African American hair transplant - Which doctor?

onetwo

I'v read on many website about how african american hair give good result after surgery because of its curly nature. I have also read it is harder to safely take out grafts from the donor area again due to the curveture of the hair. I really wanna get a transplant. Surely people with such type of hair can give me some advise. Hair transplant is delicate and I wanna make sure I go to the right doctor for the right type of hair.

onetwo,

African American hair transplantation does bring some distinct challenges. However, many reputable physicians have produced some excellent results on African Americans. You can find some of these examples on our forum. To see which surgeons we recommend, click here. To see our high standards for recommendation, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

It is true that hair transplantation in African Americans can be a bit tricky. But I have to admit that some of my most impressive cases have been in patients with these same hair characteristics. In most cases descent coverage can be obtained with fewer grafts than is usually needed for the same sized area.

Dr. Charles,

I couldn't agree more. I've seen some cases where African American hair characteristics created excellent coverage and density. Onetwo, Dr. Steven Gabel recently posted a case where the curvature of donor grafts, in an African American patient, was given extra consideration. The patient is female, but you may find some of the information in the synopsis relevant and helpful. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 years later...
As a male I wear my hair short therefore I would not want the scare. i wish u the best.

Dr. Sanusi Umar has worked on quite a few African Americans. He is also AA. Not that the matters, but it probably helps in a better understanding AA hair. Dr. Umar is located in Redondo beach, and you won't end up with a scar. He does FUE.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

I am AA and have had strip ( Two procedures Approx 2600 grafts). You need to be wary of the donor area as 'our' hair type does not do a good job of concealing the scar. Actually,I am currently researching FUE surgeons in Florida to determine who would give me the best chance at scar reduction and improving hairline density. I will post updated pics soon since I didn't post any after the second procedure in 2010. Please note that my results have improved since having the second procedure with Dr. Siporin however the donor area is still a major cause for concern. Any surgeon recommendations are welcomed. Please see link below......

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136079-14-months-post-op-dr-siporin.html

Medication:

Propecia

Rogaine Foam