Ahhhh Finally pulled the trigger after a long wait!!!

Reds

I finally decided and had my hair transplant done at Dr.Madhu's advanced hair transplant clinic in Hyderabad,INDIA. I travelled to hyderabad for a visit and decided it's a right time to have my procedure done. I was talking to Dr.Madhu in the emails since 1 month and he or his assistant doctors had answered all my questions. I met the doctor in his office and he drew plan on how many grafs will be needed to cover the frontal and mid scalp. Looking at my donar area laxity he estimated around 3000 - 3200. I explained my goal to cover the front part and the sides to make it look as natural as possible and symmetrical on both sides and touchup work on temporal peaks. Doctor said bringing the hairline too much further can cause unnatural look and require more number of grafts.

On the day of surgery:

Arrived at the hospital at 8:00AM and was ready for the surgery. The junior doctors took my pre op pictures and gave anti biotic and anesthesia, dressed up in surgical Apron. Doctor arrived and drew the plan on my head. Doctor suggested to shave the frontal part to make it easier and effective to plant the hair. I was little hesitant to shave because it's gonna look weird than any hairstyle in the world:) I thought what the hell and decided to shave :confused:

Doctor gave the anesthesia at the Donar area and it was painful for a while but after that it was totally numb. Harvested the strip and I asked how many grafts, doctor said approx 2800. the team started separating the grafts into 1's 2's and multi's. Doctor and his assistants started planting the hairs. Later Dr left for a while and the his assistants continued to plant the hair. Dr came after 2 hours and investigated the receipent and suggested some thing to them. It took 5 total hours to complete the surgery. I looked myself in the mirror after the surgery just curious to see how will I look in the future :)

The hair line looked pretty solid but I could not analyse because of the elastic band on my forehead. Dr said I should not take that band off for 3 days.Following are the total number of hairs planted

1's - 1120

2's - 1180

Multi's - 252

total - 2552

I was disappointed by the number of grafts because I was expecting more from the strip, I asked doctor that this is the less number he said he tried but couldn't get more than that. They provided me the some juice and cookies and had the anti biotic and pain killers.

I will upload my pictures soon. I need to take a good pictures. But in the mean time I am attaching my before and after surgery pic, can ya'll please comment on the work done and the hairline.

Reds,

I know we all wish we had super elastic donors that stretched like rubber bands so we could maximize the number of grafts in one session. However, it sounds like Dr. Madhu took excellent care of you and your surgical pictures looks great!

You are encouraged to create a patient website and/or blog to document your progress with photos. You may also want to update your profile picture/avatar so you are distinct from the other default faces :-)

Best wishes and happy growing,

Bill

Hi red,

Congrates for your HT.

Can you please tell me the total cost of this HT ( 2800 Grafts).

I am also planning for HT from Dr. Madhu.

Waiting for positive response and more pics

I finally decided and had my hair transplant done at Dr.Madhu's advanced hair transplant clinic in Hyderabad,INDIA. I travelled to hyderabad for a visit and decided it's a right time to have my procedure done. I was talking to Dr.Madhu in the emails since 1 month and he or his assistant doctors had answered all my questions. I met the doctor in his office and he drew plan on how many grafs will be needed to cover the frontal and mid scalp. Looking at my donar area laxity he estimated around 3000 - 3200. I explained my goal to cover the front part and the sides to make it look as natural as possible and symmetrical on both sides and touchup work on temporal peaks. Doctor said bringing the hairline too much further can cause unnatural look and require more number of grafts.

On the day of surgery:

Arrived at the hospital at 8:00AM and was ready for the surgery. The junior doctors took my pre op pictures and gave anti biotic and anesthesia, dressed up in surgical Apron. Doctor arrived and drew the plan on my head. Doctor suggested to shave the frontal part to make it easier and effective to plant the hair. I was little hesitant to shave because it's gonna look weird than any hairstyle in the world:) I thought what the hell and decided to shave :confused:

Doctor gave the anesthesia at the Donar area and it was painful for a while but after that it was totally numb. Harvested the strip and I asked how many grafts, doctor said approx 2800. the team started separating the grafts into 1's 2's and multi's. Doctor and his assistants started planting the hairs. Later Dr left for a while and the his assistants continued to plant the hair. Dr came after 2 hours and investigated the receipent and suggested some thing to them. It took 5 total hours to complete the surgery. I looked myself in the mirror after the surgery just curious to see how will I look in the future :)

The hair line looked pretty solid but I could not analyse because of the elastic band on my forehead. Dr said I should not take that band off for 3 days.Following are the total number of hairs planted

1's - 1120

2's - 1180

Multi's - 252

total - 2552

I was disappointed by the number of grafts because I was expecting more from the strip, I asked doctor that this is the less number he said he tried but couldn't get more than that. They provided me the some juice and cookies and had the anti biotic and pain killers.

I will upload my pictures soon. I need to take a good pictures. But in the mean time I am attaching my before and after surgery pic, can ya'll please comment on the work done and the hairline.

Reds,

Congratulations! Like Bill said, keep us updated on your progress with a patient website. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I am 8 days post op and I still have scabs on my scalp. Does it take a while for the scabs to fall off or am I washing my hair very sensitively? Can I use the regular shampoo or do I still need to use the baby shampoo?

Reds,

I'm a firm believer that you can use virtually any shampoo you want from the very first day after your hair transplant procedure. I'd just stay away from Nizoral 2% for a couple of week to a month because it tends to dry out the scalp and hair potentially causing additional irritation. At this point, you should be able to wash your hair normally with any other shampoo you'd like.

That said, if your physician has instructed you to continue to use the Baby Shampoo, it's always better to follow your doctor's post-surgical instructions.

Best wishes,

Bill

hello reds,hope your healing up nicely,i am a uk citizan contamplateing going to dr madhu in the new year,i have read lots of good reports about dr madhu and from what you have said it seems you are very pleased with your experiance in india,so i am presumeing you would recomend dr madhu and india as a place to go for a ht? just as a matter of interest how much were you charged as i had seen somewhere that he had resently increased his prices.....hope you acheive your desired goal from your ht ,heal well,,all the best...the work looks neat and tidy..fingers crossed for you...

Edited by 1966kph

Overall I had a good experience with the surgery, but I am just 10 days post op to analyse the results. Dr.Madhu is charging RS 45 rupees per graft. I would suggest to stay atleast 3 to 4 days after the surgery, because you will be stressed out and will have the swelling for atleast 3 days, travelling too far will be even stressfull.