Hey All,

I'd appreciate everyones opinions on the best way to care for the donor area immediately post-op (ie keeping the wound moist, letting it dry, how often to wash, applying oils/gels etc) please.

Maxxy,

Quite honestly, time is the best healer. You may want to apply some aloe vera to it as needed to help alleviate any itching for the first couple of months. I've also found that Nioxin shampoo and conditioner helps alleviate donor itch, especially while the staples/sutures are still in.

You could consider applying mederma to the scar after the sutures/staples have been removed. However, I'm not real convinced that it will do much for it.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

You may want to apply some aloe vera to it as needed to help alleviate any itching for the first couple of months. I've also found that Nioxin shampoo and conditioner helps alleviate donor itch, especially while the staples/sutures are still in.

Bill,

I've read of donor itch many times but I honestly can't remember suffering it the first time round. I do have some Aloe Vera gel so I'll take it with me - I've also ordered some Mederma, can't hurt I guess.

Thanks

Nizoral shampoo can be used on an intermittant basis after the procedure for the itching. Vitamin E oit is inexpensive and can be used on the donor wound after the sutures or staples have been removed. You should avoid excessive flexion of the neck for a few months after the procedure.

Dr. Charles,

Thank you for the reply. If a patient receives absorbable sutures (which of course are not removed) when do you feel it is safe to apply products to the donor?

I'd also like to hear other peoples opinions on the above question.

Hi Maxxy,

Normally, patients are asked to wash their donor area daily. We provide our patients with a small tube of Polysporin Ointment and ask that they apply a small amount over the sutured area for a few days after washing. Generally, Dr Simmons uses sutures that require removal. We have found that applying the ointment helps minimize any scabbing and suture removal is more comfortable.

Louise

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I can see why clinics prefer staples, zero effort, far less time thus more profit etc. But to what extent do staples benefit the patient? I had these abominations in the back of my head for 10 days and it was sheer hell, the resultant scar is nothing to write home about.

Surely sutures are better for the patients comfort?