Thinking of HT

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm considering a hair transplant. Unfortunately propecia is not an option for me and rogaine only made things worse. I use nizoral most days but it has not helped much. I am 22 and have been losing my hair since the age of 18. I'm a diffuse thinner. Sides and back are like they have always been - not noticed any change there but the top has thinned dramatically. It is starting to really affect me. I emailed Hasson and Wong and they told me to wait as i'm 22, can't take propecia and due to the risk of shockloss. Dr Rahal has said he would put 2000 grafts in the front but i haven't heard back from Adrian. I asked him some questions. What are your thoughts? I really want to do something about this and not wait before i am a NW6.

1photo.jpg.1686886351539ea92b40237466cb4557.jpg

2photo3.jpg.63bc6ae9db27e14774a2169fa4d9741f.jpg

4photo4.jpg.25ffea98ca0caadac1489714a49662bd.jpg

5photo5.jpg.82c68592fdadf491302f63756fce1563.jpg

You're young and a diffuse thinner. Not a good combination for a HT. Have you at least tried propecia?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Propecia gave me severe side effects which after 3 years I still haven't recovered from. It is really not an option for me. From what i've read people with DPA like myself are, in the right hands, good candidates. We just have to prepare for progression to NW6 or even 7. The question is when really...i don't know when. I'd only trust maybe Dr Hasson/Wong or Dr Rahal from what I've seen.

You actually have alot of hair right now. You will not be able to get that much hair with hair transplants.

I think your situation is pretty good overall. I would experiment with Toppik, dermatch, couvre, and styling putty/gels. I HONESTLY believe that you have enough hair that with correct styling, it will not look like there is loss until your late 20s. At that point, you will be a good candidate for HT.

SSC2100,

I actually feel that diffuse thinners can be great candidates for hair transplants. However, given your young age and the fact that you still have a lot of hair, I do not feel that you are a candidate for hair restoration surgery at this time.

Since Propecia is causing side effects for you, you may want to seriously try Rogaine foam hair regrowth stimulant in the thinning areas combined with other antiandrogens like ketoconazole - Nizoral Shampoo, Extina foam (prescription only); Crinagen, Revivogen, etc.

Best wishes in restoring your hair,

Bill Seemiller

I would stick with H&W's recommendation and hold off. Judging from your photos, I have no idea where Dr. Rahal is planning on putting 2,000 grafts. You don't seem to be losing anything in your front right now. Don't make the mistake of going from doctor to doctor until you hear what it is that you want to hear. Remember, H&W have no financial incentive in telling you to wait, they are merely looking out for your best interests.

I'd had an update review by Dr Rahal who concurs with Dr Hasson/Wong. He says my front is actually not as bad as he thought and that I should wait til i lose more on the vertex/midscalp. So waiting i will. Its a matter of time. I agree it is more thinning all on top with diffuse loss. Nanogen will help with the look. To be honest its the feel i really don't like but i'll have to get used to it. I do trust these surgeons on their opinions. They sure have earned it in my view. I shall continue with Nanogen and may try this Revivogen. Thanks Bill.

My aim though ultimately is to get the best result possible. Maybe now is not the best time although it does really get on my nerves. But if that takes strip and then fue and then BHT I will get a long term result that I'm happy with (don't expect pre-hair loss results - but LondonLad - i hope - lots of scalp exercises!). I'd rather spend money on a full head of hair rather than a fancy car any day.