitely look into minoxidil (Rogaine - the foam, like you mentioned, is quite popular) and finasteride (Propecia). Shampoos like Nizoral contain ketoconazole, which is a mild inhibitor of the hormone that directly causes male pattern baldness, and can help in conjunction with Propecia and Rogaine, but usually isn't recommended as a stand-alone therapy. If you'd like to set up a consultation to go over your options and possibly obtain a prescription for Propecia (which should really help stabilize your shedding), I think you should take a look at our recommended hair restoration physicians. Any of these elite doctors will be able to properly analyze your current level of loss and write you a prescription for Propecia (if necessary). In fact, quite a few also offer free consultations. I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any additional questions, and keep researching!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you for the replies so far. I have tried Provillus (tablets only), and the Nioxin scalp therapy system, to name a couple.

I know that Propecia is finasteride in a branded form, and I already have some Kirkland minoxidil, so I'm willing to try it, as well as the Nizoral shampoo.

I am kinda shocked at how much I've lost over the past year, and if I can't stem the shedding, I will have scalp showing through very soon, and that is a very depressing thought.

I will seek to get all the best advice I can, and I'm so glad I've joined this forum, as it seems to be the best place to come for all of my questions and support. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just an update - I've been taking finasteride (Proscar 1mg) for just over a year now, as well as using generic minoxidil (from June 2011), and Nizoral for around 6 months.

I've got an appointment at my local hairdressers this afternoon, after letting my hair grow for around 2 months from the last appointment, and I'm dreading it, as I really feel as though I've lost so much hair in that time, that it's really going to notice now, and the above treatments have really not helped me at all during this time.

I'm feeling really depressed now, as I really thought they would stop the loss, but it seems like they haven't had any effect whatsoever.

I know these things take time, but I thought it would have some sort of effect by now.

If I started using minoxidil when I did (June), would that mean there would be some initial shedding, or not?

I have also modified my diet to contain 'hair boosting' smoothies and general healthier meals over the past month or so, so I'm hoping that there may be a change around in the latter months of the year, but at the moment I feel like giving the regimen up.

Has anyone got any thought, or encouragement for me, as it's not a good moment at all. :(

1) Keep up the propecia/minox. 2) Start taking pictures to monitor your loss. 3) Start looking to hair transplantation.

1 - You never really know how well the meds are maintaining your hair until you quit them. So don't quit - they might be preserving more hair than you think.

2 - Pics are the only real way to monitor your hair state. Take them every few months - same place and lighting environment for consistency.

3 - You are at a great age for HT's. Start researching - do your homework.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I agree. You have been on the propecia long enough to see results. Results vary and may simply be that it has slowed/stabilized your hair loss. Adding minox may well help as it is my understanding the combination of propecia/minox is better than either alone. So, like aaron1234 said keep up the meds. You should start doing serious research on HT and consult with several top surgeons which you can find here.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Well, after getting my hair cut yesterday, I feel a bit better about things, but even so, I don't think the lost hair is coming back, and it has got worse in the past year, no doubt about it.

I would like to consider a HT, if I could afford it, but that is out of the question for the next few years at least.

I will keep up the meds, as considering stopping them is a worse prospect than keeping them going.

I would've hoped for a regrowth after the initial shedding last summer, but it seems like those hairs have long gone now, even though I thought they would return after the meds got going, etc.