HT eligible as a medical expense?

So tomorrow I will try to book a session with Dr. Rahal, I live in Toronto, Canada and went to the Revenue Canada website (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330/llwbl-eng.html) and they said that "Hair Transplants" are eligible as a medical expense. I wanted to know if anyone in Canada had this as an expense and if it worked out for them? Below is what I got from the "Revenue Canada" website and you can see under "H" that it says: hair transplant.

Which medical expenses are eligible?

The cost of any of the following items can be claimed at line 330 or used in the calculation for a claim at line 331. When you click on any of the medical expenses below, a brief description of the expense is given along with any certification needed, including the need for an approved Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate. This list is not exhaustive. If you click on an expense, click on the browser back button to return to this list.

For a more detailed list and additional information of allowable medical expenses, see IT519, Medical Expense and Disability Tax Credits and Attendant Care Expense Deduction.

Note

The person with the impairment may be able to claim some of the following expenses as a disability supports deduction on line 215. He or she can claim these expenses at either line 215 or line 330, or split the claim between lines 215 and 330 as long as the total of the amounts claimed is not more than the total paid. The person may claim whichever is better for him or her.

A

* Acoustic coupler

* Air conditioner

* Air filter, cleaner, or purifier

* Ambulance

* Animals

* Artificial eye

* Artificial limbs

* Attendant care expenses

* Audible signal

B

* Baby's cry signal

* Bathroom aids

* Bliss symbol boards

* Blood transfusion

* Bone conductor receiver

* Bone marrow transplant

* Brace for a limb

* Braille note-takers

* Braille printers

* Breast prosthesis

C

* Cancer treatment

* Catheters

* Certificates

* Chair

* Cochlear implant

* Colostomy and ileostomy pads

* Computer peripherals

* Contact lenses

* Cosmetic surgery

* Crutches

D

* Deaf-blind intervening services

* Dentist

* Dentures

* Detoxification clinic

* Devices or software

* Diapers or disposable briefs

* Diathermy

* Doctor

* Driveway access

* Drugs

* Drugs and medical devices bought under Health Canada's Special Access Programme

E

* Elastic support hose

* Electric shock treatments

* Electrolysis

* Electronic bone healing device

* Electronic speech synthesizers

* Elevators or lifts

* Environment control system (computerized or electronic)

* Extremity pump

* Eyeglasses

F

* Furnace

G

* Gluten-free products

* Group home

H

* Hair transplant surgery

* Hearing aids

* Heart monitor

* Home care services

* Homeopathic services

* Hospitals

* Hospital bed

* Hydrotherapy

So tomorrow I will try to book a session with Dr. Rahal, I live in Toronto, Canada and went to the Revenue Canada website (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330/llwbl-eng.html) and they said that "Hair Transplants" are eligible as a medical expense. I wanted to know if anyone in Canada had this as an expense and if it worked out for them? Below is what I got from the "Revenue Canada" website and you can see under "H" that it says: hair transplant.

Which medical expenses are eligible?

The cost of any of the following items can be claimed at line 330 or used in the calculation for a claim at line 331. When you click on any of the medical expenses below, a brief description of the expense is given along with any certification needed, including the need for an approved Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate. This list is not exhaustive. If you click on an expense, click on the browser back button to return to this list.

For a more detailed list and additional information of allowable medical expenses, see IT519, Medical Expense and Disability Tax Credits and Attendant Care Expense Deduction.

Note

The person with the impairment may be able to claim some of the following expenses as a disability supports deduction on line 215. He or she can claim these expenses at either line 215 or line 330, or split the claim between lines 215 and 330 as long as the total of the amounts claimed is not more than the total paid. The person may claim whichever is better for him or her.

A

* Acoustic coupler

* Air conditioner

* Air filter, cleaner, or purifier

* Ambulance

* Animals

* Artificial eye

* Artificial limbs

* Attendant care expenses

* Audible signal

B

* Baby's cry signal

* Bathroom aids

* Bliss symbol boards

* Blood transfusion

* Bone conductor receiver

* Bone marrow transplant

* Brace for a limb

* Braille note-takers

* Braille printers

* Breast prosthesis

C

* Cancer treatment

* Catheters

* Certificates

* Chair

* Cochlear implant

* Colostomy and ileostomy pads

* Computer peripherals

* Contact lenses

* Cosmetic surgery

* Crutches

D

* Deaf-blind intervening services

* Dentist

* Dentures

* Detoxification clinic

* Devices or software

* Diapers or disposable briefs

* Diathermy

* Doctor

* Driveway access

* Drugs

* Drugs and medical devices bought under Health Canada's Special Access Programme

E

* Elastic support hose

* Electric shock treatments

* Electrolysis

* Electronic bone healing device

* Electronic speech synthesizers

* Elevators or lifts

* Environment control system (computerized or electronic)

* Extremity pump

* Eyeglasses

F

* Furnace

G

* Gluten-free products

* Group home

H

* Hair transplant surgery

* Hearing aids

* Heart monitor

* Home care services

* Homeopathic services

* Hospitals

* Hospital bed

* Hydrotherapy

HT cost can be claimed as medical expense. Cost of transportation, lodging and meal may also be claimed if you need to travel from out of town to see your HT doctor.

You may also claim these expenses if your HT doctor is from out of Canada. You can check the interpretation bulletin IT519R2, paragraph 12, for that.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Originally posted by latinlotus:

HT cost can be claimed as medical expense. Cost of transportation, lodging and meal may also be claimed if you need to travel from out of town to see your HT doctor.

You may also claim these expenses if your HT doctor is from out of Canada. You can check the interpretation bulletin IT519R2, paragraph 12, for that.

Hi latinlotus, thanks for the reply, so as an example if a HT cost is $15000 and someone is making say around $60000 annually then how much can they get back?

hey reptile,

I'm from the GTA aswell, and had a procedure with dr. rahal.

I was able to vlaim my procedure on my taxes, but im unsure over the amount I got back from it because i also claimed my tuition.

good luck

2998 grafts/ Dr. Rahal/ 9/11/2007

My Hair Loss Weblog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal

Pretty damn happy

Originally posted by dannyskywalker:

hey reptile,

I'm from the GTA aswell, and had a procedure with dr. rahal.

I was able to vlaim my procedure on my taxes, but im unsure over the amount I got back from it because i also claimed my tuition.

good luck

Thanks for the reply, I PM'd you.

Reptile

I am chartered accountant, but, i don't do much tax anymore, beside i am from Quebec, which is a bit different than the rest of Canada. I know the tax rules but if you want to ask me specific of tax rates, i would not be able to answer since i rely on my tax software, which i can't have access to it now.

I do think you can get a tax credit equal to 15% of the cost of HT.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I think, in Canada, you get a credit for medical costs exceeding 3 percent of your gross income.

So, at $60,000 per year income, you'd start getting a credit once the cost exceeds $1,800.00.

However, I'm a U.S. citizen and am not sure on this one. I'm only going on memory from what other Canadian posters have said in the past.