24 year male with diffuse thinning ( suggestions needed )

Hi all,

I am a 24 year male with diffuse thinning. have been on propecia for an year now. I must say that propecia has certainly stopped my hairs from falling. It has helped strengthen my crown.

Weirdly enough my frontal hairline has always been good. If you look at me from the front there is no way you can say I am going bald.

I have been losing hair right from when I was 19 & am now considering a hair transplant. Few doctors whom I visited put me on propecia to see the effects after an year. Although there has been no regrowth the doctor says the individual hair thickness has increased & it would be safe to do a hair transplant now.

Here are a few pics of my scalp. Can you guys help me out? should I go for the transplant or wait for some more time?

" data-controller="core.front.core.autosizeiframe" data-embedid="b29a7a4cc64eb575bf5ce4e531a3811c" allowfullscreen="">" data-controller="core.front.core.autosizeiframe" data-embedId='b28622f2f8688a32462e15c14235c20d' allowfullscreen=''> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15318112@N06/sets/72157602481865229/show/

cricket,

Maybe I'm too conservative, but I would wait to get a HT. You are very young and I think you have somewhat aggresive hairloss for your age; definitely stay on propecia, but I would see how things looked when you are 30 or so; like I said I may be acting conservatively; if you go the HT route go to a coalition doc; also with your pattern, I think it will take a lot of grafts to give you a good cosmetic differance that you will be happy with.

cricketlover,

Welcome to our community!

Are you on any hair loss medication such as Propecia or Rogaine?

Diffuse hair thinners can be good hair transplant candiates but there is may be a risk of permanent shock loss for miniaturized or vellus hairs.

Propecia and/or Rogaine may help strengthen these hairs if you take them 6 months to a year before hair transplantation. I would consider this first before undergoing hair restoration surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

hi you seem to be in the same boat as me but i shaved my hair off because if one more person made a smart comment id do time..hate the way people think they can comment on your hair but if you said ..god you have put loads of weight on it would be a story..i have picture up but people cant see them for some reason?

Cricket lover,

I would give it some more time, use some concealers which work well when you have some diffuse hair. Techniques will continue to improve with time, so that is in your favor.

In the meatime do tons of research!!

Andy,

I left a response to you on your other thread. I know what you mean about the double standard regarding overweight vs bald. The part about that is really irritating is that for the most part you can control your weight, hairloss is much harder to combat.

NoBuzz

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. concealers work well for me. 1 thing I cant seem to understand is my front hairline is fine, which totally puzzles me! its because of my frontal hairline people cant say am going bald.

Bill, I have been on propecia for an year or so & minox/rogaine for over 3 years.

dhoose75,nobuzz4me, I understand what your sayin, I don wanna rush into it as well. I have never had too much hair so I am not lookin for a major cosmetic difference. If I could cover my scalp ( which I can currently using concealers ) tht would be fine

andy25irish, I completely sympathise with u man, but jus ignore all the comments wht ppl say. I went through all the phases of teasin & stuff whn I was teenager itself, so don really care wht ppl say now.

• 8 years later...

Hi, Talking about hair diffusing we need to know the age and from what state particular person has started losing their hair, as you have described your case and seeking for hair transplantation. But looking at your images and through the proper analysis Hair transplantation can be done with proper surgeon. There are several risks regarding it like the risk factor for your permanent hair.

Several medications like Propecia and or Rogaine will help to strengthen your hair life ; talking about donor, if you are having good donor then you can prefer hair transplantation with more secure parameter. Other options like Scalp Micro pigmentation but for that you need to have a proper medical consultation

Hi, Talking about hair diffusing we need to know the age and from what state particular person has started losing their hair, as you have described your case and seeking for hair transplantation. But looking at your images and through the proper analysis Hair transplantation can be done with proper surgeon. There are several risks regarding it like the risk factor for your permanent hair.

Several medications like Propecia and or Rogaine will help to strengthen your hair life ; talking about donor, if you are having good donor then you can prefer hair transplantation with more secure parameter. Other options like Scalp Micro pigmentation but for that you need to have a proper medical consultation