SpaceBetween's HT Preparation - questions, input, worries, advice

Hey all. I'm sure most of you have read my posts with various questions over time. I have been researching HTs for a few years now and have finally settled in to getting one. I am booked with Dr. Rahal in the next few months. It's finally becoming a reality and I am getting nervous.

Let me start by putting a link to the pics I posted months back... http://hair-restoration-info.c...466060861/m/47910973

Now, honestly, those pics make things look better than they really are. My frontal hairs are barely there and for some reason the recession doesn't look as bad (must be because of flash). But you guys get the idea.

I am on propecia and minox and have maintained crown and top pretty well over the years. I have decided to go with Dr. Rahal based on my research. I was estimated at 3000 - 3500 grafts. I will restore my frontal hairline and a bit of the sides. Btw, I am 24 years old.

Now it is known that Dr. Rahal shaves the recipient. This is probably the part that makes me the most nervous. I work in an office setting. I really don't know how to conceal. I know i'm not going to look back to normal, but i just don't want to look like a freak. I will have 2 weeks off. I work with a lot of people (all ages) and some people aren't afraid to say anything (yikes).

Hairloss has really torn me apart, but I have kept a level head and have not jumped into any hasty decisions. It affects every aspect of my life on a daily basis. It has resulted in me pulling away from most things in my life and leaving me depressed. Being constantly unhappy with the way you look, knowing that others see you that way. The person I feel that I express to others and the physical person they see are just not the same person. I have trouble looking in the mirror and not wanting to just tear up. Thana has made a few great posts about what hairloss does to a man, and I feel those exact feelings.

My expectations are not that of a jaded man at all. i don't expect a full density norwood one hairline. I want to make a nice rounded hairline, one where I can be conservative enough to save donor for future procedures. I know that I will lose a lot more hair in the future, so I am not going to play this like I'm done. It seems pretty unrealistic for a man to take propecia the rest of his life... especially since it hasn't even been on the market that long. I do plan on taking it as long as possible though.

Do you think its realistic for me to restore a hairline, leaving donor for the future to help with the top and crown?? I know I will never have a full head of hair again, and that is fine. I would just like my face framed, and have a little coverage on top when all is said and done. I have thought this through for a long time now and this is the direction I feel that I need to take.

I will never shave down all the way. I am extremely blonde, obviously, and pale. My eyebrows are blonde as well. I honestly look like I have a disease when my hair is buzzed, shaved down. I have done it before and received nothing but negative feedback. So even if I lost all my hair. I would probably keep a buzzed horseshoe. Btw, I have grown to hate the word horseshoe, but it's a great game!!

I had a mind full of things to say and ask so im hoping I covered everything.

I just wanted an all-encompassing post that would include my thoughts and concerns. Dr. Rahal's office has been extremely accommodating and I am very thankful for that. Oh yeah, I'm in US and will be making the trip to Canada.

Any input/questions/advice/personal stories, anything, would be greatly appreciated. My mind has been going crazy, racing back and forth between thoughts on whether I should do this or not.

This forum has been amazing and I could never thank you all enough for contributing and helping out.

Cheers to hair!

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

Hey all. I'm sure most of you have read my posts with various questions over time. I have been researching HTs for a few years now and have finally settled in to getting one. I am booked with Dr. Rahal in the next few months. It's finally becoming a reality and I am getting nervous.

Let me start by putting a link to the pics I posted months back... http://hair-restoration-info.c...466060861/m/47910973

Now, honestly, those pics make things look better than they really are. My frontal hairs are barely there and for some reason the recession doesn't look as bad (must be because of flash). But you guys get the idea.

I am on propecia and minox and have maintained crown and top pretty well over the years. I have decided to go with Dr. Rahal based on my research. I was estimated at 3000 - 3500 grafts. I will restore my frontal hairline and a bit of the sides. Btw, I am 24 years old.

Now it is known that Dr. Rahal shaves the recipient. This is probably the part that makes me the most nervous. I work in an office setting. I really don't know how to conceal. I know i'm not going to look back to normal, but i just don't want to look like a freak. I will have 2 weeks off. I work with a lot of people (all ages) and some people aren't afraid to say anything (yikes).

Hairloss has really torn me apart, but I have kept a level head and have not jumped into any hasty decisions. It affects every aspect of my life on a daily basis. It has resulted in me pulling away from most things in my life and leaving me depressed. Being constantly unhappy with the way you look, knowing that others see you that way. The person I feel that I express to others and the physical person they see are just not the same person. I have trouble looking in the mirror and not wanting to just tear up. Thana has made a few great posts about what hairloss does to a man, and I feel those exact feelings.

My expectations are not that of a jaded man at all. i don't expect a full density norwood one hairline. I want to make a nice rounded hairline, one where I can be conservative enough to save donor for future procedures. I know that I will lose a lot more hair in the future, so I am not going to play this like I'm done. It seems pretty unrealistic for a man to take propecia the rest of his life... especially since it hasn't even been on the market that long. I do plan on taking it as long as possible though.

Do you think its realistic for me to restore a hairline, leaving donor for the future to help with the top and crown?? I know I will never have a full head of hair again, and that is fine. I would just like my face framed, and have a little coverage on top when all is said and done. I have thought this through for a long time now and this is the direction I feel that I need to take.

I will never shave down all the way. I am extremely blonde, obviously, and pale. My eyebrows are blonde as well. I honestly look like I have a disease when my hair is buzzed, shaved down. I have done it before and received nothing but negative feedback. So even if I lost all my hair. I would probably keep a buzzed horseshoe. Btw, I have grown to hate the word horseshoe, but it's a great game!!

I had a mind full of things to say and ask so im hoping I covered everything.

I just wanted an all-encompassing post that would include my thoughts and concerns. Dr. Rahal's office has been extremely accommodating and I am very thankful for that. Oh yeah, I'm in US and will be making the trip to Canada.

Any input/questions/advice/personal stories, anything, would be greatly appreciated. My mind has been going crazy, racing back and forth between thoughts on whether I should do this or not.

This forum has been amazing and I could never thank you all enough for contributing and helping out.

Cheers to hair!

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Yer making a great decision, bro! You've researched well, your expectations are sound, and you're in a solid spot to get a robust HT that will transform you. I actually don't even like the word "transform" by itself -- it's really more of a "reclamation", or a transformative-reclamation.

The # of grafts to the recipient looks good, and even if you have finer hair the scalp-color contrast works in your favor. Based off of everything you've said (thoughts on bic'ing, realism about multiple HTs, meds, goals, etc.) I have little doubt that this will be awesome for you!

I'd only add to look into either furthering an existing hobby or picking up a new one (ideally something physical, IMO, but not necessarily so). I've talked about this in detail in the past, but I believe it has multiple benefits, some obvious (taking mind off the HT process) and some not-as obvious (optimizing the process that occurs as our end-results begin impacting our self-view and outward confidence in a level, realistic, long-term manner). In a sense, our negative view of hair is aggrandized and (unfairly) disproportionate; likewise, IMO, it's best to not allow ourselves to slip swiftly into a *positive* view of hair that *in turn* is an aggrandizement and unrealistically *favorable*.

The more hairloss smites you the more likely it is to fall into this rough sketch of a "trap" once you do have hair.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks, Thana! It's great to hear this positive reinforcement.I agree with you on the reclamation.

My mind really can't grasp what post-op is going to be like so I am always trying to keep my mind at ease. I definitely need to get my mind set on furthering my hobbies

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

I am by no means an authority on this message board (long time "lurker"), but I definitely 2nd thana's sentiments. It seems that you have your head in the right place regarding realistic expectations, which I think is of utmost importance when going for a HT. My hair situation is actually similar to yours (I am also 24), although I have a moderatley stronger widow's peak and slightly stronger forelock while you look to have moderately stronger temples. icon_biggrin.gif My hair is also much more dirty blonde than yours. I think you will be satisfied with your 3000-3500 graft count. I got 1521 grafts about a month ago to reinforce my hairline and temples, which to be honest, I think will leave me lacking in the density department, although I do have above average donor density and I am on finasteride so I hope that it will be a start (I will probably go back for a 2nd procedure in a few years when money permits). Good luck to you! I think everything is going to turn out good, and you are getting your procedure done by a great doc with results proven many times over. BTW, how long have you been on finasteride, and how well is it working in your opinion?

If you wanna scream, scream with me....

SpaceB/w - I think your pre-op photos look exactly like Eman's. And I'm sure you have seen his results. Rahal is an excellent doc from what I've seen and I think you'll have an amazing result.

Half of Eman's result would make you look 100% better. Good luck!

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Space,

Be prepared for people to notice unless you use a concealer - dermatch, dermablend and other options are out there. Just check with your doc first.

Frankly, I've told people that ask and they've said cool, good luck. So many men are in the same boat and really dont' care. And women really could care less - half of them are getting botox and boobies.

You have a long life ahead of you and most likely you will change jobs and nobody will be the wiser. And those that know will be jealous when they see your result. Although I hate where I'm at in my recovery (2 months and still red), I'm happy I've finally done something about it. There is something relaxing in knowing that its all up to the hairtransplant gods at this point.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Space- sorry for not posting sooner to your thread. I read it a few days ago, so again I apologize.

You have asked all the right questions in this and other posts. I think you are about as ready as you can be.

Your expectations are right in line with what they should be in terms of restoring your hairline. If this wasn't possible, we wouldn't even think about doing this. From your pics, I would say 3-3.5 is a good estimate for you. You have a lot more hair than I did going into this and it looks like your hair caliber is thicker. All good things. The framing of your face will definitely help bring back that youthful look to you...just today a sexy woman at the DMV (I couldn't believe it), said "Thank you young man" and I told her I was at least ten years older than her. She was 29, so six years, but it made me feel good!

Follow spex's list, it really helps: http://hair-restoration-info.c...441089343#6441089343

Get all your grocery shopping done, get additional baby shampoo and vitamin e oil, if you like to read/watch movies/new hobby--get all of that ready.

If you have any questions, please ask!

PS- Thanks Abedog

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks for all of the input guys!

I've been getting very excited as I have been working all out the details with Dr. Rahal's office.

used2beshaggy - Thanks for that positive feedback. I was on propecia in 2004-2005. Had awesome results and quit because I didn't think I needed it anymore (Do you think I was right?)

I've been back on it since May '08, and it seems to be holding my crown and top very well. Can't say it's done much for my hairline.

Abedogg - I've related a lot to eman's pre-ops, and I would be ecstatic if I got a result like his!

eman - I was looking forward to a reply from you. Congratulations on your success so far, and you still have so much to go! Do you mind if I PM you sometime soon with anymore detailed questions?

Stay hairy y'all!

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

e-man -- Thanks! I will definitely be in contact

So in the on-going struggle to figure out how to handle work post-op, I found this thread...

http://hair-restoration-info.c...6060861/m/4821010763

Now the guy never reveals what he used. Most speculate Dermmatch. But has anyone been able to use a concealer like this to help disguise the HT when going back to work??? This may give me a little more hope if so.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

getting away with it is extremely tough. The "ugly" phase lasts a long time and being at work makes it seem to last even longer.

For me, it was all about strategy:

1. Get in early, leaving didn't matter as I would throw a hat on

2. I had an office, so I would stand up a lot for phone calls and when people would come in. They got used to me standing up. I told them it was better for my back.

3. I brought my lunch, thus didn't have to walk in sunshine, bright lights in restaurant/fast food. Fill up water bottle when you first get in so you don't need to walk around.

4. Avoided looking down for both recipient and scar area would be noticeable--face people at all times

5. It is tough!!

I was able to take almost three weeks off before heading back into work, which helped. I wore a hat to and from work and there is a picture of the one I wore on my blog (I think the one or two month mark).

My company had just been bought so most people were concerned about the future and not staring at my head. Conference calls vs. meetings.

If you are in a cubicle it will be a lot tougher and may need to wear a cap. Simply speak to your boss and say you will need to do so for some medical reason and don't want to expose it to others.

I never did concealers, so I am not much help there. Many guys have done well with topikk, dermatch, couvre, and there may be others. Again, in my case it was strategy and being hyper aware of my surroundings.

My initial HT thread:

space, shaving down just the recipient area and nowhere else is the worst look you can sport. be prepared because you will want to shave it all down. also, once it is all shaved down there's really no way to hide the fact that you had an ht unless you wear a hat. i recommend finding some cool/hip looking ones. kangol has a wide variety as does bailey of hollywood. whatever route you choose make sure you get comfortable with the look pre-surgery. also, with fair hair/skin the redness will be especially noticeable. some people will recommend vitamin e or emu oil, which might help, but be prepared for the redness to last up to 5 months.

hope i'm not being a downer, but just wanted you to understand the full extent of the "ugly duckling" phase.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks, everyone for all the words. Seriously.

My mind has been racing so much lately on whether I'm making the right choice. I seem to read all of these negative posts about HTs on forums and it seems many people are convinced that one cannot be happy with an HT.

I plan on telling Dr. Rahal to play this as if I will be completely bald. I simply cannot go on with the way my hair is right now. I've tried forever. I can't function normally.

It's as if I'm waiting for someone to tell me that this is 100% the right choice, but I know I will never get that as it is up to me. I know I will require future procedures... but I want to not have to obsess over my hair anymore. I want to get this HT and be happy for awhile. Just get hair off my mind. It doesn't have to be perfect. I just want to be able to look in the mirror and not want to die. I am doing this to improve the quality of my life. I feel trapped and this is the only way out.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Space,

Only you can decide if this is the right decision. You know you'll need further work so you're not going into it blindly thinking you'll be set for life. You say the meds have held your crown since May 08 - this is positive.

Maybe you won't lose any more hair for a few more years and you can enjoy them. Maybe you will thin more and you'll need a second transplant sooner than expected.

What is your family history of hairloss?

Space- always remember that this is your decision and yours only. Either way you decide, we will support you. It is a major decision and I totally understand what is going through your head right now.

You have done the research, you are not happy with how your hair looks now, you have made an educated decision in terms of docs...now you just need the rest of your mind to come on board. The night before my procedure as I walked through Ottawa, I asked myself many times "what am i doing?!?"

Like you, I had not liked my hair for and that reminded me as I was walking around the city as to why I was going through with this. It was for me to be comfortable with it and no one else could make this decision or help make this decision for me.

At least you are in the right place to make this decision: knowledge-wise and forum-wise.

My initial HT thread:

Space,

As you noted, this is an extremely tough decision and, of course, only you can make it. As others said, we will support any decision you make. You certainly did your research and selected someone whose results are consistently very good. One thing to remember, if you do go for it, it is a long process and you may have ups and downs during the during the process. However, remember it is the final result that ultimately counts. Best of luck whatever you decide.