using a hair system during the first couple months after HT

hi guys, i am going for HT surgery next month under Dr Pat, and i was thinking of an idea which i would like to share and gather some opinions

I am rather concerned over lingering and prolonged redness in the recipient area ( for me its just frontal ) and since getting a month off work is a strict no-no for me, i was thinking if it would be wise to get a hair system for the first couple months when the redness is still there.

After a couple months or more, depending on the rate the recipient site is healing, then i can discard the hair system.

any opinions guys? In the first place, roughly two weeks after surgery, i reckon it should be safe to put on the hair system w/o hurting the recipient area?

Any advice and opinion would be deeply appreciated! thanks!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

wb280

What Tsakalos said isn't necessarily true although I think it's good to err on the side of caution. Hair transplant patients can wear a hairpiece after surgery provided it breathe's easy and they only wear it when they feel they have to (work, social events, etc.)

Extended postoperative redness can occur, especially on patients with lighter/paler skin tone. If you don't see any improvement or its getting worse, be sure to contact your hair restoration physician.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

hi bill,

i actually haven tried on any hair system but wearing a hat is not an option for me as i work in the city and err... i reckon a hat does not go well with shirt and tie so its really quite tough for me in case the redness does not subside on time

You seem to have some reservations on hair systems, in the sense that u feel the stickers or clips might damage the grafts?

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

wb280,

Some hair restoration physicians believe that some tight fitting hairpieces may hinder growth of the new transplanted hair if worn too frequently. That's why if you're going to wear a hairpiece, it's better to wear it as infrequently as possible and wear one that breathe's easy.

For more information, I recommend reading "Will Wearing a Hairpiece During the Hair Transplant Healing Period Hinder Growth?"

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

Dr. Bernstein told me that my lace hairpiece would have no negative impact on the success of a hair transplant. However, I only were it at work and take it off as soon as I get home and don’t wear it at all on weekends unless there is a special event.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

You can wear a hat, you just need an accompanying jacket. It might seem awkward but trust me, it works - just make sure you don't wear a new era cap with a northface jacket.

You can wear a hat, you just need an accompanying jacket. It might seem awkward but trust me, it works - just make sure you don't wear a new era cap with a northface jacket.

But surely he would need to take the hat off indoors.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

hi guys, thanks for the feedback but i think coat is unworkable as i am from a tropical country like Bangkok! TTDS, i did read from the articles from the top docs that somehow those hair piece wearers have less success ( no matter how small it is ) than those who did not wear. No conclusion has been made so far as to the reason behind. Just wan to check with u, do u feel that the hair piece might damage the newly planted hair or maybe ventilation is not as its best so growth might be affected.

Since I am not a doctor I am not qualified to answer your question. All I can tell you is one of the top doctors in the coalition told me my hair piece would have no negative consequences on my hair transplant. Mine is 100% lace which is very breathable and also very loose only attached with four clips. It is also oversized so it will create very little friction.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

P.S. I waited about three weeks after the procedure before I began wearing it again. This was with the doctor's permission.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

i m seriously tempted to use it. If things go well, i can hide the redness and go work as usual :) I m meeting up with one of my local hair system guys whom i actually buy toppik from for a few yrs already.

can i check with u something TTDS? For my existing hair, do u overlap it with the system hair or u pull it thru the lace holes and blend in with the system hair?

Have it made a little larger than your balding area so it is not too tight on the scalp. Have four clips sewn onto the back sides and closer up to the front sides. Don't secure the clips too tightly this can lead to traction alopecia. Make sure the piece is 100% lace which is very breathable. I secure the front with a small strip of lace tape right below the transplanted hairline and one piece of tape on my crown which is bald. It isn't ideal but I've never had to worry about it falling off. Once my transplant matures in the fall I plan to remove the piece and have one just on the crown. That is an area between the size of a silver dollar and baseball so it should be much easier to manage. If anyone out there has a piece on just the crown I'd love to hear from you.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts