Shockloss questions

Okay, I'm 23 says post-op and my healing has gone incredibly well. I'm back to running and lifting at almost normal rates, and I feel good. Shock loss is definitely happening, not horribly, but the loss is noticeably more than it was pre-op.

I've been on Propecia for 16 days and have supply for 4 more months; so I'll be buying more at month 3 and just continue to use it until something comes along that is proven to be better (which could be many years).

I'm just wondering how bad shock loss can be, when it is at the worst point, when it stops, etc.

Also, what is the scalp supposed to look like, by this time? Mine has a few but not many hairs left from the operation, but the recipient site (if looked at closely) almost looks like a shaved area.

Is everything normal, well, and good?

Thanks,

Chris

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Okay, I'm 23 says post-op and my healing has gone incredibly well. I'm back to running and lifting at almost normal rates, and I feel good. Shock loss is definitely happening, not horribly, but the loss is noticeably more than it was pre-op.

I've been on Propecia for 16 days and have supply for 4 more months; so I'll be buying more at month 3 and just continue to use it until something comes along that is proven to be better (which could be many years).

I'm just wondering how bad shock loss can be, when it is at the worst point, when it stops, etc.

Also, what is the scalp supposed to look like, by this time? Mine has a few but not many hairs left from the operation, but the recipient site (if looked at closely) almost looks like a shaved area.

Is everything normal, well, and good?

Thanks,

Chris

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I think shock loss will tend to peak out at about the 2 month point. Every thing else you mentioned sounds normal. You grafts will mostly shed by about 6 weeks and the area will look like nothing ever happened until they actually start to grow at about the 3 month point.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I'm only 12 days post-op on my second HT, but, after my first HT which was 1 year and 1 month ago..........I think I noticed most of the shock loss between months 1 & 2.

To me, it wasn't that big of a deal because the transplanted hair started coming in about a month after that so there wasn't a real noticable change.

Sounds like your recovery is progressing nicely and you're about where you ought to be at this point. Good luck.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Greetings, I am about 30 days post op, I have noticed some significant shock loss as well. I am still pink but donor site and recipient site seem to be healing well. I hope the shock loss doesn't get worse but probably will.

Good luck

Originally posted by hrthr:

Hairbank, I have a question for you. You said your grafts started coming in in about a month, did you use Rogain?

hrthr,

kg007 hit the nail on the head...........I meant that my transplanted hair started coming in about a month after the shock loss, at about the 2.5 - 3 month mark.

I'm not a big Rogaine fan due to the fact that it's messy and you have to stay with it forever. I'm now 12 days post-op from my 2nd HT and will be starting finasteride any day (when it comes in the mail) and am taking 3000 mg MSM for faster growth of hair when it comes in. I may stop the MSM after a year or so but plan to stick with finasteride for the long haul.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I wonder if BEGINNING the use of propecia, minoxodil or finasteride shortly before (up to 2-3 months prior ) or immediately afterward, actually AGGRAVATE the incidence of shock-loss.

Simce those medicines can cause some shedding shortly after beginning their use, I wonder if timing might be of an issue.

I wonder if someone who has been on a regimen of any or all of those medicines for an extended period of time prior to the procedure might have less of a chance of experiencing shock loss.

I've been wondering about that too...

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I'm also a little itchy, is that normal?

Shock-loss is depressing me. :/

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

it's all normal, been through it all, now just waiting for the results and the hair to grow back in the donar area. if your head is itching it's because your scalp is too dry. using a good moisterizing shampoo and conditioner everyday helps. i also use a little hair oil/creme, olive oil based, at night and in the morning.

I'm not a fan or a user of Minoxidil but have read extensively about it on Internet (contemplated using at one time and felt it wasn't for me) and forums. What I've researched I would probably say Minoxidil and Propecia could defiantly cause an increase in loss (not a fan of the word "SHED" either, makes me feel like I'm referring to an animal of some sort ??“ no offense intended) on top especially if you've had a HT as well. I've read incidents where the person said when they rubbed it on it was like rubbing about their hair away, but I've also read where they were immediate responders and had regrowth and positive results quickly. When I started Propecia I do recall what appeared to be an increase in loss but it didn't last long, been a while so it's hard to recall. I know that many people and some doctors recommend starting these treatments before ever considering a HT (great recommendation) and especially if a person will have one to help strengthen what hair is there. So without ever experiencing some of the things you've tried, but have done a ton of research, timing is probably a big factor. This is just my opinion; keep in mind everyone responds differently to medications, etc. Either way I will pray for nothing but positives on your journey and know that you're not alone.

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

Thanks sir,

I'm experiencing shock-loss and am on Propecia, but cannot tell if the shock-loss is more or less because of the Propecia use or not. I'll never know, since I had an HT 25 days ago and started Propecia 18 days ago.

In any case, I hope the "shedding" period (if that's what it is) from Propecia stops soon, and the shock-loss should cease in about 4 weeks. Once that happens, it will be another 4 weeks form there, and then hair will begin to sprout.

I'm extremely hopeful that my results will be good. I pray that I didn't waste my hard earned money. It's funny; it took me over a year and a half to earn that money, and it took the Doctor and his team 5 hours. Good line of work to be in, I suppose. Hopefully their work is of a quality that justifies the price tag.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

If you itch and hairs come out, they are dark, small and look like eyebrow hairs almost...is that bad? 25 days post op.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by dhuge67:

If you itch and hairs come out, they are dark, small and look like eyebrow hairs almost...is that bad? 25 days post op.

?????????

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

The small transplanted hairs will normally fall out, leaving the follicles embedded in the scalp. This happens as the scabs fall off, which is usually after a couple of weeks. However, they can fall out even after the scabs are gone. I believe that you're OK.

Originally posted by kamin:

The small transplanted hairs will normally fall out, leaving the follicles embedded in the scalp. This happens as the scabs fall off, which is usually after a couple of weeks. However, they can fall out even after the scabs are gone. I believe that you're OK.

Sweet titties!

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I am 1 month post op and it is getting a bit itchy up there and some pimples are there, like 3 or so....

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I had quite a bit of shockloss post op and it was very scary for me, but after 6-7 months it was filling back in nicely and I was SO relieved! For the itching that I experienced, and for quite a while at that, I used Aloe Vera lotion which stopped the itching.