Propecia after transplant

I would like to know if there are any patients out there that have decided that Propecia is not for them and went through the HT process. I need about 1800 -2500 grafts but do not think I am a med guy.

That said, I do realize that I could loose more hair but would think that several hair transplants would cover my loss as I go. Is there anyone out there that has taken this approach?:confused:

take a look at this video and you see why you shouldn't take in every sh*t. side effects might be too bad and i think it's not worth to risk your healthy life because of the baldness. i'm not med guy neither and i think exactly the same way like hairmee and would like to hear other opinions. and i would like to know how good (yield) are the results after ht?

and take a look at this short video too

using propecia 1 week and you already might be impotent. is it worth to risk? i don't think so. i certainly wanna become a father in the future and i wanna have healthy life.

Edited by krapok

After taking Propecia and I had been side effects I decided to stop and not touch it again.

despite the Dr. I talked to said there was no point if I am not taking the medicine but I probably will go for it anyway

I plan to do the transplant and continue to walk with short hair as I go now

hope that I will not go bald dramatically.

Whether you like it or not, your eventually gonna have to become the "med guy" - you can't live as long as we do in this age without the help of powerful medicinal drugs. Every drug aims to help combat something and then has a variety of side effects. And if your not going to be taking Finasteride, your going to have to wait until your hair loss is stabilized or your pattern is well-formed to have a hair transplant performed on you, so good luck.

nd - i'm thinking about ht too (fue) without using any meds. meds don't give you full head of hair anyway and i don't wanna ruin my life because of them (sides). it just would be too crazy to take them every day and whole of your life.

i hope that the yield after ht is the same like without no meds and i hope that there won't be any permanent shockloss of native hair. i wanna use fue methid only because if i wanna cut my hair short in the future (like 1mm) then i don't have that stupid smily scar on back of my head. i don't wanna make any bad choices thinking about the later future.

How many people actually get the sideeffects? Probably not too many. Personally, I've taken 1.25 mg proscar for the past 3 years, and the only side effect I've noticed is that my semen is slightly thinner. No decrease in sexual drive at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

My experience with finasteride is pretty much the same as Mike's. In a perfect world, I would prefer to not be the "med guy" too and I struggled with the decision before my HT. My doctor didn't push the issue but I knew that the best way to get the most from my investment would be to use the drug. I'm glad I did! Not only have I not experienced further loss. I'm fairly certain that my hair has thickened in the crown.

Everyone has to decide for themselves but side effects are fairly rare and in the vast majority of cases they are reported to be temporary.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Well i wd be among the minority here but I chose not to hang on to the meds for every day the rest of my life. now i am aware that might and surely wd lose more hair but i cant tamper with my bod with something that just might change the way i perceive myself.

I wd have to go in in for additional Hts but I am okai with that !

Cheers !

one quick question about the hair transplant. My hair loss is on the top. I don't think I had hair loss on the sides or back. But my hair on the sides and back were never thick. My question is that will the places where the hair is removed for transplant grow back hair? If not, I am afraid that my back and side after the hair transplant will be so thin that my scalp will become visible.

I really think the internet is to blame about the hype of propecia and side effects. The fact is that just as many people had side effects in the placebo group as those that did in the test group of fda studies, which btw was less than 2%.

You need to take propecia to keep your donor hair healthy and keep the hair you still have left. "Filling in with transplants" wont replace what you already have. Hair is a nonrenewable resource and once its gone its likely gone forever. Why spend 10,000 dollars on a ht only to keep having to go back and back to b/c you lose more hair? Your scalp will keep getting tighter and tighter and your yield will be smaller and smaller.

Most people here will tell you they dont experience sides (and if they do they are temporary) and that it has done a good job at keeping their hair. When i first started taking proscar I was worried about the sides so much and actually convinced myself I was getting them. When I stopped worrying about them and just took the dam pill I was fine. Talk to any ht surgeon here and ask them about their patients experiences with propecia if you dont believe me.

Edited by hdude46

The thing I am trying to grasp here, as I started this thread, is that why not go back and have additional HT's as your pattern progresses....instead of taking the meds? It's not like your hair falls out overnight anyway. I mean, I've seen some pretty bald guys that have had a couple of sessions of 2500 (each) and they have a full head of hair now. Actually, I have talked to them personally about it. Yes they were on propecia but we all know that the most hair you have right now is on your head. Propecia only allows you to keep what you have.

So in my example, I am 39.5 years old and have a receeding high hairline... that has progressed over the years. I was diagnosed to need about 1800-2000 ish grafts as I have fine hair but good groups.

If I don't mind spending more on additional procedures in the future (considering my age), why not go back for another 1500-2000 in the next 5-10 years and stay away from the meds??

read my second paragraph again.

also what if u progress to a nw 6-7...a ht wont give u anywhere close to a full head of hair. people forget a ht is just an illusion of density and not real density.

A fullblown NW6-7 is likely going to need 7k-11k grafts to achieve good density, just for comparison.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Given the overwhelming recommendations by doctors to take finasteride, I am amazed by how many people chicken out because of a few isolated cases of side effects. Taking finasteride should always be the first option before considering HT, at least a year before HT. I have taken finasteride for about 2.5 years now, no side effect, but great improvement -- in term of hair grow back. I would say my result is about 40% med and 60% HT.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

i took finesteride and my penis felt like rubber it also shrivelled up and my orgasms where hardly worth having no just anti climax! i also work out alot and notived a difference in body condition i lost some definition and looked less tonned over all like i was holding water???

either way i stopped and i must admit my hair did get thinner and neadless to stay i stopped the meds and my sexual function returned to normal thank god but i really dont think i could go on it again i was on it for a year!!!

im going for a mega session shortely just hoping my choice of not wanting to take propecia will effect my new hair growth