UPDATED 6 Months - Dr. Rahal Surgery 3489 grafts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Day 11 looks great Hairfree! ? It looks like you had a bad haircut. I got the Aloe shampoo at a healthfood store. It's 50% pure Aloe.. Let me tell you my scar is healing about 30% quicker than my last 2 surgeries.At one month it is still pink but with hardly any scab.. Very smooth, This is also due to my dilligent massaging in the shower with the Aloe shampoo and keeping it very clean . the last two surgeries, I was afraid to touch the scar..

ALSO, at 1 month post op, my grafts are still here? Little stubbles .. haha so cute but what the hell!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I have to go find that Aloe shampoo. Right now my scalp where the grafts are looks flaky and dry. Should I be putting pure Aloe on it?

Also, I found three small pimples in the areas where the grafts are. I popped them gently and put light pressure on it. It had some light bleeding. Is that normal for someone on Day 17? Should I be alarmed?

Who brought up Brokeback Mountain??? Nervousnelly...is that your favorite movie??? icon_smile.gif Haha giving you a hard time back!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Haifree,

Hey bro...don't know about the Aloe shampoo...but it definitely is a good idea to use the Aloe Gel on the scalp - it helps with redness, itchiness, dryness, flakeyness, etc.

Regarding the pimples...I am sure you are fine. At 2.5 weeks, you won't lose any follicles at this point...they are secured in your scalp. It might be some of your native hair growing back in creating an in-grown hair. Definitely could happen.

Bill

See the comment below from the Q & A section.

Aloe gel has helped bring down the redness. The greenish tinge is great, could have worn it out for St. Paddy's Day.

Hairfree,

If the fluid is clear, it is probably sebum that has been trapped as the result of an ingrown hair. Applying a warm (not hot) facecloth to the area helps the hair to push through and minimizes scabbing.

If the fluid is yellowish, this would be pus and likely the sign of an infection. Antibiotics might be required.

From following your procedure and aftercare, I would be inclined to say that your case would be the former rather than the latter.

Bayer

Hey guys thanks for your input..

So far no more pimples. The ones that I put pressure on did not return and so far the scalp looks clean. I started to use shampoo with natural oils in it and its been great for the scalp. Today I have no dryness or flaking. I am noticing that some grafts are jumping ship. I found some on my pillow. I can tell that my grafts are getting thinner in the area.

I will post pics later this evening..

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

I don't believe that anyone else has commented but you have (had) a similar hairloss pattern to Pushing40. Both of you had HT very close to the same time so it will be fun to follow the results. He had roughly 1500 more FU but the surface area is similar and therefore it will be interesting to see the difference that the increased graft count provides.

Good luck and keep chin up as you will start to see the little guys disappear.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• 2 weeks later...

I am now past the 1 month mark. 95% of my grafts have shed. I just started Minox one week ago. I decided to hold off till 3 weeks after the surgery to start the minox because I am pretty sensitive to it and wanted to give the scalp a chance to heal. You can see the scabs from a couple small pimples that I had and redness in the area still persists. Its improving slightly. I buzzed the entire head to a 1 clip to blend in everything and I went out last Fri night without a hat and no one noticed. It all depends on the lightning. If in harsh white light directly above then it would be noticable.

I am glad that I went forward with the HT and all the things that I worried about are over. I was most nervous about how I would handle returning to work. So far the hat at work has been working out and only a couple people asked "whats with the hat?"

I decided to tell only my immediate family and close friends about the HT. They we all impressed and fascinated about how it all works. I don't plan to tell anymore people. Now its the long waiting phase. The next couple months will be busy for me so I will be doing my best to keep my mind off it icon_smile.gif

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hey bro,

Good to hear from you and see an updated picture. You look just like I'd expect you too at this point.

Use minoxodil at your discretion at this point, however, I do recommend that if it irritates your skin, that you postpone its use until a little more healing.

Keep using the Aloe...that should help aid healing as well.

The waiting phase has truly begun.

By the way...I'll send you an email too...but maybe we can plan something for this coming weekend if you and your finance are available to get together.

Bill

Bill,

Hey! I will drop you an email to catch up. It was a busy week! Two of the nights this week was dedicated to the wedding planning. You know all about that part icon_smile.gif

I see now you are a candidate for a potential H&W inforcomercial. You could steal some of LeBron James thunder. However, aren't your married??? icon_wink.gif

I would consider hitting Long Island for RTC's BBQ but it is a hike to get up there. We'll have to discuss it in person.

I have been using the minox lightly. I had a couple more pimples this week. Is that normal?? Why am I getting pimples???

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

Oh...I just sent you an email....so we can talk more about the BBQ if you are interested. It is indeed quite a hike...but depending on WHEN they are having it, I might be going.

Pimples are ingrown hairs...sign of activity below. Typically a few weeks to a month after the pimple goes away, hairs begin to break through the surface - or shall I say, they become visible...they may break the surface before that.

Look forward to hearing from you bro.

Bill

Hi Hairfree-

Keep looking forward to the sprouts, my friend. Next month or so will likely be slow-going but after that, watch out!

One question.........how'd your scar look shaved down to a 1 clip?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank,

Good question. Sometimes we tend to focus on the front and top of the head and forget about the scar in the back. It is still pink and I can see hairs growing through. It is a little less noticable now. My hair is grown out a bit more since the 1 clip buzz and the scar is pretty much unoticable. If I go out I will put Dermatch on it for coverage. I don't plan to wear it at 1 clip once the hairs grow in. Lately I have been checking to make sure that the scar isnt stretching.

Bill,

I plan to respond to your email shortly! Thank you for answering my question about the pimples. I was getting worried and even did a search on ingrown hairs on this forum and it was a big help. I was worried that it was a sign of an infection and it appears that everything is perfectly normal. I got plenty of ingrown hairs in the past two weeks and now it is clearing up. I have a few ingrown hairs left and I guess I should expect more of them for another few weeks. I feel like a teenager again!

I am not sure if its new growth yet but I can see very small hairs coming through the scalp in places where I didnt have hair before. They are just breaking through the skin. Only a few here and there. You can barely see them with the naked eye. They could be just hairs growing back from the proscar or shockloss.

I am just waiting for my scalp to go back to looking more normal. It is still slight pinkish and irritated by the ingrown hairs. I am still hiding under the hat. I know now what it feels like to be in the fun doldrums...

I will post some pics of my scar with the month 2 photos. I am at 6 1/2 weeks.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

At 6.5 weeks, seeing any new growth is highly unusual...BUT, it's not impossible. If you are seeing a few new whiter hairs, they very well could be the transplanted hairs. Typically, many will grow like that and slowly thicken and mature over time.

The doldrums suck, but you'll get through them...have faith and soon you will be a hairy beast icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted my Month 2 photos. Not much difference from Month 1 in the photo. I can see many fine white hairs growing in the mirror and I think that they are my native hairs responding to Minox. I see a few darker hairs growing in and I believe they are the transplanted hairs. They are very sparse and hardly visible to the naked eye. Before I thought the peach fuzz was the new transplanted hairs but now I believe that they are hairs responding from Fin and Minox.

I just purchased the Rogaine Foam a couple days ago and two weeks ago I started applying the Rogaine twice a day. So far my scalp has been handling it well. I am still applying Aloe at night before bed. I am also still getting pimples (ingrown hairs) but not as frequently as before, and I have one large egg shape pimple that is slowly going away at the center of my hairline. A couple weeks ago was so large without a white head that I didn't bother to pop it and its improving.

The doldrums suck. I am keeping busy reading postings and trying not to look at my head for new growth every day. I can't wait to get out of this phase.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

Good to hear from you.

I know you want to be out of this phase, but keep the faith brother. You are where you should be for 2 months. 2 months is WAY too early to see if you have any new growth sprouts. Normally I wait until at least month 3 before I start scrutinizing myself in the mirror icon_wink.gif. Even then, it's way too early.

Of course, it still appears that your scalp is pretty red at 2 months. I know my scalp was a bit red after my second HT until month 4 which I wasn't a fan of. Consider asking Dr. Rahal if he recommends anything for scalp redness.

Hope to hear from you soon brother,

Bill

Hey Hairfree,

Thanks for posting the update. 2 months is a very tough time...................waiting sucks, no doubt. Especially when you're not starting to see much growth but definitely par for the course.

Nice thing is, though the pimples/ingrowns are a pain, it means you'll be experiencing mucho action very, very soon. I'm guessing even by months 3/4 your're going to start seeing those little guys popping up right and left!

Hang in there,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Bill and Hairbank,

Thank you for putting things into perspective for me. I am looking for growth way too early and only setting myself up for disapointment in the early stages. I liked Spex's thread about how we have to be patient during the growing process. He made a good point. If we look in the mirror every day we won't notice anything!!

Bill,

I think the redness looked worse on camera because I had just applied the Rogaine before the shot. Lately I have been able to go out in the evenings without a hat and no one comments the redness and those who don't know I had a HT even comment how good the buzz cut looks. The redness is improving. I am still using the Aloe and its working! This weekend I will be in South Beach for a few days of fun with my friends. I will post some photos from Miami for everyone to see some real life shots. I will be back on Sunday and maybe we can get together for a BBQ next week at my place with the ladies. I will be in touch!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

Glad to hear the redness was amplified in the photo due to minox.

I'm up for the BBQ thing bro. Just let me know and we'll plan it. Have fun in South Beach...I'm jealous! I'm hoping in a few weeks to be able to at least go down to the shore (Ocean City NJ) for the day...probably June 23rd if one of my best female friends is available to go.

Bill

• 1 month later...

I just returned from vacation at the Jersey shore. July 4th was my 3 month mark. I just posted my 3 month photo.

I am very happy and excited about the results so far. I have been going out more now without the hat. I have been keeping it shaved down to a #1 clip and in the past few days I let it grow out. I plan to let it grow from this point on. My fiance' keeps bugging me to let it grow out. I got to have some hair for my weddding on Oct 27th!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs